U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM
 
24 posts, read 45,211 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

I have received a offer in the Charlotte Uptown area working in IT, will be moving to Charlotte in the next few weeks. What's a good area to buy a house that's not too far from there, hopefully under 30 minutes commute.. we have a baby boy, so looking for good school district.. my wife and I are Asian (Chinese), so we would like Asian super market not too far away looking for house around 300k +/-, any suggestions? How is the Matthews area? I heard the ballantyne area is nice but seem traffic to uptown from there is pretty bad.

Also any tips on moving cars/stuff across country cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2015, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,658 posts, read 1,861,744 times
Reputation: 1478
Matthews is a pretty good area. It's biggest negative is the commute down US 74 towards Uptown, though it's not as bad as commuting from Ballantyne.

There's actually a large Asian market right there on US 74 on the way from Matthews to Uptown. I think it's called 'O-Mart'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 AM
 
24 posts, read 45,211 times
Reputation: 18
How long does it take to travel from Ballantyne to uptown during rush hour? are there plan to widen 485?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 10:01 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,982 posts, read 27,269,275 times
Reputation: 9008
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscai View Post
I have received a offer in the Charlotte Uptown area working in IT, will be moving to Charlotte in the next few weeks. What's a good area to buy a house that's not too far from there, hopefully under 30 minutes commute.. we have a baby boy, so looking for good school district.. my wife and I are Asian (Chinese), so we would like Asian super market not too far away looking for house around 300k +/-, any suggestions? How is the Matthews area? I heard the ballantyne area is nice but seem traffic to uptown from there is pretty bad.

Also any tips on moving cars/stuff across country cheap?
Belmont is in the 30 minute commute zone. If you look in areas of Belmont & Cramerton which is the next town out, so a few minutes more, look for houses zoned to Cramerton Middle School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,811,900 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscai View Post
How long does it take to travel from Ballantyne to uptown during rush hour? are there plan to widen 485?
Here's some existing threads that may help:

Does anyone know when I-485 (around Ballantyne) construction will be completed
Commute to Uptown from Ballantyne in rush hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 10:42 PM
 
24 posts, read 45,211 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Belmont is in the 30 minute commute zone. If you look in areas of Belmont & Cramerton which is the next town out, so a few minutes more, look for houses zoned to Cramerton Middle School.
Belmont seem nice..where else should I consider that doesn't have a crazy commute..its also preferred if it's close to other IT jobs/eemployers. Why do people like to live south of charlotte even though the commute is bad, whats the draw there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 11:00 PM
 
24 posts, read 45,211 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I don't think I want to drive 1 hr to work from ballantyne..I didnt ditch LA traffic to sign up for this so I guess that area is not for me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 04:45 AM
 
23 posts, read 31,954 times
Reputation: 14
Grand Asia Supermarket in Matthews.

Maybe rent before you buy, to get a feel for areas and neighborhoods. It's vastly different here than L.A. Not sure what county you are in there, but if you can handle 110 traffic, that is nothing compared to traffic here on the 485 even at the worst times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 07:43 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,982 posts, read 27,269,275 times
Reputation: 9008
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscai View Post
Belmont seem nice..where else should I consider that doesn't have a crazy commute..its also preferred if it's close to other IT jobs/eemployers. Why do people like to live south of charlotte even though the commute is bad, whats the draw there?
If you would consider working in a data center there are data centers in Kings Mountain & Maiden. You could also look for openings in Gastonia.

There are some small mom & pop type Asian food markets west of Charlotte. I'd like to see H-Mart come out here.

Most of the growth has been north & south of Charlotte. west of Charlotte was previously more established & lost mills. These communities are still reinventing themselves.

Basically, the population west of Charlotte, from Belmont to Kings Mountain, is a blend of natives & transplants. These are suburbs, not bedroom communities. Living in any of these towns means that you can do most of your shopping in Gastonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 07:01 PM
 
24 posts, read 45,211 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKplus3 View Post
Grand Asia Supermarket in Matthews.

Maybe rent before you buy, to get a feel for areas and neighborhoods. It's vastly different here than L.A. Not sure what county you are in there, but if you can handle 110 traffic, that is nothing compared to traffic here on the 485 even at the worst times.
for four years, I drive on 710 from Alhambra to torrance, 28 miles one way.. so yeah I can handle some traffic.. on the other hand inmgetting weary of commute.

Yeah I plan to rent for a while before I buy.. so Matthews is close to Asian markets. .sounds like a good area for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top