Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 AM

28 posts, read 268,770 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,
I'm a newbie here and was wondering if anybody has made the move to Charlotte from Arizona?...what do you like/dislike about the differences/similarities between the two cities...and would you stay in Charlotte or move back to AZ?

Thanx for any feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 08:44 AM

6,954 posts, read 11,983,187 times
Smile Me Too!

Hey ! I am wondering the very same thing and hope alot of people post to your question. My daughter and I are going to Charlotte/ Raleigh in April to look around and decide what to do, where to live, here or there. Am currently in Chandler; looking for escape from the heat here, the crime, the desert in general. We have been here almost 7 years and think maybe its time to move out of here.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:57 PM

4,138 posts, read 11,441,409 times
Hmmm.....that is a hard one. It is really SO different! My parents live near Phoenix and I live near Charlotte.

I am not really a high desert person, so AZ has never appealed to me, but NC is very far from AZ and if you have family there or other things you like about it, it isn't a place you can go back and visit easily.

I am not thinking strait today. I think I am just really tired from our trip. I can't seem to find the words I need to compare the two. I do think NC is more family oriented and a great place to raise kids. Cost of living is lower here in terms of housing at least.

We get a lot of folks from the North East moving here, where AZ gets a lot of the CA folks moving in. So, culturally it is a West Coast and East Coast difference. You would think it wouldn't be that great, but I have found it hard at times. I am from CA.

I think the most important things to look at are:

1. Family proximity- how important is that for you?
2. Jobs- can you find something here?

And come and stay for a few weeks in NC and see what you think.

Dawn

Old 01-20-2008, 04:11 PM

55 posts, read 250,273 times
I have visited Phoenix several times when I used to live in Las Vegas. I have lived in Charlotte for 10 years. Phoenix is a great city, but very very hot as you know. I know, it's a dry heat.

Depending on whether you are an outdoor type person or not will have a lot to do with which you will like better. Phoenix is MUCH better in terms of biking opportunities, hiking, climbing and even skiing.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,194,727 times
I lived in the Phoenix area for over 20 years, moved here last year (with a stop or two inbetween).

1. Phx a bit newer, easier to navigate, more profressional sports, bigger.
2. Charlotte, better weather, more green, more social.

I could go on.. is there anything particular you want to know?

Old 01-21-2008, 04:41 AM

89 posts, read 310,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvsseasand View Post
Hi Everybody,
I'm a newbie here and was wondering if anybody has made the move to Charlotte from Arizona?...what do you like/dislike about the differences/similarities between the two cities...and would you stay in Charlotte or move back to AZ?

Thanx for any feedback
I just moved here from Colorado.. its 13 degrees while I type this.. stay in Phoenix. I really wish my family were in Phoenix

Old 03-13-2011, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 16,435 times
I have lived both places. Phoenix is a retirement community, and is rising due to that single attribute. Charlotte I believe is more vibrant and faster pace of business development. Phoenix is big because its the only show for miles and miles. Plus the city limits would stretch from near Greenboro to near Spartanburg. Pheonix has less urban feel except for around the airport area. And maybe that is because of the sightlines due to lack of trees. Like many cities that don't have or care for trees and follage, Phoenix may look bigger due to sightlines. The city lights up a bit more due to the lack of trees. Charlotte has more diverse appeal (yes I said it). Charlotte is gonna supprise a lot a folk with it's growth once the economy gets back on track. Phoenix is like a suburb of southern cali, and is like a diversion from Vegas. Phoenix area mountain experience is great, but the mountain experience is just as great (having trees and water in thoses hills is a plus). On the other hand, you cant beat the vistas in the Pheonix area anywhere on the east coast.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:17 PM

21 posts, read 41,392 times
Charlotte - Green everywhere, lots of stuff to do, 2 hours from the Mtns. so you can get your bike and hike on, lol. Also 2 hours from the beach. Affordable housing. All 4 seasons.
Phoenix - Dry desert, WHEN it rains it pours, lol. Mostly outdoor stuff to do, that is without the green. More than 2 hours from the beach. Affordable housing

Old 03-13-2011, 04:25 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,450,858 times
Beach is a bit further than two hours.......
More like 4......

Old 03-13-2011, 05:40 PM

196 posts, read 426,317 times
I grew up in AZ, went to school at UofA, then lived in Chandler/Gilbert for several years. In short- I wouldn't move back to AZ. While I think both cities have residents that put an emphasis on material items and appearances, I think Phx does more so. Regarding weather, Phx is hot as you know, but I personally would rather deal with the dry heat than the humidty. I have visited Charlotte on several occasions when monsoon like storms came through town...I miss the smell of the desert just before and after the rains.

I am not sure if you are considering any other cities. In terms of shopping and people, there isn't a huge difference. Sure-some people here are friendlier out of tradition; sometimes I wish they would just show an honest side, but all in all- I think Charlotte is quite similair to Phoenix and wouldn't be much of a culture shock...

Having grown up on the west coast, I am excited to now venture out to all the new places of the east coast, but I sure miss Sonoran Mexican food...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte