U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:10 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,912,450 times
Reputation: 7953

Advertisements

Just read this and surprised he's charged with something for defending his business.

Employee charged with using deadly force to stop thief, police... | www.wsoctv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:42 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Just read this and surprised he's charged with something for defending his business.

Employee charged with using deadly force to stop thief, police... | www.wsoctv.com
Well, I believe it would have been viewed differently if the perp had not be in a car, which would mean he did not pose an immediate threat. I think the law allows for deadly force when a person is convinced his life is at stake, but when it is a matter of a material object being stolen, such as a saw (or a TV, etc) and the perp is not brandishing a weapon or is leaving the scene (so no immediate threat) . . . then it means that person was not positioned to do bodily harm. So you can't use deadly force.

Now, I am just recalling this from discussions I have had in the past with law enforcement regarding use of deadly force, and I could be wrong . . . maybe someone who teaches a concealed carry course or who is in law enforcement will have a better explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:49 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,912,450 times
Reputation: 7953
I think differently but it's probably illegal. I think if they are brazen enough to rob you, then they need to accept whatever circumstances/retaliation that is thrown at them. I think it's smart that he didn't get into it in close quarters and 3 against 1 at that. But again, I guess that's illegal to wait till you are in a safer situation and then arm yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:57 AM
 
Location: NC
6,032 posts, read 7,558,499 times
Reputation: 6351
If he was a firefighter he would not be charged like the guy in Concord/Kannapolis recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I think differently but it's probably illegal. I think if they are brazen enough to rob you, then they need to accept whatever circumstances/retaliation that is thrown at them. I think it's smart that he didn't get into it in close quarters and 3 against 1 at that. But again, I guess that's illegal to wait till you are in a safer situation and then arm yourself.
Not sure what you mean about being in a "safer situation and then arm yourself."

What I was taught is - you can never take someone's life (or even attempt to) over material objects.

I was told - if a group of thieves breaks into your home and you confront them, and they are all carrying out objects, you cannot fire at them, b/c they could not have posed a real threat to your life, as they were carrying objects, not guns, in their hands.

So regardless of them being on your property, carrying out your TV, your computer, your xbox, your sofa, etc . . . you cannot shoot them.

Same for a business. Unless one of those guys attacked someone, or is brandishing a weapon, and you pull the gun to protect yourself or another person inside the business, you can't shoot them. They have to demonstrate they mean physical harm to you or someone else on the premises.

The confrontation occurred after the thieves had left the premises and were on the way out. So no immediate threat at all.

The law is very clear; we don't take a human life over material objects. We only use deadly force when there is the immediate threat of bodily harm - and a person can rightfully say they feared for their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 11:13 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,912,450 times
Reputation: 7953
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree
I think differently but it's probably illegal. I think if they are brazen enough to rob you, then they need to accept whatever circumstances/retaliation that is thrown at them. I think it's smart that he didn't get into it in close quarters and 3 against 1 at that. But again, I guess that's illegal to wait till you are in a safer situation and then arm yourself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
Not sure what you mean about being in a "safer situation and then arm yourself."

The law is very clear; we don't take a human life over material objects. We only use deadly force when there is the immediate threat of bodily harm - and a person can rightfully say they feared for their lives.
I meant that I think it was smart of Beasley not to engage the men while they were in his shop robbing him as the odds were stacked against him. (at least my take on it) I also said it's probably illegal in the way I think but if you are brazen enough to rob someone, your life should be at risk and the other person should be able to defend their material possessions AND lives with force without fear of prosecution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 11:32 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
[/i]



I meant that I think it was smart of Beasley not to engage the men while they were in his shop robbing him as the odds were stacked against him. (at least my take on it) I also said it's probably illegal in the way I think but if you are brazen enough to rob someone, your life should be at risk and the other person should be able to defend their material possessions AND lives with force without fear of prosecution.
Oh, gotcha! Yes, I see what you mean about confronting them.

Well, sadly, it seems the law protects the evil doers sometimes. It does seem wrong that a person can essentially walk right into your store and rob you and if you try to stop them by shooting them (and they haven't pulled a gun or assaulted you) . . . there is not really anything you can do.

Now, I guess he could have gone out and shot the tires out of the car so they couldn't leave (or couldn't get very far in the car). But then you would be stuck with several guys on your property who would be pretty angry and desperate at that point - so you would have essentially just escalated the situation.

But yeah, when it comes to weighing out the value of possessions against the value of human life, even miscreant human life, the law says we are to back down unless we are in fear for our lives.

Actually, this could end up with the young man being responsible for picking up the medical costs for the perp who got shot. Hard to fathom!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 11:48 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,912,450 times
Reputation: 7953
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
Oh, gotcha! Yes, I see what you mean about confronting them.

Well, sadly, it seems the law protects the evil doers sometimes. It does seem wrong that a person can essentially walk right into your store and rob you and if you try to stop them by shooting them (and they haven't pulled a gun or assaulted you) . . . there is not really anything you can do.

Now, I guess he could have gone out and shot the tires out of the car so they couldn't leave (or couldn't get very far in the car). But then you would be stuck with several guys on your property who would be pretty angry and desperate at that point - so you would have essentially just escalated the situation.

But yeah, when it comes to weighing out the value of possessions against the value of human life, even miscreant human life, the law says we are to back down unless we are in fear for our lives.

Actually, this could end up with the young man being responsible for picking up the medical costs for the perp who got shot. Hard to fathom!!!!
Exactly. And to find out that these guys are linked to several other robberies in the area too. Very hard to fathom. Quite irksome really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 12:09 PM
 
471 posts, read 880,306 times
Reputation: 591
Question Thou shalt kill when?

Regardless of the law, you would kill someone for what kinds of wrong doing? List:
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
(add as necessary)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,912,450 times
Reputation: 7953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Regardless of the law, you would kill someone for what kinds of wrong doing? List:
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
(add as necessary)
Simple, if they invade my home, they are at risk. Outside of my home? Self defense.

I am not bloodthirsty but it does anger me that people feel so entitled to do what they want with other people's lives and possessions. Rape, murder, pedophilia and on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top