U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM

672 posts, read 1,644,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
For some reason I thought your daughter was middle school age, sorry! The middle school age is where the tuition jumps up over $6000 in the Catholic schools. But you are right the elementary tuition is still under $5000, closer to $4000 actually.

And just to clarify for other newcomers who are reading this and might be interested in Catholic schools in Charlotte - there are no Catholic schools in Pineville, though Catholic High is close to Pineville. There is only one elementary school in southern Mecklenburg - St. Matthews. There are 3 other elementary schools just south of uptown, one in east Charlotte and one in the north end of the county in Huntersville. Many newcomers are surprised to discover there are not a lot of Catholic schools here in Charlotte at all.
True, they probably are not in Pineville just close to Pineville. I didn't look into them as they were too far away as it was. Thanks Barb for the Palasades school, forgot about that one, waiting on a reply from them now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,184,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
True, they probably are not in Pineville just close to Pineville. I didn't look into them as they were too far away as it was. Thanks Barb for the Palasades school, forgot about that one, waiting on a reply from them now.
I know south Charlotte seems far away to you now, but I can assure you lots of people travel further to get to the good schools in south Charlotte. I lived in Steele Creek when my youngest was in elementary school and we made the drive up to Providence Rd every day - it was just what we had to do to get the school we wanted for him and his brother. I had a portable tv in the back of the van and they watched cartoons for the duration of the drive Not for everyone, I know. But sometimes rethinking a situation and coming at it from another angle helps us to see what is and isn't possible. I just don't think you are going to find anything like you want in less than 25 minutes, sorry.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,928,139 times
Quote:
For some reason I thought your daughter was middle school age, sorry! The middle school age is where the tuition jumps up over $6000 in the Catholic schools. But you are right the elementary tuition is still under $5000, closer to $4000 actually.

And just to clarify for other newcomers who are reading this and might be interested in Catholic schools in Charlotte - there are no Catholic schools in Pineville, though Catholic High is close to Pineville. There is only one elementary school in southern Mecklenburg - St. Matthews. There are 3 other elementary schools just south of uptown, one in east Charlotte and one in the north end of the county in Huntersville. Many newcomers are surprised to discover there are not a lot of Catholic schools here in Charlotte at all.
Very true. With more Catholics moving to the area, hopefully this will change. There are some Lutheran schools . . . longer tradition in area . . . but I don't think any of them would be closer than 35 or so minutes from Steele Creek. ???

Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 AM

672 posts, read 1,644,992 times
Quote:
I know south Charlotte seems far away to you now, but I can assure you lots of people travel further to get to the good schools in south Charlotte. I lived in Steele Creek when my youngest was in elementary school and we made the drive up to Providence Rd every day - it was just what we had to do to get the school we wanted for him and his brother. I had a portable tv in the back of the van and they watched cartoons for the duration of the drive Not for everyone, I know. But sometimes rethinking a situation and coming at it from another angle helps us to see what is and isn't possible. I just don't think you are going to find anything like you want in less than 25 minutes, sorry.
This is why I have created this thread to see if there are any others in my area. I found one in Ft. Mill that is pricy, one in Steele Creek that doesn't have a website, and the two university model schools. I am looking to see if anyone else knows or has seen any in my area. We have a dvd in our suv, but when my toddler has had enough, there's no explaining to him to look at things from another angle, I'm sure you know how that goes.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,184,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Very true. With more Catholics moving to the area, hopefully this will change. There are some Lutheran schools . . . longer tradition in area . . . but I don't think any of them would be closer than 35 or so minutes from Steele Creek. ???
Exactly. Steele Creek, while being rich in history, was practically the last side of the county to be developed (and is still being developed). So there really aren't many private school options in that area yet. It is also one of the last sides to get it's own hospital too.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:22 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,928,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
This is why I have created this thread to see if there are any others in my area. I found one in Ft. Mill that is pricy, one in Steele Creek that doesn't have a website, and the two university model schools. I am looking to see if anyone else knows or has seen any in my area. We have a dvd in our suv, but when my toddler has had enough, there's no explaining to him to look at things from another angle, I'm sure you know how that goes.
HEE HEE HEE. Yep, we all know what you mean!!!!! When my youngest was about 1 1/2, he got hooked on a particular music tape/cassette. And so I would have to play that over and over - he would kind of try to sing along w/ it. I got sooooo sick of that tape, over and over and over . . . but hey - better than hearing him wail. Amazing what will soothe them and what won't. And how short the solution can last! LOL!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte