U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,829 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Charlotte area this summer. We have a son and twin dtrs. Our son will enter 8th grade next year and our dtrs will enter 5th grade next year. I have done extensive reading on City data site and I have looked at school ranking sites. Trying to decide on the school system we will go into. We currently attend school rate 9/10 in Ohio. Looking at Marvin, Weddington, Cuthbertson, Parkwood Schools. I have seen a ton of discussion regarding the redistricting that went on in the 2014/2015 school year. Clearly it was a very emotional time for the people that live there and go to the UCPS in that area. Here are my questions.. POST REDISTRICTING 2014/2015

Is Parkwood Highschool really that bad? Many people have posted they were pleasantly surprised when they were moved there after redistricting? It last ratings were low but the numbers seemed skewed and I wonder if the numbers will change once there is new testing with the redistricted kids in the school.
Has the school been updated?

Cuthbertson ..is it still really overcrowded now that redistricting has occurred? Bullying? Has it

Weddington.. will this be an environment where keeping up with the Jones will be a big issue

Marvin... Drug problems becasue the kids have extra money and live primarliy amongst wealthy peers? Also keeping up witht he Jones syndrome

Piedmont schools have a good ranking too but are farther out. I dont want Sun Valley

I am leaning towards, Cuthbertson, Parkwood, or Weddington school

I want to know more about the student culture at the above schools...
The school we currently go to is not very diverse so trying to take those numbers into account as well...
We will be looking for a home in the 300 to 350 range and Weddington schools may not be an option as may not be houses in that range.

If redistricting occurs again in UCPS can a Parkwood student potentially be redistricted to Sun Valley? or are the High Schools clustered together for example ( Cuthbertson, Weddington, Marvin , Parkwood a cluster and redistricting would occur to one of those schools?)

I want to get a good bang for my buck on the our house but not sacrifice our school too much?
Ohio is ranked 7th out of 50 states for schools, North Carolina is ranked 35 ... out of 50 states... will content be that much different in these schools or do certain areas struggle more in North Carolina and bring the number down to 35?

Any input is very much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 10:14 AM

631 posts, read 737,794 times
Welcome to NC!

Lot's of questions there....

OH vs NC - Too many factors and too many schools to get a good comparison at the state wide level. You're better off comparing Wedd/MR/PW/Cutty to your current district/schools in OH since you've already narrowed it down. There are LOTS of folks here from OH and the midwest so you'll fit right in. As for NC, our general assembly seems to have it out for the schools - hopefully that will change. Not that any of the local politicians are any better at the county and school board level.

PW vs Cutty vs Wedd vs MR - A key item here might be where your commute will be for work. If it's uptown, PW and parts of CHS might be too far away. Aside from that, all 4 are great schools with their own dynamics. If you ask 20 people, you'll get 20 answers with 20 different rankings, all with valid opinions. Drugs? Yup, all have some. Brains, athletes and artists? Yup, all have a lot more! MR, Wedd and CHS will all have the 'keeping up with the Jones' factor, so don't let that be a factor. Part of the emotions with the last year is that people couldn't brag about being a Jones and then had to be a Smith. Now they play keeping up with the Smiths. True story...

Future redistricting? - Current speculation is that a replacement for SVHS will be up for a bond vote in a few years. Depending on the size, that could cause more shifts. The HS are not in a cluster together. They are all stand alone and movement could happen from any one to another (Monroe, Piedmont, etc). Of course anything could happen, but if you study a map and look at the county borders compared to the school borders, you'll get a general sense of what could occur and what areas seem safer. Use Firethorne as an extreme example - it's in a corner with Meck county and SC as boundaries and only one direction to shift. Welsey Oaks at the other extreme was in the middle of several schools with a lot more variables.

Price Range of $300-$350 - You can find that range in all the clusters.

Hope that helps to start.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:20 PM

113 posts, read 123,378 times
Agree with all statements above but I am curious if you feel that the need for bragging rights and keeping up with the Jones is a pressure realized by the students or more by a subset of parents.

My children attend one of the schools mentioned above and i have never experienced a situation in which they were worried about how they stacked up against others.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:48 PM

631 posts, read 737,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd1 View Post
Agree with all statements above but I am curious if you feel that the need for bragging rights and keeping up with the Jones is a pressure realized by the students or more by a subset of parents.

My children attend one of the schools mentioned above and i have never experienced a situation in which they were worried about how they stacked up against others.
Great point and I agree with your experience! It's so much more with the parents than the students. I'll see the kids congratulate each other when one does well in school, sports, etc. They rarely seem phased about what sports teams they are on or classes they are in. Sure they get bummed out if they don't make a team they try out for, but the kids will move on. The parents on the other hand... oh boy... Yes, I'd say they lose bragging rights about their kid being on the best cheer squad, in AIG, and so on. Ask the kids and they want to know what's for dinner and can they go play with a friend.

No surprise that the most level headed kids come from the level headed parents that don't pile on the expectation or over schedule the kid with 25 hours of activities a week.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:08 AM

124 posts, read 139,412 times
I agree with the statements above. Parkwood has more of a rural feel to it because a lot of the students come from old bloodlines of rural families, it has more of a family feel. However, that being stated, I have heard over and over from redistricted parents that Parkwood went above and beyond being welcoming to the incoming students and it has more of a family feel type atmosphere, the students were included in that family immediately. They have also stated that their kids love it there and they are now glad that they were redistricted. Parkwood is a good high school with a lot of good hardworking teachers, the funny thing about the whole redistricting thing is that a lot of teachers at MR, CHS and Weddington were pulled from Parkwood as well. You can get more bang for your buck, I think, if you purchase a house with some land in the Prospect area (which goes to Parkwood) and that would probably assure you of never being moved to SV or the other 3. Rankings really mean nothing, if your child is motivated, if parents are involved and assist in homework when need be your child can excel at Parkwood or Parkwood Middle (which is right across the street from the high school). Parkwood has a lot of outstanding graduates who have gone to Ivy league schools, the top universities in the state, surrounding states and the only graduate who aced the SAT test with a perfect score (just a couple years ago). They have done a lot of work at Parkwood prior to and since redistricting with more renovations to come. Parkwood students have a lot of pride in their school, hence you will hear a lot about Parkwood Pride! There is even a Facebook page that was created because of redistricting called Parkwood Pride. I encourage you to join it and read the posts of current and former students who have attended and what they have accomplished during and since their time there. Good luck with your move and whatever decision you make!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:36 AM

527 posts, read 637,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio mover View Post
Is Parkwood Highschool really that bad? Many people have posted they were pleasantly surprised when they were moved there after redistricting? It last ratings were low but the numbers seemed skewed and I wonder if the numbers will change once there is new testing with the redistricted kids in the school.
Has the school been updated?
When Cuthbertson was built a bunch of kids were moved out of Parkwood and into Cuthbertson. Prior to that Parkwood had a great reputation and was an award winning school. Now that those neighborhoods have been moved back to Parkwood I expect the scores to improve.

Quote:
Cuthbertson ..is it still really overcrowded now that redistricting has occurred? Bullying? Has it

Weddington.. will this be an environment where keeping up with the Jones will be a big issue

Marvin... Drug problems becasue the kids have extra money and live primarliy amongst wealthy peers? Also keeping up witht he Jones syndrome
All three of those schools have equal bullying, drugs, and rich kids.

Quote:
We will be looking for a home in the 300 to 350 range and Weddington schools may not be an option as may not be houses in that range.
There are a few more houses in that range in the Cuthbertson district primarily because of Millbridge but you can find something in the Weddington district as well.

Quote:
If redistricting occurs again in UCPS can a Parkwood student potentially be redistricted to Sun Valley? or are the High Schools clustered together for example ( Cuthbertson, Weddington, Marvin , Parkwood a cluster and redistricting would occur to one of those schools?)
I expect another round of "onesie twosie tweaks" this summer and then another broader redistricting for the '16-'17 school year. But, my guess is that the effected area will probably be Wesley Chapel, they are stuck in no man's land... Parkwood is probably fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
They have also stated that their kids love it there and they are now glad that they were redistricted.
I've been complimentary of Parkwood so this isn't a shot at the school but I think you are off base with that comment. Yes there are some kids that have adjusted well but there are still families in Demere, Briarcrest, etc. along the Billy Howey and Newtown area that are trying to sell their homes.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I've been complimentary of Parkwood so this isn't a shot at the school but I think you are off base with that comment. Yes there are some kids that have adjusted well but there are still families in Demere, Briarcrest, etc. along the Billy Howey and Newtown area that are trying to sell their homes.

With regards to the Demere homes listed recently, I don't believe any have anything to do with redistricting.
The six most recent listings have been almost all due to job relocations by families with no school age children (only 1 of the homes has/had a child under 18 living in it) and that family, like most of the others has or will be moving out of state. Have heard that people are looking in this area specifically to get into the Parkwood cluster.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:51 PM

27 posts, read 25,455 times
When we visited schools we did get the impression Marvin Ridge and Weddington were going to be about keeping up with the Jones'. Cuthbertson is mostly middle class and there are many transplants from the NE. My impression of all these schools is that Cuthbertson is the most diverse. Parkwood is rural, but they seem to have the most sense of community of any of the schools. Piedmont is also rural, but my son who plays high school sports thought the Piedmont kids were the nicest. It really comes down to your family and what lifestyle you and your kids are comfortable with. I wouldn't worry about ratings or test scores.

Good point about where you will be working. If you will be working uptown or the University area you won't want to go beyond the Cuthbertson district. Parkwood and Piedmont may be too far a drive. I've heard of 1-1.5 hour commutes to uptown.

I also would try to tune out the disgruntled redistricting parents. Most of the county has moved on from that. Redistricting is normal in county school systems and you will be seeing it soon in nearby Mecklenburg Co. (Charlotte). Buy the house in the area you love and you will probably love the school as well.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:16 PM

4 posts, read 7,591 times
We were one of the families that built our home in the Cuthbertson district upon moving to the Charlotte area and were redistricted to Parkwood after three years. Without getting into all of the redistricting drama and how poorly it was handled, let's just say we accepted the move to Parkwood to try it out for a year. We found that we love the school, admin, and teachers. Yes, there are issues, just as any school. In my opinion, you have to be involved with your children's education and school no matter which school you attend. But we have found the benefits far outweigh any issues. After the first year, my children asked if they would ever be redistricted back to Cuthbertson and if so, could we move so that they could stay at Parkwood. That speaks volumes. Speaking of which, I have heard the "redistricting" word popping up here and there again...any news on whether this is actually planned? Really would be a shame to make kids go through this again after just a few years. And despite the families in our neighborhood that sold their homes in order to stay in Cuthbertson, we will be putting up a for sale sign and moving closer to Parkwood if redistricting comes about again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte