Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE2 View Post
Most mothers keep powdered milk and/or evaporated milk on hand in case things get really bad. Not like we are on a ration system here!!

WHAT? Being a mother AND a grandmother - I could see their reaction if I tried to give them powered or evaporated milk with their breakfast! GAG![/quote]

Yes, I can imagine that reaction. But after four days w/ no power, either kids eat what you have or they don't eat . . . and I have mixed many a glass of powdered milk w/ chocolate to get through horrific times w/ a blizzard and no power. When the milk is gone, it is just gone. Amazing how kids adapt when there are no choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Ok heads up if you are looking for ski gloves or waterproof gloves in Charlotte you are not going to find many lol. ONe thing I never understood in this area retail stores that specialize in clothing do not cater to the season here. But if you want to find a easter dress you are in luck.

Target Midtown and Huntersville sold out.
Dicks has adults and kids gloves (very few kids gloves) but they are wanting 40 bucks for a pair. If you have two left hands I have a set or if you have two right gloves we can work out a compromise.

Omega sports as of tonight is the place to go to buy Sled Discs es can be used when there is no snow as a huge frisbee, way to haul leaves, or a giant cereal bowl.

Movies good luck the Blockbuster I think they are now focus on the gaming industry. There was more games than movies and movies they did have they had them stacked instead of facing forward
Stay Warm!!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-18-2008 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 PM

197 posts, read 668,353 times
After seen our "snow storm" I couldn't resist to call my very good friends in Toronto CN to let them know that my son did not had school because we got 2 inches of snow!
...and of course, we are really happy and gratefull to live here :-)

Old 01-19-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottere View Post
After seen our "snow storm" I couldn't resist to call my very good friends in Toronto CN to let them know that my son did not had school because we got 2 inches of snow!
...and of course, we are really happy and gratefull to live here :-)
Glad you are happy to be here! And please dont take this the wrong way, b/c it does seem a rather bemusing event on the surface, as it were, that we closed schools here for a minor snow event.

Just hope that you don't want to call your friends after we have a minor 1/4-1/2 ice storm - cause your electricity will be off.

Our last ice storm, over 1 Million people in this region were w/o power, from 3 to 7 days, depending on location.

I agree - it does seem like a real "waste" to be overly cautious and close schools - when nothing really occurred w/ this "snow storm." Having lived in the midwest, where school goes on despite 12 inches of snow . . . I totally understand your amazement. Snow here melts and re-freezes so what seems like an innocuous and totally unremarkable event . . . can quickly turn treacherous, especially for those unaccustomed to this phenomena.

Our situation w/ potential re-freezing today may illustrate this very well. When temps start dropping, the snow/rain will freeze . . . and be quite hazardous - if only for a few hours.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:48 AM

379 posts, read 644,502 times
I remember the last bad ice storm, was it 2004?. We lost so many trees(well, half of them). Our neighbors tried to leave, came of their garage and their 4 wheel drive slid right off the driveway and down across the other neighbors lawn. It was stuck there for 2 days if I remember correctly.

The new transplants don't get it. They will learn soon enough. Then they will be the ones telling everyone how bad the ice is down here!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
I remember the last bad ice storm, was it 2004?. We lost so many trees(well, half of them). Our neighbors tried to leave, came of their garage and their 4 wheel drive slid right off the driveway and down across the other neighbors lawn. It was stuck there for 2 days if I remember correctly.

The new transplants don't get it. They will learn soon enough. Then they will be the ones telling everyone how bad the ice is down here!
Oh, my! What a mess for your neighbors! Yeah, that is another thing - 4 wheel drive is no help at all on ice. We have it but the only time we have used it is in the mountains (Boone/Blowing Rock) in both mud and snow. Nothing to do on ice but stay indoors.

Well, even tho I have plenty of experience w/ snow and ice - here and in KS as well - I fell in 2004. I had thrown down cardboard outside the garage, as I knew it would be too slick on our steps to take the dog out, snow melt or not. I had done this before, pulled up the cardboard, thrown down ice melt and was able to negotiate onto the grass w/ my furkid.

This time, I tried to open the garage door, and the ice had accumulated under the door. I got a shovel and started picking away at the ice until i could dislodge enuff to open the door. Even w/ being so very careful, while tugging on the cardboard (it was glued to the concrete - couldn't budge it) - I somehow put a foot on the ice and fell really hard. Hit my elbow and I thought I had broken it - so painful - but no, I was fine - just very bruised.

DH couldn't get cardboard up, either, till he used a shovel to pick at the ice. Finally got that up, poured some snow melt around the area and tried to make his way out, w/ the dog, so she could do her business. Ice was so bad on the grass, even, that my poor doggie was sliding on it!!!

After that, I bought us the type of "cleats" that you attach to any shoe, so that we could better negotiate in ice. Of course, since buying those cleats, we have not had the occasion to use them, LOL.

BTW - the cardboard trick had always worked in KS. I later realized that to make it work w/ ice, I needed to go out and move it around several times while the nasty mess was still coming down . . . and throw ice melt on top of the cardboard and underneath as well. Ice melt on even 1/4" of ice, w/ freezing temps, just doesn't seem to have much effect.

I have been watching predictions closely today and it appears it is not going to get as cold this evening as originally forecast. Thank goodness!!! Surely that means roads will be fine this evening. That only leaves a period of time in the morning . .. then it appears things will warm up. Whew!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:28 AM

197 posts, read 668,353 times
please don't take it so personnal, i just tried to lighted up the day... my apologies if my comment affected you.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:34 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,890,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottere View Post
please don't take it so personnal, i just tried to lighted up the day... my apologies if my comment affected you.
I don't think anyone took offense...takes a lot to fluster Ani.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I don't think anyone took offense...takes a lot to fluster Ani.
Heaven's no! If anyone is owed an apology, I owe you one, Charlottere, b/c I surely did not mean to sound rude! I agree - it is a strange phenomenon to shut down schools and would seem very odd to someone who moved here from a snow-prone area. After living in KS where we would get 12 inches, then six more on top of that, then another 10 . . . and schools kept on chugging (even if delayed) - it would seem quite weird at first, LOL.

I apologize if I made you feel attacked. Didn't mean it - just saying how even a little ice can mess up the power . . . and then you won't even be able to call out . . . (well, get a corded phone for back up!!! have cell well charged!!!!)

Last edited by brokensky; 01-19-2008 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: left out sentence!

Old 01-19-2008, 11:07 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Heaven's no! If anyone is owed an apology, I owe you one, Charlottere, b/c I surely did not mean to sound rude! I agree - it is a strange phenomenon to shut down schools and would seem very odd to someone who moved here from a snow-prone area. After living in KS where we would get 12 inches, then six more on top of that, then another 10 . . . and schools kept on chugging (even if delayed) - it would seem quite weird at first, LOL.

I apologize if I made you feel attacked. Didn't mean it - just saying how even a little ice can mess up the power . . . and then you won't even be able to call out . . . (well, get a corded phone for back up!!! have cell well charged!!!!)
I've noticed that some of the folks who own SUVs think they are invincible, and I've see that attitude in Nothern and Southern areas. Snow is nothing to drive through, but ice is another story altogether! 4-wheel drive does not negate the laws of physics. Your Ford Expedition will slide just as well on that black ice in Georgia as the black ice in Minnesota.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte