U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 10:39 AM

74 posts, read 50,625 times

Advertisements

And if the seller was such an above board kind of guy, he would have pulled the permits when he did the work in the first place.

Look guys, i have installed work for city inspectors at their residence that was not permitted. There are good reasons to get permits & there are good reasons to not get them as well. It all depends on the scope of the project, the owners circumstances and, these differ a great deal, no 2 jobs are exactly the same. The bottom line? use professionals that are licensed, bonded & insured because they are going to install correctly to the code whether there are permits or not, simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 10:41 AM

533 posts, read 762,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
On a seperate note, I don't think the bank will approve the loan for the house if proper permits aren't pulled for the work that was done.
Sure they would. A bank does not dig that deep. Least on small stuff like this. They send one of their own estimators to deem the house worth the money lended and that's it. I bought a house build back in the 1930's and it had years worth of improvements made. I do not recall any permits being pulled or even mentioned.

OP you should be fine. If required, you will need a permit for any of the work your trying to get done, that's it. If something is found on the previous work you will need to address it - regardless of whether or not it was previously inspected (permit).

Old 05-15-2015, 10:54 AM

The bank usually requires as a condition of the loan that a licensed home inspection service give a report on the general condition of the house.........we are back EXACTLY where we started, 1 guy who attends seminars inspecting all the various components of a house. That is pretty much what you get with a city residential inspector.
Again i would ask, what exactly is the goal here?

Old 05-15-2015, 11:06 AM

625 posts, read 196,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
Sure they would. A bank does not dig that deep. Least on small stuff like this. They send one of their own estimators to deem the house worth the money lended and that's it. I bought a house build back in the 1930's and it had years worth of improvements made. I do not recall any permits being pulled or even mentioned.

OP you should be fine. If required, you will need a permit for any of the work your trying to get done, that's it. If something is found on the previous work you will need to address it - regardless of whether or not it was previously inspected (permit).
Banks do a title search and pull paperwork that has the original plan of the house and look up things such as permits. It can be an issue if the bank digs deep enough and an inspector sees additions to a house that were not in the original documents.

For us, they pulled the sale information from when my husband purchased the house 10 years before and it was listed as 1 1/2 baths and not 1 and 3/4 baths. That was a red flag and they asked for the permits.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:21 AM

72 posts, read 59,264 times
I already spoke to my bank. They will not include the value of the unpermitted work in the appraisal. Other than that, they are fine. My concern is homeowner's insurance. While it's highly unlikely they will inspect the property, they do have the right to. Also, if I ever do have a claim due to an issue with an unpermitted fixture, it will not be covered. The other reason I would like to have everything permitted is so that when I sell the house I can include the renovated space in the value of the property.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:31 AM

625 posts, read 196,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy907 View Post
I already spoke to my bank. They will not include the value of the unpermitted work in the appraisal. Other than that, they are fine. My concern is homeowner's insurance. While it's highly unlikely they will inspect the property, they do have the right to. Also, if I ever do have a claim due to an issue with an unpermitted fixture, it will not be covered. The other reason I would like to have everything permitted is so that when I sell the house I can include the renovated space in the value of the property.
It stinks that the seller will not work with you on this. You can buy it the way it is and get the permits later. The only issue is if there's a code problem that you'll have to foot the bill for the repairs for. If that's a risk you're willing to take then I don't see the issue. I guess you need to figure out if the value that it will add to the house is worth the expenses you may incur.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:07 PM

I do not see the problem here, the owner has offered to remove the unpermitted work, whats the problem?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:28 PM

4,539 posts, read 4,783,484 times
I had three bathrooms not two as on the plan when I bought house. Chase bank just counted the legal two in appraisal. Big deal.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:43 PM

72 posts, read 59,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacon4 View Post
I do not see the problem here, the owner has offered to remove the unpermitted work, whats the problem?
Yes he has. And that will make the problem go away. But if that were my preferred course of action, I would not have wasted everybody's time posting. The work done adds a lot of value to the property. Value that, because he did not permit, he can not include in the price of the house. So before I tell him to rip everything out, I would like to see if it is worth my time and money to hire a contractor to get the permits on work already done knowing it might mean tearing up and replacing some drywall. If, as you've said, the horse has already left the barn, then that gives me pause that getting permits may not be a viable option.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:43 PM

Yep. I am goin with SandyJet on this one.
I think Scrappy wants his/her cake and eat it too, they are not counting the remodel in appraisal but Scrappy wants the remodel when you sell. Now there is a unique concept, someone who wants something for nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte