Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 04:21 PM

83 posts, read 206,742 times

Advertisements

Hey guys
I will be going to visit on the weekend of June 12 w/ wife and baby. The main purpose of our visit is because we are considering a move from FL and Charlotte is one of our 2 options so far (Denver is the other).
Since it is a lot cheaper for some reason to fly to Raleigh we will be flying to Raleigh Friday night and driving to Charlotte Sat. morning and staying there until Sunday night.
We unfortunately don't have a lot of time so would you have any recommendations on what to see? Again we are mostly concerned in getting to see the city itself as a possible future home, so i guess center city, and a few suburbs would be great.
Wife works from home, so as far as future move we'd move on her salary at first and I would look for a job once there since it has been next to impossible to find something while still in FL. Because of this I cannot give you a specific area where I would be working so we could look at housing/suburbs around that area, so it will have to be a general visit and try to see the most popular places to live and work...
Don't think we will have time to do much of the touristy places but I guess a few wouldn't hurt..
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 05:01 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,350,998 times
Where is your hotel?

It would be nice to start at one end of the are, I'll assume north around Huntersville and Cornelius. Drive through downtown Huntersville and the Birkdale area. Lots of nice neighborhoods in Hunterville and Cornelius...maybe drive through a few

Head Uptown (as Charlotte's downtown is called) and spend some time walking around. Stop in the Bechtler Art Museum if you're interested in modern art. Walk through Romare Bearden Park. Drive south past the Metropolitan development near Uptown, then down Queens Road West to see the big houses, maybe walk through Freedom Park. Keep driving south past Southpark Mall and the neighborhoods around that, then down to Ballantyne to see that area.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:11 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,659,385 times
Definitely spend some time looking at the beautiful homes in Dilworth & Myers Park areas. Grab some fried chicken at Price's chicken while in the South Blvd area.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:37 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,976,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ8lbb View Post
Hey guys
I will be going to visit on the weekend of June 12 w/ wife and baby. The main purpose of our visit is because we are considering a move from FL and Charlotte is one of our 2 options so far (Denver is the other).
Since it is a lot cheaper for some reason to fly to Raleigh we will be flying to Raleigh Friday night and driving to Charlotte Sat. morning and staying there until Sunday night.
We unfortunately don't have a lot of time so would you have any recommendations on what to see? Again we are mostly concerned in getting to see the city itself as a possible future home, so i guess center city, and a few suburbs would be great.
Wife works from home, so as far as future move we'd move on her salary at first and I would look for a job once there since it has been next to impossible to find something while still in FL. Because of this I cannot give you a specific area where I would be working so we could look at housing/suburbs around that area, so it will have to be a general visit and try to see the most popular places to live and work...
Don't think we will have time to do much of the touristy places but I guess a few wouldn't hurt..
Thanks!
Not to get off subject but for future reference check out allegiantair.com for cheap flights from FL to Charlotte Carolinadawg has made some good suggestions. What price range are you looking for in housing and what type of housing? That can help to point you in the right direction.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:47 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,537,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ8lbb View Post
Hey guys
Thanks!
What type of work will you be looking for? Rent something centrally located until you find out where you'll be working.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:08 AM

306 posts, read 515,631 times
Check out some of the sub-divisions in Huntersville. It is a sub-burb and only like 20 minutes from Charlotte while being cheaper but just as nice as the Ballantyne area. Definitely check out Birkdale Village in Huntersville as well, a great place to take your family on weekends, for dinner, etc.

Check out Uptown Charlotte/Business district in Charlotte. Very beautiful during the day and where a lot of the jobs are at.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Where is your hotel?

It would be nice to start at one end of the are, I'll assume north around Huntersville and Cornelius. Drive through downtown Huntersville and the Birkdale area. Lots of nice neighborhoods in Hunterville and Cornelius...maybe drive through a few

Head Uptown (as Charlotte's downtown is called) and spend some time walking around. Stop in the Bechtler Art Museum if you're interested in modern art. Walk through Romare Bearden Park. Drive south past the Metropolitan development near Uptown, then down Queens Road West to see the big houses, maybe walk through Freedom Park. Keep driving south past Southpark Mall and the neighborhoods around that, then down to Ballantyne to see that area.
Thanks for the tips! our hotel is the Courtyard in Arrowood

Old 06-01-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Not to get off subject but for future reference check out allegiantair.com for cheap flights from FL to Charlotte Carolinadawg has made some good suggestions. What price range are you looking for in housing and what type of housing? That can help to point you in the right direction.
I understand housing is a bit cheaper in Charlotte compared to South Florida, we would proabbly rent the first year or so, this way we don't rush into anything and then once we get to know the area realize we should have gone to different neighborhood etc..
As far as price range if we could stay within 1100-1200 would be great since that's what we are paying here for mortgage in a 2 bedroom condo. Of course now with a baby the 2 bedroom is becoming a bit tight so if we could upgrade to a town-home and could stay close to that range would be great, but not sure if this is feasible.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What type of work will you be looking for? Rent something centrally located until you find out where you'll be working.
Thanks yes that is the plan to rent something at first. As far as work I do IT/Procurement work, my wife works remotely so for her location isn't much of an issue.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
Check out some of the sub-divisions in Huntersville. It is a sub-burb and only like 20 minutes from Charlotte while being cheaper but just as nice as the Ballantyne area. Definitely check out Birkdale Village in Huntersville as well, a great place to take your family on weekends, for dinner, etc.

Check out Uptown Charlotte/Business district in Charlotte. Very beautiful during the day and where a lot of the jobs are at.
Thanks I will most likely print this thread and take it with me so I can take all the suggestions with me and hit as many as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte