U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:33 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,820,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Pretty sure that some of them would want to be in close proximity to a major airport and the largest population within 4 hours of the plant.
It cost less to tap into Charlotte's existing higher density population for skills instead of attracting/relocating new employees in a less populated new SC location.
Makes no sense to me. Population will change with the added jobs. Major airport? Balony. Charleston's airport is growing and with Boeing do you think they are flying out of Charlotte?
If Charlotte was so desirable why didn't Volvo locate there?
Some times I think you guys just think "Bigness" means so much.
"Think quality of life"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 05:36 AM

2,148 posts, read 3,673,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Makes no sense to me. Population will change with the added jobs. Major airport? Balony. Charleston's airport is growing and with Boeing do you think they are flying out of Charlotte?
"Think quality of life"
just my 2c...I'm sure being close to Charleston airport wasn't a factor. Coming from China or Europe management will likely be flying through or to CLT. I doubt decision whether to build in Berkeley County or Charlotte had anything to do with quality of life which is very subjective, if I felt my quality of life would have been better moving to Charleston then I would have. I think the Benjamins that SC gave Volvo was a high up the list factor.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:29 AM

666 posts, read 580,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
"Think quality of life"
Charlotte's airport is more than 10 times the size of Charleston. It's like comparing the port of Wilmington to the port of Charleston & there is no comparison . Although the airport owns 4,000 acres it plans to develop, the infracture is not currently in place nor is the state of NC willing to go all in on a auto plant.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:39 PM

21,996 posts, read 27,299,353 times
Quote:
Pretty sure that some of them would want to be in close proximity to a major airport and the largest population within 4 hours of the plant.
It cost less to tap into Charlotte's existing higher density population for skills instead of attracting/relocating new employees in a less populated new SC location.
Again, There is a tiny number of BMWs suppliers in Gaston & Cleveland counties, & they are fairly new. They are west of Charlotte because of Freightliner & BMW. It's a simple concept. I don't know why you are having difficulty grasping this. Plus, look at a map. Which is further, Greer or Charleston? That's right, Charleston. I don't think that your theory holds water - nary a drop. . .

Old 05-18-2015, 05:32 PM

2,109 posts, read 3,590,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Again, There is a tiny number of BMWs suppliers in Gaston & Cleveland counties, & they are fairly new. They are west of Charlotte because of Freightliner & BMW. It's a simple concept. I don't know why you are having difficulty grasping this. Plus, look at a map. Which is further, Greer or Charleston? That's right, Charleston. I don't think that your theory holds water - nary a drop. . .
I explained in a previous post that Atlanta is almost same distance to Charlotte from BMW.
Charleston is closer to Charlotte by more than 1.5 hours difference with no other major airports and/or population in the opposite direction.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,818,722 times
Quote:
I explained in a previous post that Atlanta is almost same distance to Charlotte from BMW.
What does that mean? What does Atlanta have to do with anything? Atlanta is 2.5 hours (at least) from Spartanburg...Charlotte is a little over an hour.

Quote:
Charleston is closer to Charlotte by more than 1.5 hours difference with no other major airports and/or population in the opposite direction.
So what. Please explain why the Charlotte airport is more important to Volvo's suppliers than Volvo itself.

Also, much of Volvo's parts and components will be shipped in through the port of Charleston.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Again, look at a map. BMW is in Greer. Greer is significantly closer to Charlotte than Charleston is. Most of the BMW suppliers are in Greenville County & Spartanburg County. Neither has anything to do with Atlanta.

Are you seriously trying to convince me that Charleston is closer to Charlotte than Greer? I can read a map. I'm not buying that.

I don't think that you understand how parts are shipped from Asia. I used to work at a Compaq factory. We built all of the business machines for east of the Mississippi. The parts were shipped in a ship to the west coast. Light parts were sometimes flown to PHL. Heavier parts were trucked east. That is not a big job producer. You're grasping at straws.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,269,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Again, look at a map. BMW is in Greer. Greer is significantly closer to Charlotte than Charleston is. Most of the BMW suppliers are in Greenville County & Spartanburg County. Neither has anything to do with Atlanta.

Are you seriously trying to convince me that Charleston is closer to Charlotte than Greer? I can read a map. I'm not buying that.

I don't think that you understand how parts are shipped from Asia. I used to work at a Compaq factory. We built all of the business machines for east of the Mississippi. The parts were shipped in a ship to the west coast. Light parts were sometimes flown to PHL. Heavier parts were trucked east. That is not a big job producer. You're grasping at straws.
exactly, he is grasping at straws. charlotte will receive little if any from this. If we had forward thinking people in Raleigh we would have one of these plants. One of these plants would look great in east gaston county. Also if Charlotte was so important, Volvo could have put the plant in Rock hill.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
exactly, he is grasping at straws. charlotte will receive little if any from this. If we had forward thinking people in Raleigh we would have one of these plants. One of these plants would look great in east gaston county. Also if Charlotte was so important, Volvo could have put the plant in Rock hill.
I'm starting to wonder if that poster is a politician trying to sell us that there's something in it for us. There absolutely is not.

Really, I'd put a big plant off 321 around High Shoals. It could draw from Gaston, Mecklenburg, Iredell, Catawba, Lincoln, Cleveland, &, of course, Cherokee & York counties in SC.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:15 PM

84 posts, read 169,754 times
Even if there was an incentives package, NC would have just pushed a location in Goldsboro or Tarboro or Lizard Lick.

I hear that "Global Trans Park" gots a 14,000 ft runway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte