U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:44 PM

672 posts, read 1,646,939 times

Advertisements

[quote=TheEmissary;2665138]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post

nkjaws - I can't argue with you on any of the points you've made. I know we've discussed several issues on some other threads and we have many points of view in common. I know of your particular situation and I can't imagine not being distressed about it! When I was looking for a home in the Charlotte region, I was told not to really consider moving to any part of Mecklenburg County because of the high taxes. (What passes for high taxes around here would still be considered ridiculously cheap by NJ standards). The only part that was portrayed to me as being worthy of consideration was "south Charlotte" with the very "north" part as a distant second. Since I come from NJ, where all of the large cities are basically "dumps", I really never considered moving into any area of Charlotte proper. I came from a city with what would be considered a high crime rate by anyone's standard and locking your car and house up was a "smart" thing to do even in the early sixties. I tend to look at any city with a "jaundiced" eye. I'm kind of glad I did!

Here's a little advice. I had a problem one night with a bunch of teenagers who congregated by my front lawn late at night. I called the cops and told them if they didn't get here quickly, I'd remedy the situation. A patrol car showed up in under 2 minutes and the problem was solved. The police tend to show up a lot more quickly if you send the nuanced threat of doing their work yourself!
Hmmm...we'll have to try that out for next time. Let's see if the CMPD can beat their best record of 20 minutes arrival time. Usually it takes 40 minutes but one time I think it was closer to 20 minutes. Being a native of NJ too, I must say that I do see some differences. I mean crime seems to leak its way into nicer neighborhoods here. In NJ the closest town to us that resembled a "city" was Morristown and the Hollow which wasn't a place anyone would want to be. However, the poverty and crime was pretty much contained and I grew up in a very isolated safe bubble in Morris County.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,674,395 times
[quote=nkjaws;2665455]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Hmmm...we'll have to try that out for next time. Let's see if the CMPD can beat their best record of 20 minutes arrival time. Usually it takes 40 minutes but one time I think it was closer to 20 minutes. Being a native of NJ too, I must say that I do see some differences. I mean crime seems to leak its way into nicer neighborhoods here. In NJ the closest town to us that resembled a "city" was Morristown and the Hollow which wasn't a place anyone would want to be. However, the poverty and crime was pretty much contained and I grew up in a very isolated safe bubble in Morris County.
Well, being from the Paterson/Totowa area and older (55) I'm probably more inured to life's little exigencies than you are. I still am confused about the whole concept of neighborhoods in Charlotte. Development names seem to figure more prominantly sometimes, than the town or city you are in. At least in NJ, you could count on areas to be bad or good - Newark vs Harding Township or Bedminster, for example. Here the lines are blurred. I knew that Myers Park and Ballantyne were good places, but even Paterson has some homes in the Eastside for $1,000,000 +, so I always thought that even the more upscale places in Charlotte may be too close for comfort when it comes to crime. It seems the NJ model of "safe suburbia" does not apply to the Charlotte area. We were used to the "ring concept" of the farther you got from a city with it being the "hub", each concentric ring that got further away from the hub city had less crime and better schools. In Charlotte, there appear to be islands of prosperity and poverty that nearly touch each other.
Maybe it's because Charlotte is so big and new - it is still trying to "meld" into a very large American city! I'm not sure what the future holds for Charlotte. I just hope that whatever that is - it evolves into something that the great majority of the people in the area can live with!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 01-29-2008 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 PM

672 posts, read 1,646,939 times
[quote=TheEmissary;2666380]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post

Well, being from the Paterson/Totowa area and older (55) I'm probably more inured to life's little exigencies than you are. I still am confused about the whole concept of neighborhoods in Charlotte. Development names seem to figure more prominantly sometimes, than the town or city you are in. At least in NJ, you could count on areas to be bad or good - Newark vs Harding Township or Bedminster, for example. Here the lines are blurred. I knew that Myers Park and Ballantyne were good places, but even Paterson has some homes in the Eastside for $1,000,000 +, so I always thought that even the more upscale places in Charlotte may be too close for comfort when it comes to crime. It seems the NJ model of "safe suburbia" does not apply to the Charlotte area. We were used to the "ring concept" of the farther you got from a city with it being the "hub", each concentric ring that got further away from the hub city had less crime and better schools. In Charlotte, there appear to be islands of prosperity and poverty that nearly touch each other.
Maybe it's because Charlotte is so big and new - it is still trying to "meld" into a very large American city! I'm not sure what the future holds for Charlotte. I just hope that whatever that is - it evolves into something that the great majority of the people in the area can live with!
All good points. Also worth noting, we lived in 3 other cities all which modeled NJ's "safe suburbia" so coming here was a big shock to us. Maybe Charlotte has grown too fast though at some point one has to wonder, will anyone ever get a grip on the crime here? Or will people begin to move away before the crime problem is dealt with. Seems that some want to sweep it under the rug and say crime is not a problem while the newcomers are left very confused by this b/c we know it's a problem, we see it first hand. I too have noticed the islands of prosperity and poverty bordering one another and that is a bit unsettling to me.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,674,395 times
[quote=nkjaws;2666604]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post

All good points. Also worth noting, we lived in 3 other cities all which modeled NJ's "safe suburbia" so coming here was a big shock to us. Maybe Charlotte has grown too fast though at some point one has to wonder, will anyone ever get a grip on the crime here? Or will people begin to move away before the crime problem is dealt with. Seems that some want to sweep it under the rug and say crime is not a problem while the newcomers are left very confused by this b/c we know it's a problem, we see it first hand. I too have noticed the islands of prosperity and poverty bordering one another and that is a bit unsettling to me.
Just finished watching WBTV with a story about two teen-age punks robbing a CiCi's and hitting a patron with brass knuckles. They had a mountain of crime stats and paperwork associated with their never-ending crime spree. I think our astute friend anifani mentioned that there were not enough DA's and prosecutors for Charlotte. I think a tax increase that would enable the hiring of staff for Charlotte's judicial system would be money well spent. They tried interviewing one of the parents who looked too seedy to be on one of those Jerry Springer shows. One of the kid's grandfather said he ought to be locked up. I guess one nice thing about living in the Charlotte area is that you can get your hands on a gun and "blow them away" if necessary, without much repercussions. Can you imagine that in NJ? They would be calling for your arrest for doing that. "Oh the poor kid had a bad life and went to a bad school and had lousy parents" - Yada-Yada. Every excuse possible, except to put the blame on the criminals themselves! Glad I moved!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:33 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Default NKJaws and Emissary:

If I could be so presumptuous as to jump in here (I have no real knowledge about NJ - some relatives there and that's all I know) - but you mentioned something about the growth of CLT and the strange layout, etc.

I think that is worth mentioning since we are talking about S. CLT on this thread. Charlotte is a pre-Revolutionary War city (hence the crazy street situation).

You have to imagine what CLT was like b/f the expansion into the the 'burbs. Pineville was quite distinctly separate from Charlotte, and now - it all runs together. Highway 51 was a 2-lane country road. Carmel Road, as it neared 51, was actually pretty "rural." Union County was farmland and a few crossroads. Ballantyne did not exist. Imagine no Quail Hollow Country Club. South Charlotte pretty much existed inside Hwy. 51, other than Raintree . . . and then Piper Glen . . . both Country Clubs wh/ were established w/ the intent of offering that "pastoral" atmosphere outside the city.

Matthews was distinctly Matthews . . . and was one of the "furtherest out" bedroom communities, w/ Shannamara being one of the desirable upscale neighborhoods.

Lake Wiley and Tega Cay were distinctly South Carolina properties. It was not common to refer to NC and SC as "the Carolinas" til sometime in the late 80s or early 90s (not sure exactly when - and think that all got started w/ meterologists and was picked up by the marketing sector as Charlotte grew south).

As far as closer to uptown . . . gentrification started in the late 80s w/ Dilworth being the focus . . .

All these areas w/ new subdivisions that we see now - they just didn't exist. Crime was inner-city and relegated to blocks that were well-known for rabble-rousing. When UNC-C was built - there was basically a lot of open land around it.

I moved back here a few years ago and was totally baffled. I had spent time N of the city (family there) and flying into the airport, but was simply astounded at what had occurred South, Southeast and Southwest of the city. Since I had no info on those areas and how things were developing, I said - so what - I want to be off Carmel. Knew the area, wanted an all brick Georgian, wanted to be close to SouthPark. Knew the property values would stay high, knew the school district was stable (in case I wanted to re-sale).

To me- all these new outlying areas were "unknowns" - even Providence Country Club. I just wasn't sure about how things were going to develop and I felt the traffic count on the roads was just too high for my comfort level.

I am very happy where I am. Seems the newcomers all want new homes. Yes, I have had to replace my HVAC . . . but my house is built above standards on half an acre w/ woods and a creek . . . and I am in a very safe area.

My point is - Charlotte used to have pretty distinct areas where it "stopped and started" LOL. That is all rather indistinct (to me, anyway) these days. Towns have become bedroom communities and burbs. The growth has been way too fast, IMHO. Builders were indiscriminate w/ grabbing up property when the infrastructure was not in place to support the services that were going to be needed, including schools.

People have flocked here for "the good life" and now are complaining. No wonder. The good life is being eroded by too many people, too many cars, and too much demand on infrastructure. We need a moratorium on expansion - so we can all catch our breath, reconsider the growth, and get more infrastructure (including Law Enforcement) in place.

Just my opinion, of course.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:15 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,445,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
People have flocked here for "the good life" and now are complaining. No wonder. The good life is being eroded by too many people, too many cars, and too much demand on infrastructure. We need a moratorium on expansion - so we can all catch our breath, reconsider the growth, and get more infrastructure (including Law Enforcement) in place.

Just my opinion, of course.
Excellent summation.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,511,961 times
Moderator note: This thread has been derail from specific crime to general crime and new jersey crime
If you felt that where you came from is so much safer I 40 goes east to west
I 77 goes south to North

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or