U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,065 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

My family and I are moving to the concord area in the next few weeksfrom the Austin area in Texas. I have read a few threads about the area but didn't much from them, wanted to get some information on the area such as crime, schools, traffic the usual things. Also fun things to do on the weekends for my kids(8 & 10). Are there any recreational sport leagues? My son loves playing soccer and football. We are moving into the Ivydale subdivision near Lowe's motor speedway which I am excited about since I love NASCAR. Any information would be greatly appreciated as it is hard to find out things from miles away. We moved from florida a few months ago thinking Texas was the place to call home but things are not welcoming here so North Carolina here we come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 09:36 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,016,948 times
Concord does have it's "draws" one of my favorites is the huge outdoor store, hunting, fishing, boating, birding, biking, canoes, camping, my wife says I go into sensory overload every time we visit there. Both Florida and Texas are warmer climates than here, not that Concord is cold, just cooler temp wise. One little thing bothers me somewhat, you moved from Florida because it wasn't home, understandable, way too hot for me too, and Texas wasn't the right place either. Sometimes it isn't the place that is the problem, expectations of anywhere being perfect are not realistic. Crabby neighbors, unruly kids, differing school systems, stray dogs and tight job markets, et al are everywhere, particularly in our present economic straits. Perfection is an illusion, a home is what we make of it and changing locations sometimes means we are packing up our problems and bringing them with us.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,065 times
Definately not looking for perfection I know that is not possible as things happen daily and we are always kept on our toes. I moved from Scotland when I was 12 with my family to Florida and have always had the longing of living in a place that reminded me of that. We thought Texas would be that place however I think it is worse than florida and we obviously didn't make a good choice in moving to tx to begin with I prefer the smaller towns with people who are real and down to earth. I have worked within the school systems for 5 years and the job market in tx is not great unless you are in the IT or financial sector. My husband has been in the towing industry for years and it is no longer what it used to be and he has a truck driving opportunity in Concord. Yes home is what you make of it, but you should also be happy in the town you live in.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,124 times
Moderator cut: tos violation

is not possible as things happen daily and we are always kept on our toes. I moved from Scotland when I was 12 with my family to Florida and have always had the longing of living in a place that reminded me of that. We thought Texas would be that place however I think it is worse than florida and we obviously didn't make a good choice in moving to tx to begin with I prefer the smaller towns with people who are real and down to earth. I have worked within the school systems for 5 years and the job market in tx is not great unless you are in the IT or financial sector. My husband has been in the towing industry for years and it is no longer what it used to be and he has a truck driving opportunity in Concord. Yes home is what you make of it, but you should also be happy in the town you live in.[/quote]

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-18-2008 at 04:15 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 01:44 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,667,896 times
I moved from Texas 2 years ago, you will like it here. I moved from Dallas, so it wasn't Austin, but you will find it less hot/humid and a little chillier. Austin has quite a bit of ambiance, concord, not so much. Concord is new and growing and cheaper than Austin. I loved Austins, river area (silly bats and all) and 4th st. I wish we had a 4th st. Concord is quite Suberbia, a huge Mall area right there and NAscar. Football is not as big here as in Texas, but then again is any place like Texas in that sense. Basketball is the rage, Soccer is average. I don't see any reason your kids won't find plenty of things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte