Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 AM

100 posts, read 354,662 times

Advertisements

I tried to get both my kids into a cotilion class but I was told that they needed to be in 6th grade and to wait until then. If you all know different please let me know. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 14,091 times
Hi All, I am actually the lady who is starting this business up - it will be called Ettiquette Ease, Manners Made Fun. First off, let me say Thank you for your feedback to date, it has been great. I am really excited about this because the curriculum I am creating is updated and current, a way to help both Girls AND Boys learn to think about others and be considerate. This isn't just about what fork to use or how to dance, it is (for the younger kids 4/5) about sharing and confidence, helping to create skills in children of all ages that will serve them throughout their lives and having fun while doing it! One of the programs I am offering will be called Eco Etiquette, a way to help teach kids about small changes they can make to help the environment. Thank you again for all your feedback! Angela

Old 01-23-2008, 10:35 AM

14 posts, read 78,044 times
I totally agree with lisak64. There is enough out for everyone. Boys also need etiquette classes. I also know being in a cottillion can be expensive and competetive. So why not bring something in with less expense and just for fun and learning.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Have you developed a business plan? Who is your target market? I think it's an interesting idea but I caution you to continue doing research. Children learn good and bad habits from the adults in their lives. People who believe manners are important are going to start teaching them from the get go. Others may think the basics are good enough and may not want to pay for lessons. Your niche may be people somewhere in between.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 14,091 times
I am still in development, I am currently working on the 4/5 year old curriculum. One of the things that I will do is send home "refrigerator reminders" so that we can get the parents involved as well. I am laying out a curriculum that will be built on and that kids can use as a one off or they can continue to take classes every three years. If a child graduates from all of our classes then I want to offer a small college scholarship program. The classes will be in 5 one hour sessions for the smaller kids and while not free are not terribly expensive either, so the demographic is more middle class in nature. If we become successful then I will work on donating some time and resource to bringing the training to those who may not be able to afford it. I really want this to be something that teaches children who are a bit older how to give back. So for the high school years, there will be a push to do community service as well. Of course, as I mentioned earlier I am still in development and would love some feedback, if you think these ideas are just crazy, this would be a great time to find that out! Thanks again everyone!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Brilliant idea! This is one of those times where I say to myself: "Why didn't I think of that?" Actually I did, when my daughter was about five years old. I just didn't have the guts or time to go for it. Love the idea! Why not add some finance lessons as well? I belive this will be one of the emerging new businesses; teaching children how to handle finances. Similar to all of those tutoring businesses that teach them how to learn.
Good luck to you. Where do I sign my children up?

Old 01-23-2008, 02:27 PM

245 posts, read 881,055 times
i'll sing my lil one up at time

Old 01-23-2008, 05:43 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
Great idea. In NYC we had the likes of Barbizon and The Ritz (hotel) who taught these classes. I tried getting my tween in Barbizon just for the interviewing portion. She rebelled and saved me $2500. However, the class taught girls make-up application, public speaking, interviewing skills, how to walk/model, proper eating and dress etiquette. Many youths need these classes for school and job interviews. I would love to have my teen in a class here. I can't wait to see you succeed in this. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 10,315 times
This would be great to promote to Girl Scout/ Boy Scouts for Badges.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 20,402 times
I completely agree Kent&Dawn. We are also looking at some schools around the Charlotte area.

Do you have connections with the Boy and Girl Scouts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte