Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times

Advertisements

Best to look at map or program GPS to avoid interstate and see what the alternative routes are.
Traffic lately has been stop and go in both directions during the day.
Hwy 21 stops before the lake unfortunately.

They need to widen it to equal what Salisbury has with 5 lanes each direction and auxiliary lane.
First they need to build a bridge that crosses the lake.

This area will be horrible when I485 opens the north section.
I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 06:18 AM

152 posts, read 193,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
Is there anything more frustrating than going on I-77N and approaching Exit 19 or so at 4:30PM-6:00PM? I get off at Exit 23 and it can take me sometimes 30 minutes. I work 7-4 and even at like 4:20PM it can be gridlocked.

I thought leaving work at 4 would make things easier.. Is there a certain time when that area is best?

No. I swear I just read you in the Huntersville thread, calling the commute a breeze? Expect more gridlock.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:00 AM

306 posts, read 517,439 times
I am from NJ and used to commuting to NYC during rush hour traffic. Compared to that, this ride is absolutely a breeze, a joke actually. Commuting to NYC consists of taking highways, bridges, and tunnels that are all gridlocked. The traffic here is also not so much a detriment that I would consider moving to Charlotte strictly because of it.

But any traffic is frustrating, and exit 19 becomes a real pain during rush hour. From 4-4:30 it isn't too bad (I guess it depends on the day and any accidents), but any time after that it can get pretty awful.

I used to commute from exit 3 to exit 23 at my previous job, and there were some days I would leave later and find that around 6PM I would hit no traffic and have a straight drive though. Wasn't sure if there was a best time to aim for that people recommend on here.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:29 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
No... From right after I485 to Sam Furr it can take up to 40 minutes to get to Sam Furr. I dont care where someone is from, that is horrible traffic by any American standard. Luckily I live off Gilead by even then... It fills up with people thinking back roads are faster so it winds me taking like 3 traffic signals off the exit ramp to get on Gilead.

And I've tried every possible route and backroad. Beatties Ford... Coming from North Lake on the road that takes you to Earth Fare. Statesville. Old Statesville. Stumptown to Statesville. It all sucks. Everyday for a few hours

If people wood just merge earlier, it would help a lot. Its so frustrating when people ride to the very end when a lane ends causing a complete stop to all lanes of traffic

Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 AM

306 posts, read 517,439 times
Didn't they fix the light on the exit ramp for Gilead (Exit 23)? It used to take me 3-5 traffic lights to make a right at that exit, and there would be people who would go into the left lane and then make a right just so they wouldn't have to wait. However, I noticed it has been way quicker with less traffic the last few months.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:54 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
Didn't they fix the light on the exit ramp for Gilead (Exit 23)? It used to take me 3-5 traffic lights to make a right at that exit, and there would be people who would go into the left lane and then make a right just so they wouldn't have to wait. However, I noticed it has been way quicker with less traffic the last few months.
It has been quicker but still a few cycles. And people are still forming their own left turn lane to the right to get on to Gileads left turn lane to Statesville

Old 05-28-2015, 12:15 PM

78 posts, read 94,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
It's already a cluster where 77 goes from 4 to 3 lanes because morons drive allllll the way to the very end of the road and then merge instead of merging earlier so traffic still flows.
Actually using all available lanes and taking turns merging is a much more effective way to manage traffic. Take a look at this link: Zipper Merge

The key here is to make sure each driver takes a turn. That way all lanes are used until the merge point. Otherwise you have all the traffic converging on the lanes that continue while leaving an open lane that could still be used.

Unfortunately people don't realize this and it ends up creating more gridlock unnecessarily.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:09 PM

372 posts, read 723,110 times
Quite simply, unless the ramp traffic problem is addressed and fixed, the clogs will continue......

Old 06-05-2015, 12:36 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
From what I've been reading we'd better get ready for an entire slew of toll lanes here in the Charlotte area. NCDOT isn't building anymore free lanes except on I-85

- New I-77 lanes from Uptown to Mooresville will be tolled
- US 74/Monroe Bypass will be tolled
- New lanes down the median of US 74/Independence will be tolled
- 485 in South Charlotte will have a toll lane
- The $1B widening of 77 from Uptown to the SC border will add two extra lanes on each side that will both be tolled
- Garden Parkway in Gaston County (if it's ever built) will be tolled

Old 06-05-2015, 03:10 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
From what I've been reading we'd better get ready for an entire slew of toll lanes here in the Charlotte area. NCDOT isn't building anymore free lanes except on I-85

- New I-77 lanes from Uptown to Mooresville will be tolled
- US 74/Monroe Bypass will be tolled
- New lanes down the median of US 74/Independence will be tolled
- 485 in South Charlotte will have a toll lane
- The $1B widening of 77 from Uptown to the SC border will add two extra lanes on each side that will both be tolled
- Garden Parkway in Gaston County (if it's ever built) will be tolled
Is it just me or does anything think that the Tyvola exit off 77 be converted into a diverging diamond interchange. Seems big enough to do and it's always congested. I wonder if they considered it when they redo I-77
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte