U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,459 times

Advertisements

Hello CD,
Looking for some input here in regarding asking some questions to Construction Manager... We are building a new home and this is our first pre-construction meeting with Construction Manager. currently they have completed frame work on first floor and working on to second floor. I've read some home owners when building visit the home frequently to keep an eye on things, and we are following the trend.

Pending: Plumbing, Electric, etc..

what are the questions we should ask to the construction manager? anything needs to check in particular?

Thank you in advance..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 03:14 AM

170 posts, read 198,262 times
The best piece of advice i've read about a new construction is to make sure you have a pre-drywall inspection. Basically, have an inspector go in there and take a look at the wiring, plumbing, structure etc before they put up all the drywall.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:21 AM

925 posts, read 1,858,559 times
We took pictures everyday as our home was being built. I was told by a friend to take pictures of the walls before the dry wall went up in case their were issues later. I can tell you what is behind every wall in my house. LOL I also asked where they put electrical outlets. Our builder allowed us to have a few extras. I didn't realize there wasn't an extra one in the laundry room for my ironing, that was a mistake. I can't really remember anything else. He went over the blueprint with us and talked us through everything. He asked us specific questions so that helped. Good luck with your new home.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 AM

576 posts, read 506,354 times
We are in the process of having our first home built as well. I hired an inspector to do a pre-drywall inspection on the home and he will be back at the house when it is all done to do a final inspection. We had our pre-drywall inspection about a week ago. My inspector assured me everything was fine with the home and he was actually pretty impressed with the quality work that my builder did. Hiring your own inspector will obviously cost you. I am paying $325 for the two visits. Keep in mind that the builder has their own inspector and a County inspector will also go thru the house. But of course, having your own guy there looking out for you may be beneficial. Good luck to you!!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:00 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,557,107 times
Has everyone buying new construction considered a few things:

1) HOA covenants - what can you and can't you do or have?
2) Is the builder still building out multiple phases? If so, you might be be able to move for 10 years without competing with the builder

Old 05-12-2015, 11:46 AM

397 posts, read 519,515 times
take a realtor with you...

Old 05-12-2015, 12:22 PM

367 posts, read 560,853 times
Ditto on the pre dry wall pics. Did the same.

Also- if I could go back when our house was being built, I'd make sure the builder explained how they're going to insulate the interior.

I love our house... we spent over $500k... it's a custom home. But you can hear your phone vibrating upstairs in the bedroom when you're down in the den.

On another note- later in the process you need to have a conversation w/ your builder about drainage. My backyard sod never took (we had zyosia) since the drainage isn't optimal. 18 months later, we're out of pocket another $3000 to hire a landscaper to dig drains and resod.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:26 PM

343 posts, read 575,458 times
Default Cabinet questions you could ask.

Partial board boxes or plywood boxes?
Full overlay, inset or half overlay?
Solid center panel or veneer center panel?

Plywood is the upgrade
Inset doors are the upgrade and then full overlay, cheap cabinets are half overlay
Make sure the center panel is solid wood, even if your looking at recessed paneled doors, which is the biggest trend, make sure they are reversed solid panels.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:26 AM

533 posts, read 767,280 times
if you had any plumbing/electrical things added or changed around, you need to verify these during this meeting (before they get set in). electrical outlets added/moved, walk-in showers replacing bathtubs, double vanity sinks etc. etc.

because the builder is going off basic spec. and sometimes they will miss these things.

this is what the meeting is for.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:04 PM
cpw

85 posts, read 127,584 times
Hire an inspector, bring your realtor, and take pics b/f drywall. The pics have been very helpful to us. Knowing where studs and wires are, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or