U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:08 PM

24 posts, read 45,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If you would consider working in a data center there are data centers in Kings Mountain & Maiden. You could also look for openings in Gastonia.

There are some small mom & pop type Asian food markets west of Charlotte. I'd like to see H-Mart come out here.

Most of the growth has been north & south of Charlotte. west of Charlotte was previously more established & lost mills. These communities are still reinventing themselves.

Basically, the population west of Charlotte, from Belmont to Kings Mountain, is a blend of natives & transplants. These are suburbs, not bedroom communities. Living in any of these towns means that you can do most of your shopping in Gastonia.
Sounds like I'm a bit away from shopping areas if I live in Belmont. . What about north or south of Charlotte? Is commute from North better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 08:23 PM

23 posts, read 31,980 times
I know the 710 freeway in L.A. that you mentioned.
Grand Asia is the only game in town around Matthews & surrounding areas. Alhambra is very different from here, so be prepared for that. Def much less in terms of Asian food offerings & influences here.
Can't speak to the North, but South Charlotte has lots of transplants from all over with decent schools.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:45 PM

1,048 posts, read 961,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscai View Post
I have received a offer in the Charlotte Uptown area working in IT, will be moving to Charlotte in the next few weeks. What's a good area to buy a house that's not too far from there, hopefully under 30 minutes commute.. we have a baby boy, so looking for good school district.. my wife and I are Asian (Chinese), so we would like Asian super market not too far away looking for house around 300k +/-, any suggestions? How is the Matthews area? I heard the ballantyne area is nice but seem traffic to uptown from there is pretty bad.

Also any tips on moving cars/stuff across country cheap?
Nothing has changed much in Charlotte, NC as far as your questions...that I see you asked back in 2013. Did you ever bother to fly here for a week or two in those 2 yrs to check out the areas you were suggested in 2013?
One thing HAS changed. The schools now have a grading system and you may GOOGLE that to see what schools will be a good 'fit' for you.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:20 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,815,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKplus3 View Post
Grand Asia is the only game in town around Matthews & surrounding areas. Alhambra is very different from here, so be prepared for that. Def much less in terms of Asian food offerings & influences here.
Can't speak to the North, but South Charlotte has lots of transplants from all over with decent schools.
Super G Mart on Independence is a wonderful Asian grocery store.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:48 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,176,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscai View Post
I have received a offer in the Charlotte Uptown area working in IT, will be moving to Charlotte in the next few weeks. What's a good area to buy a house that's not too far from there, hopefully under 30 minutes commute.. we have a baby boy, so looking for good school district.. my wife and I are Asian (Chinese), so we would like Asian super market not too far away looking for house around 300k +/-, any suggestions? How is the Matthews area? I heard the ballantyne area is nice but seem traffic to uptown from there is pretty bad.

Also any tips on moving cars/stuff across country cheap?
Taking advice from some on this thread is very risky. Many have nothing better to do than act like Dr. Phil because they have nothing better to do with their free time. If I were moving from here to CA, I would do some major homework. Your bright and am sure acclimated to doing research. I would ask the hiring company HR manager if they have a real estate relocation person or referral for realtor. Moving a family on a whim is not what I would do, but some like to play Indiana Jones. Why not find an apartment for a month for yourself so you can get a feel for things and then plant your roots before you send the family?

Going Cheap is going to get you Cheap and may cause your family grief. Is cheap worth paying for?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Nothing has changed much in Charlotte, NC as far as your questions...that I see you asked back in 2013. Did you ever bother to fly here for a week or two in those 2 yrs to check out the areas you were suggested in 2013?
One thing HAS changed. The schools now have a grading system and you may GOOGLE that to see what schools will be a good 'fit' for you.
funny you noticed I asked back in 2013 Yes, couldn't decide because it's a big change, but with the wife and new kid and not having 750k to spend on a house here, it just makes sense now.

I heard Raleigh is also nice, lots of IT jobs and less traffic, I wish I looked at Raleigh a bit more - didn't even hear of it before but a lot of people is telling it's nice..should I have picked Raleigh instead? I I know that's a different topic..

Last edited by michaelscai; 05-06-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKplus3 View Post
We don't expect it to be like LA, the draw is affordability and less people.. I didn't know traffic is so bad from south of Charlotte to uptown though.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Taking advice from some on this thread is very risky. Many have nothing better to do than act like Dr. Phil because they have nothing better to do with their free time. If I were moving from here to CA, I would do some major homework. Your bright and am sure acclimated to doing research. I would ask the hiring company HR manager if they have a real estate relocation person or referral for realtor. Moving a family on a whim is not what I would do, but some like to play Indiana Jones. Why not find an apartment for a month for yourself so you can get a feel for things and then plant your roots before you send the family?

Going Cheap is going to get you Cheap and may cause your family grief. Is cheap worth paying for?
I find some of the information helpful.. and yes it's a good way to kill time

Old 05-07-2015, 07:09 AM

569 posts, read 1,224,896 times
Sir, let me make a suggestion if I may. Many of the posters here live in the burbs, south, north, anywhere but close in. You might want to consider closer to inner city. The eastside in particular, I talking about off of Central Av in areas such as Merry Oaks, Eastway Park, Commonwealth Park. These areas are close in, less than a 15 minute drive uptown. They also have more of an LA feel to them, lots of culture. Central Av has an area called Saigon Square that is a few blocks worth of Asian food and markets. The schools in these areas are getting better, not as good as some of the outer areas but more people are moving in because they do not want to deal with traffic. Also might want to look in Oakhurst or even inner city southside such as Madison Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte