Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:18 PM

27 posts, read 44,211 times

Advertisements

I live in gastonia, commute to mooresville. It's an hour with normal traffic. That's IF there's nothing wrong on 77 or 85 (which routinely happens at least once a week), which puts me taking 150 to 321.

If you do commute, my best advice is to read up on waze or google maps before getting on the road to prevent getting stuck in a parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 03:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjess1951 View Post
I actually work in Gastonia and live right next to the Panther's stadium. I have a very easy drive on 85 in the morning.

I also drove part of the commute on Friday at 3 p.m. It was AWFUL!! I'm not sure it would be only 45 minutes.
Right now (5:02 PM), google maps is saying 29 minutes from Davidson to BofA Stadium.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:58 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Right now (5:02 PM), google maps is saying 29 minutes from Davidson to BofA Stadium.
You can also do a historical mapping of the route at various times on various days to get a good idea of traffic flow. I hadn't used that feature in Google Maps until recently traveling to Houston, where I'm not familiar with their traffic, and used it to map out the best times to leave and get around going against the worst traffic. Pretty cool feature.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:46 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
I-77 between I-485 & Davidson is pretty hopeless most days during business hours and mostly stopped during commuting hours. I live in Huntersville, I don't commute, but in driving over the overpasses I-77 is often moving at a snails pace in both directions even in mid morning and afternoon. It seems to have gotten a lot worse, for some reason in the past year or so. It surprises me that even the reverse commute is bad. One of the members of this household works in Mooresville and it routinely takes over an hour to make that 11 mile drive in the evenings.

In regards to the tolling of I-77, there are a lot of interests working to have that road stopped and I believe even the Governor might have said something to it recently. Furthermore, the foreign company the state picked to do the job has had financial issues in other states. i.e. Don't count on that road bringing relief until they actually stick a shovel into the ground. (oh and it won't be cheap to drive)

My advice is that if you want to work in Davidson and don't like traffic, then you should look at living in Davidson, Cornelius, possibly Huntersville or Mooresville. Else, you probably don't want to take that job.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:07 AM

416 posts, read 395,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I-77 between I-485 & Davidson is pretty hopeless most days during business hours and mostly stopped during commuting hours. I live in Huntersville, I don't commute, but in driving over the overpasses I-77 is often moving at a snails pace in both directions even in mid morning and afternoon. It seems to have gotten a lot worse, for some reason in the past year or so. It surprises me that even the reverse commute is bad. One of the members of this household works in Mooresville and it routinely takes over an hour to make that 11 mile drive in the evenings.

In regards to the tolling of I-77, there are a lot of interests working to have that road stopped and I believe even the Governor might have said something to it recently. Furthermore, the foreign company the state picked to do the job has had financial issues in other states. i.e. Don't count on that road bringing relief until they actually stick a shovel into the ground. (oh and it won't be cheap to drive)

My advice is that if you want to work in Davidson and don't like traffic, then you should look at living in Davidson, Cornelius, possibly Huntersville or Mooresville. Else, you probably don't want to take that job.
Yea, unfortunately I'm closing on an uptown condo tomorrow, so living in Davidson really isn't an option.

I feel bad because I did enjoy speaking with the recruiter but I can't justify sitting in traffic every day for a job

Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Your only other option, since you are living in center city, is to look at taking the CATS express bus. This would only work if you were within walking distance of the bus lot there.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:11 AM

27 posts, read 44,211 times
Then he's still spending a ton of time on his commute.

I hate my commute, but it helps to decompress or to get into work mode, plus I drive a prius so it's not a huge impact on the wallet.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:20 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Mileage-wise, uptown to Gastonia is the same as uptown to Davidson. Yes, there is more traffic on 77 than 85, but I don't think it's really adding a whole lot of additional time/wear and tear so if the job is better I wouldn't rule it out yet. Of course that's up to you. Did you work in Gastonia during the Christmas season last year and have to deal with the McAdenville traffic at all?

Old 05-13-2015, 10:37 PM

134 posts, read 286,170 times
I live in Davidson and commute to Charlotte for work. It's only about 18 miles to center city. That said, the commute with traffic is still less than an hour (40-45 min). It's totally do-able.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:38 AM

385 posts, read 729,427 times
My wife commutes from Charlotte (Cotswold) to Davidson everyday. She absolutely hates it. Sometimes it takes an hour... one the way home is just as bad.

You'd think that a reverse commute wouldn't be a PITA, but she loathes it.

On top of that, we have kids in daycare over in Sedgefield. It's taken her 1.5 hrs to drive from Davidson to Sedgefield to Cotswold.

Now I drop off and pick up kids... for her sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte