U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:11 PM

672 posts, read 1,646,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Been to Kennedy - again, it is noisy, it is chaotic - IT IS MIDDLE SCHOOL - my hat is off to any teacher who teaches this age group, no matter where they teach. This is just a rough age period. Kids hormones are all raging causing mood swings and flashes of emotion - they act out, they act tough, they boast and brag - it ain't a pretty picture

Even though Kennedy is located in Steele Creek - it is more of an inner city school because of where the majority of its students come from, so I am not surprised you got the impression of it being "like" an inner city school.
Sure, all middle schools have issues, but (Kennedy) this was so far beyond anything I had ever seen before it was shocking. To imply that this kind of behavior is acceptable seems odd. I have been to many other middle schools in our old towns, never before seeing such a display of violence. Kids do and get away with what they are allowed to. In our old community one would never see such acts, as the children there as do many other children know the appropriate way to act. These children from Kennedy, if allowed to continue to act this way are getting a raw deal, b/c after all they will grow up believing this is appropriate behavior and then when they go out in society they are our problem to deal with or to become a victim of. And, if CMS is no longer mandated to bus these kids from Kennedy in, then where are they being bussed from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 07:54 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Sure, all middle schools have issues, but (Kennedy) this was so far beyond anything I had ever seen before it was shocking. To imply that this kind of behavior is acceptable seems odd. I have been to many other middle schools in our old towns, never before seeing such a display of violence. Kids do and get away with what they are allowed to. In our old community one would never see such acts, as the children there as do many other children know the appropriate way to act. These children from Kennedy, if allowed to continue to act this way are getting a raw deal, b/c after all they will grow up believing this is appropriate behavior and then when they go out in society they are our problem to deal with or to become a victim of. And, if CMS is no longer mandated to bus these kids from Kennedy in, then where are they being bussed from?
Kids aren't being bused, they are just riding the bus to school. Kennedy is the assigned neighborhood school for some rough areas along Arrowwood and S. Tryon up to Tyvola.

Schools can only do so much - proper behavior has to be modeled and expected at home first. Without support from the home front teachers are not likely to be able to break patterns of inappropriate behavior. However, I am not convinced what you saw was true "violence". Sounds to me like you witnessed some normal rambunctious behavior in a down time situation at a middle school. Since you don't have a child old enough for middle school yet perhaps you just aren't used to how this age group interacts? Not saying I think it's a pretty sight, it's not, but sometimes parents of younger children look at teenagers like they are a scary bunch, when in reality they aren't

Old 01-22-2008, 08:34 PM

672 posts, read 1,646,939 times
No, I do not have a middle school aged child, however, my family and I are close to several other families that do have middle school aged children. Worth noting is that my hispanic neighbors who moved here from California would not send their daughter to Wilson middle our assigned school as it was too violent. They were told (falsely) that Kennedy was a good school and sent their daughter there half way through the school year last year. Needless to say, she was picked on heavily b/c she was hispanic and not black like the majority of students there. She would come home in tears b/c of the things she saw, heard, and feared daily at Kennedy.

I have both witnessed these events of just ridiculous behavior and have heard about it from my 13 year old neighbor who experienced it first hand and feels lucky that she wasn't beaten up too badly, etc. Luckily, she is a good kid and has since changed schools and doesn't still have to endure the daily ridicule and witness the weapons being brought to school or the violent fights between both the boys and girls.

You are absolutely right, things also need to be modeled at home in a positive way and if they are not, children ultimately live what they have seen. So in short all I can say is that I would never send my child to Kennedy Middle, Wilson, or a lot of other middle or high schools in the area as drugs, violence, weapons, gangs are all a big problem in some of the CMS schools.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:49 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
No, I do not have a middle school aged child, however, my family and I are close to several other families that do have middle school aged children. Worth noting is that my hispanic neighbors who moved here from California would not send their daughter to Wilson middle our assigned school as it was too violent. They were told (falsely) that Kennedy was a good school and sent their daughter there half way through the school year last year. Needless to say, she was picked on heavily b/c she was hispanic and not black like the majority of students there. She would come home in tears b/c of the things she saw, heard, and feared daily at Kennedy.

I have both witnessed these events of just ridiculous behavior and have heard about it from my 13 year old neighbor who experienced it first hand and feels lucky that she wasn't beaten up too badly, etc. Luckily, she is a good kid and has since changed schools and doesn't still have to endure the daily ridicule and witness the weapons being brought to school or the violent fights between both the boys and girls.

You are absolutely right, things also need to be modeled at home in a positive way and if they are not, children ultimately live what they have seen. So in short all I can say is that I would never send my child to Kennedy Middle, Wilson, or a lot of other middle or high schools in the area as drugs, violence, weapons, gangs are all a big problem in some of the CMS schools.
No question about it, middle school is the WORST age group, period. Kids at that age can be so cruel - and when they aren't being taught better at home it's a nightmare for the kids going to school with them who have had higher standards set for them in their homes. Hope your neighbors found a better alternative for their daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or