Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 10,418 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of retirement communities in the south that are ethnically diverse? I am five years from retirement and want to relocate to a warmer area. I have looked at the Del Webb sites (i.e., Sun City communities), researched their statistics, and the residents are overwhelmingly white. it's disheartening because in every other respect (amenities, activities, homes), the communities meet my needs. However, I don't want to spend my retirement years in a less than welcoming environment. I'm not saying they discriminate, but it's difficult to believe that any community that is 99% white (or more) became that way by happenstance.

I would like to find a community that has similar amenities with a more progressive and accepting atmosphere. Yeah, I know it's the south but I have hope. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 11:14 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalix View Post
Does anyone know of retirement communities in the south that are ethnically diverse? I am five years from retirement and want to relocate to a warmer area. I have looked at the Del Webb sites (i.e., Sun City communities), researched their statistics, and the residents are overwhelmingly white. it's disheartening because in every other respect (amenities, activities, homes), the communities meet my needs. However, I don't want to spend my retirement years in a less than welcoming environment. I'm not saying they discriminate, but it's difficult to believe that any community that is 99% white (or more) became that way by happenstance.

I would like to find a community that has similar amenities with a more progressive and accepting atmosphere. Yeah, I know it's the south but I have hope. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
With prejudices like that, why don't you just stay where you are.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:43 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
You might be better to ask this question in the general retirement forum. However, I have seen evidence of non-whites being interested in the Del Webb community in Summerville, SC and in Sun City Hilton Head. I know of an African-American Realtor in the Hilton Head area. I have sent you the reference, and perhaps she can help you visit Sun City Hilton Head.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-21-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 11:47 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Why not look elsewhere if you are going to have such stereotypes. The south doesn't need such closed minded individuals.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:57 AM

343 posts, read 600,990 times
Quote:

The South is so awful and racist. That's why Northerners are flocking here in droves. There are about 500 reasons that could be given for why a retirement community has an overwhelmingly white population. Your reasons begin around #501.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:16 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Does anyone know of retirement communities in the south that are ethnically diverse? I am five years from retirement and want to relocate to a warmer area. I have looked at the Del Webb sites (i.e., Sun City communities), researched their statistics, and the residents are overwhelmingly white.
My impressions differ from yours. I think the Sun Cities and the Hovnanian Four Seasons communities are both making a good effort at showing non-white persons in their marketing literature.

I wonder if you have actually visited the Carolina Lakes community in the Charlotte area. You might find it a lot more welcoming than you assume.

Furthermore, if you check out communities in the Washington DC area, I believe you would find numerous affluent non-white residents. For example, the Del Webb and Four Seasons communities near Fredericksburg, Virginia. Or try the Leisure Wold community in Silver Spring, which I know has non-white residents. Or try some of the 55+ communities around Columbia Maryland.

One of the few retirement communites I have seen that is 99% white is Fairfield Glade in Crossville, Tennesse. But I believe that has more to do with the mountain location than any overt prejudice.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-21-2015 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 12:29 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
If you are looking for warmer weather but not finding the type you want to hang out with, check out Arizona? It's probably very diverse out there and a plethora of retirement communities to choose from. Texas too.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:56 PM

They say a hit dog hollers. I've spent many years down south. This opinion wasn't formed in a vacuum. There's a lot of yelping going on...

Old 05-26-2015, 01:57 PM

I spent a lot of summers down south. My opinion wasn't formed in a vacuum. They say a hit dog hollers. There's a lot of yelping going on...

Old 05-26-2015, 03:16 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
I spent a lot of summers down south. My opinion wasn't formed in a vacuum. They say a hit dog hollers. There's a lot of yelping going on...
And suddenly it becomes clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte