U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
42 posts, read 83,455 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

We arrive in CLT on Saturday evening. Four kids -- 5yo twin boys, a 2.5yo girl, and a 3mos girl -- four carseats, and one dog. And NINE suitcases. I have never been to Charlotte. My dh has been there exactly once, and that was just for his job interview. I literally have no idea how we're going to get from the airport to our rental car place and then from there to our apartment, with everyone and everything. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm totally freaking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 PM
 
Location: South Charlotte
1,435 posts, read 5,229,486 times
Reputation: 486
That must have been one heck of a job offer!

You can take the airport shuttle from baggage claim to the rental car dropoff/pickup points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Union County, NC
1,891 posts, read 5,555,697 times
Reputation: 749
First breathe...

OK, I am 3 carseats, one dog, and one kid less than you when we travel. Usually we are spot on with the suitcases. What we do is have one person pick up the car with one or two of the kids, and leave the other person with the other kids and all the baggage. Then they have to come and pick up the rest of the family and the baggage. For all of you out there without kids and think this sounds easy, it is NOT

Seriously, just take your time, people will offer to help and really mean it. Get one of those rolly things and stack all your luggage on top of it. But really, just take your time. Things really do have a way of working out

Let us know how it goes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
42 posts, read 83,455 times
Reputation: 15
Thanks for the breathe suggestion, my dh is threatening to get me drunk so I'll calm down a little!

I'm just trying to figure out logistically, can 9 suitcases fit in 2 rental cars?-- one is a minivan and one is a regular size? -- and is Reafield Village close to the airport?

80% of our stuff here in AZ is going into storage and we won't have it back til we move into a house, and I'm just hoping that the 20% that's going to our apartment is stuff we need...

I'm just flipping out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:59 PM
 
148 posts, read 418,420 times
Reputation: 81
Would it be possible to get a service to pick you up at the airport? Let them know ahead of time what you need. (2 cars, enough room for your luggage and car seats, etc.) That way you and your husband can stay together and you won't have to drive right away. You can pick up the rental cars later. Just get to where you are headed and settle in. Yes, it will cost a bit, but it may be worth it in peace of mind. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Moon Over Palmettos
5,975 posts, read 17,595,570 times
Reputation: 5009
Quote:
Originally Posted by West&East View Post
Would it be possible to get a service to pick you up at the airport? Let them know ahead of time what you need. (2 cars, enough room for your luggage and car seats, etc.) That way you and your husband can stay together and you won't have to drive right away. You can pick up the rental cars later. Just get to where you are headed and settle in. Yes, it will cost a bit, but it may be worth it in peace of mind. Good luck!
yes..like a limo...same cost as 2 rental cars maybe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3,356 posts, read 8,883,089 times
Reputation: 1932
As per Mapquest

1: Start out going SOUTHWEST on RC JOSH BIRMINGHAM PKWY. 0.2 miles Map
2: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT. 0.1 miles Map
3: Turn RIGHT onto RENTAL CAR RD. 0.1 miles Map
4: Turn LEFT to stay on RENTAL CAR RD. <0.1 miles Map
5: Turn RIGHT onto OLD DOWD RD. 0.1 miles Map
6: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto LITTLE ROCK RD. 0.3 miles Map
7: Turn LEFT onto WILKINSON BLVD / US-29 S / US-74 W. 1.6 miles Map
8: Merge onto I-485 S via the ramp on the LEFT toward PINEVILLE. 13.0 miles Map
9: Merge onto PINEVILLE-MATTHEWS RD / NC-51 N via EXIT 64A toward MATTHEWS. 2.9 miles Map
10: Turn LEFT onto BAYBROOK LN. <0.1 miles Map
11: Turn LEFT onto REAFIELD DR. <0.1 miles Map
12: Turn LEFT to stay on REAFIELD DR. <0.1 miles Map
13: End at Reafield Village:
6609 Reafield Dr, Charlotte, NC 28226, US Map
Total Est. Time: 25 minutes Total Est. Distance: 18.90 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3,356 posts, read 8,883,089 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomayula View Post
, and I'm just hoping that the 20% that's going to our apartment is stuff we need...
I moved here with what ever fitted in a hired SUV, it was 3 months before I got everything else here (including the wife).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Union County, NC
1,891 posts, read 5,555,697 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomayula View Post
Thanks for the breathe suggestion, my dh is threatening to get me drunk so I'll calm down a little!

I'm just trying to figure out logistically, can 9 suitcases fit in 2 rental cars?-- one is a minivan and one is a regular size? -- and is Reafield Village close to the airport?

80% of our stuff here in AZ is going into storage and we won't have it back til we move into a house, and I'm just hoping that the 20% that's going to our apartment is stuff we need...

I'm just flipping out.

Yes, I think that 9 suitcases can fit. I'd say Reafield Village is about 20-25 minutes from the airport. Ok, since you're getting two rental cars, the thing about one of you picking up everyone else won't work. They have vans that take you to the rental car place. Wait for the van to come, you get all the kids on the van and sit 'em down. Then watch your husband load the luggage, etc on to the rental car van. Usually the rental van guy will help you (I mean he will help your husband). I know it seems overwhelming, but remember that in the span of your lifetime, this is a very small part. And I hope a year from now you'll read this and it will be a distant memory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2008, 06:26 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomayula View Post
We arrive in CLT on Saturday evening. Four kids -- 5yo twin boys, a 2.5yo girl, and a 3mos girl -- four carseats, and one dog. And NINE suitcases. I have never been to Charlotte. My dh has been there exactly once, and that was just for his job interview. I literally have no idea how we're going to get from the airport to our rental car place and then from there to our apartment, with everyone and everything. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm totally freaking out.
Dooma - got your PM. Would call you back right now, but it is too early there w/ time difference! DH and I will be glad to help you. I will be calling you back in a bit so we can talk. Posted this in case you see it b/f I call you.

We have large SUV . . . (but very green! - runs on ethanol, Hee Hee). We have adult kids who have been helped out by others many times . . . and we know how it is, having moved x country ourselves.

We are only 20 mins. from airport so this is no problem for us - we look forward to meeting you and helping you all get settled in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top