U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:45 AM

513 posts, read 402,325 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, how far will $180K go in the city and surrounding suburbs? I'm starting to get fed up with Boston's insane cost of living, and Charlotte sounds like a great combination of healthy economy and low cost of living. That figure can be upped a bit if needed, but that's the equity I have in my current condo (which, by the way, you'd have to pay people to live in outside of places like Boston, SF and NY) so ideally I'd like to stay as close to it as possible - not having to deal with a mortgage sounds really tempting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 10:56 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,777,498 times
I your question is "Can I buy a house for $180,000 or less somewhere in the Charlotte area"? The answer is yes. Of course, eventually the question will be, "Can I buy a house somewhere in the Charlotte area for $180,000 or less that meets all my criteria"? The answer to that is maybe.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:26 AM

Coming from Boston, my housing expectations aren't exactly that high - a two bedroom condo in a reasonably safe, somewhat walkable part of town would be more than enough. Would that be within the realm of possibility in Uptown area, or somewhere reasonably close?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:38 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,777,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Coming from Boston, my housing expectations aren't exactly that high - a two bedroom condo in a reasonably safe, somewhat walkable part of town would be more than enough. Would that be within the realm of possibility in Uptown area, or somewhere reasonably close?
Not in Uptown, itself, no. Reasonably close...yes, but it will be older or small. For example:

Real Estate - 6 Homes For Sale | Zillow

Old 05-22-2015, 05:52 AM

777 posts, read 2,272,132 times
A 2BR condo for 180k should be pretty easy, just not sure its possible "uptown". Areas around Elizabeth, Noda, Plaza Midwood, and maybe Dilworth would be my choice.

Wilmore is an "in transition" neighborhood right along Southend and you could probably get a decent 2br bungalow home under 200k and be 1.5m from downtown and a 10min walk to the light rail (and all the goodies in south end).

Old 05-22-2015, 07:38 AM

Would upping the budget to 250k or so be of any help? Also, how are rents in Uptown? Would it be easy to rent the place out and not be in the red if I decide to do the whole house/yard/white picket fence suburbia thing a few years from now?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:49 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,528,222 times
Scored a ranch in the Southpark area of Charlotte for around that price.... Needed alittle work, but very doable.

180k can get you plenty in Charlotte.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 AM

777 posts, read 2,272,132 times
Quote:
Would upping the budget to 250k or so be of any help? Also, how are rents in Uptown? Would it be easy to rent the place out and not be in the red if I decide to do the whole house/yard/white picket fence suburbia thing a few years from now?
Go to mytownhome.com and check it out. Right now there are 8 active listings (and 8 under contract) for condo's under $250 in uptown. Definitely a very low inventory.

While renting out out would have been very easy a few years ago, there are so many apartments under construction, you would have to be very competitive on your price, but if it is paid for, you can do that.

With such a low inventory, if you wanted to move out to suburbia, I would sell the condo and count my profit and stuff that money into your new house.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:08 AM

625 posts, read 199,507 times
Quote:
Walkable and near Uptown for 180K? I don't think you'll find something. Add to that a safe area.

You'll have to go out to the 'burbs and even then areas like Fort Mill and in general Union Cty have gotten expensive.

Folks here may be able to give more info on the Northern and Western parts near Charlotte. I can tell you that a town home in Fort Mill is about 200K+. There are some foreclosures in Fort Mill that meet your budget. But if you're single you would probably not want to live on the SC side of the border!

Old 05-22-2015, 10:05 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
One option is somewhere like Davidson. A quick search and I see several townhomes in the sub $180K range. It's one of the only (some would argue maybe the only) suburbs that is truly walkable. Other than that if you really want walkable you will likely need to stick with one of the closer-in Charlotte neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte