U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 PM

43,284 posts, read 51,805,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I would imagine DSS would maintain a list of sorts when it comes to directing people for assistance. Maybe?

If, by any chance, the above family includes a member with a developmental disability they should contact ARC. Just taking a stab in the dark here.

I * thought * churches were the place to go for assistance (or direction to some agency that can help) regardless of the time of year.

Sara
All the churches I contacted said the same thing - they put all their efforts into helping with Christmas baskets and things like Operation Christmas Child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 AM

118 posts, read 299,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamleitzey View Post
Please help me locate a churches or organizations that are giving food baskets or vouchers for Thanksgiving? I unexpectedly lost my job and I have a daughter in college coming home for Thanksgiving and I want to be able to have a Thanksgiving dinner with her. Mom in need
Try Crisis Menistries or DSS.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblkqueen View Post
Try Crisis Menistries or DSS.
They don't do baskets either - though I am sure if Kesha needs some help with an electric bill or paying rent they would try to help.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:01 PM

272 posts, read 507,971 times
Smile thanksgiving meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamleitzey View Post
Please help me locate a churches or organizations that are giving food baskets or vouchers for Thanksgiving? I unexpectedly lost my job and I have a daughter in college coming home for Thanksgiving and I want to be able to have a Thanksgiving dinner with her. Mom in need
You can contact First Baptist Church in Mooresville,They also have two satellite locations this year. The meal is free and open to anyone!they also have a site at Mooresville Thanksgiving

Old 11-16-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunter View Post
You can contact First Baptist Church in Mooresville,They also have two satellite locations this year. The meal is free and open to anyone!they also have a site at Mooresville Thanksgiving
What a great link! THANK YOU so much for posting

Old 11-09-2011, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 636 times
Default Thanksgiving Help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
My wife and I were talking about helping a family in need this thanksgiving. If you are truly in need please contact me.

Thanks,
Hello I came across this site when i googled Thanksgiving assistance. I am a single parent of a 6 yr old girl and I recently lost my job at Wachovia due to the conversion with Wells Fargo. I have absolutley no income and I am clueless how to have a Thanksgiving dinner or even Christmas for my daughter. Its disturbing that this may be the year I will have to explain to my daughter that there is NO SANTA. I have checked all local resources that I could think of in my area and all attempts were a dead end. I have checked with DSS and they are NO longer sponsoring low/no income families. I also checked with Crisis Ministries and they assist with rent, utilities and clothing. I have contacted United Way and I was advised there is no program for Thanksgiving assistance. Any information or guuidance is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah12605 View Post
Hello I came across this site when i googled Thanksgiving assistance. I am a single parent of a 6 yr old girl and I recently lost my job at Wachovia due to the conversion with Wells Fargo. I have absolutley no income and I am clueless how to have a Thanksgiving dinner or even Christmas for my daughter. Its disturbing that this may be the year I will have to explain to my daughter that there is NO SANTA. I have checked all local resources that I could think of in my area and all attempts were a dead end. I have checked with DSS and they are NO longer sponsoring low/no income families. I also checked with Crisis Ministries and they assist with rent, utilities and clothing. I have contacted United Way and I was advised there is no program for Thanksgiving assistance. Any information or guuidance is greatly appreciated.
I would be happy to talk to you on direct message

Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,844,272 times
Quote:
I am so sorry to hear of your situation. Although I don't live in Charlotte, I know our local Salvation Army helps many families in need for the holidays. My whole family (my Mom and siblings) decided this year to sponser a family instead of buying unnecessary gifts for each other. My mother contacted The Salvation Army a couple days ago for a family for whom we will buy gifts and provide Christmas dinner. We don't have a lot of extra income, but it feels good to do something. Maybe The Salvation Army in Charlotte could give you and your daughter a helping hand this season?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 AM

3,117 posts, read 3,461,856 times
Quote:
Crisis Assistance helps w/rent and utilities so that you have your own money left over for other things you might need, such as Thanksgiving dinner. They are also right next to the Salvation Army and Second Harvest Food Bank. You will surely be able to find help in any of those places.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,137,374 times
Quote:

Sometimes schools sponsor families at Christmas. Contact your child's school conselor (if she is of school age) to see if they are doing anything of the like for Christmas or even Thanksgiving. My church does backpacks of love to families through an elementary school (Lebanon) for children to have something to eat on weekends. You may also ask the school about this if you are lucky and your child goes to Lebanon you may be able to get on the list ]there. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte