U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,160 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Charlotte for 11 years, I am interested in moving, I have a degree in Workforce Education and Development. I am a 40 year old single black woman looking for a change and challenge. Charlotte is nice, but really crowded and overrated. I am looking for small towm with a big town attitude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 11:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 54,481,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedtoMove View Post
I have lived in Charlotte for 11 years, I am interested in moving, I have a degree in Workforce Education and Development. I am a 40 year old single black woman looking for a change and challenge. Charlotte is nice, but really crowded and overrated. I am looking for small towm with a big town attitude
Greensboro has become my favorite city in this state.
I live in Huntersville so I am very familiar with the challenges you face in Charlotte and I grew up in the Triad.
Reason Greensboro is my favorite is
People. Majority of the people are still friendly North Carolina born and bred.
The downtown is lively and vibrant yet still has that classic southern town charm.
Wide selection of places to shop and eat also you can find chain or mom and pop type places.
Traffic is a cake walk compare to Charlotte. The road infrasture is way ahead in my opinion to other metro areas of this state.
If you ever get bored with Greensboro hanging out in Winston Salem is only 15 minutes away and not to far from Raliegh.
You can get alot more house and land than where you are coming from.
I can notice a differnce in each area attitudes and Greensboro is most friendly in comparison.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,453,047 times
I think Greensboro or Winston-Salem could be good for you. Both cities have that urban vibe if you dont really want to leave city life all together. They are half the size of Charlotte and dont have the headaches that are associated with big cities. Its a nice fit because the Triad is centrally between Charlotte and Raleigh so you dont have to travel far should you need to go to either Charlotte or Raleigh. Even if you dont want to live in Greensboro or Winston-Salem proper there are dozens of smaller communities that surround those cities. If you are choosing between Greensboro and Winston-Salem I guess it depends on your lifestyle. Winston-Salem is a little smaller than Greensboro but Winston's downtown looks more like a big city and has more jobs in the downtown area. Thats reflective of Winston's past which at one time was the largest city in North Carolina. Winston is a very artsy communities. Greensboro has more restaraunt options, shopping and entertainment options and has a much more vibrant downtown nightlife which caters to the young 18-25 crowd and the sophisticated 30+ age crowd. Greensboro has many parks and it also a slow pace city thats great for families. Greensboro has that small town and big city vibe going on. Personally I like Greensboro because it seems to just have more options and the people are really friendly. The city is becoming more and more progressive as the city just recently elected its first African-American Mayor Yvonne Johnson. Yvonne is also the first black mayor of any of the Triad's big cities.

But like I said it depends on your lifestlye and where you plan to work. Most people like to live as close to their job as possible. But my recomendation based on what the city has to offer is Greensboro.

Last edited by gsoboi; 01-18-2008 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 PM

5,212 posts, read 14,235,077 times
Thanks for sharing. I don't see any questions in your post, so I'm assuming that you are just saying "Hello!"? Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 PM

934 posts, read 805,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Thanks for sharing. I don't see any questions in your post, so I'm assuming that you are just saying "Hello!"? Welcome to the forum.
Think shes asking which towns might fit her best!

None of our small towns have a big town 'feel'- at least none that I can think of. But most are convenient to larger areas such as raleigh or durham, so going there for dinner or a show or something wouldnt be much of a journey...

Old 01-18-2008, 02:39 PM

38 posts, read 106,126 times
Agreed. I can't speak for Wake County, but in Orange and Chatham counties, Hillsborough, Chapel Hill & Carrboro, and Pittsboro all offer a small town feel with great access to amenities. Depending on your price point and what you're looking for, you should have great choice. Each of these towns offers a lot of diversity, too. :-)

Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,615,465 times
I'd recommend you try Durham. I've always been impressed with how cosmopolitan it is for a place its size. It also have a large number of African-American professionals, including many elected officials. Its a very unique place.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,274,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedtoMove View Post
Think twice about moving. I have left Charlotte 2 times and always come back. Last time I moved to the TRIAD and stayed 18 months and could not wait to get back to Charlotte.

The TRIAD is a geat area, but doesn't offer anything like Charlotte. You can't even compare the 2.

Charlotte does have head aches but what large city doesn't. Charlotte really offers something for everyone. There are definately more professional african americans in Charlotte than the Triad!

Good luck with your decision, but think twice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte