Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 AM

672 posts, read 1,831,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay. No one is more vigilant than I am, I truly suspect (unless they are certifiably, clinically paranoid )

Media keeps us aware. Sometimes, this awareness makes us feel the situation is imminent, pervasive, continual and aggressive no matter where we live.

Maybe it is a good thing for the public to to get a wake up call - and be reminded that crime can happen anywhere, including upscale neighborhoods and in gated communities. We can become complacent and adapt an attitude that "crime can happen anywhere - but not in my neighborhood!!!!"

The city has grown and with that have also come criminals - and gang activity as well. This is not a phenomenon relegated solely to Mecklenburg County.

I have stated this before and will say it again, at the cost of sounding like a clanging gong . . . it used to be that criminals had the perception that here in the South, we would readily shoot someone who trespassed onto our property, and if not onto our property, certainly into our homes. That created a real hesitancy about breaking into occupied homes.

It appears to me the majority of burglaries are still taking place in homes that are unoccupied at the time of the break in (or in homes where the burglar perceives the homeowner is not home).

Perhaps if a burglars realized that we citizens are armed and will definitely shoot them . . . these crimes would stop. However, I do have real concerns about our neighborhoods becoming the Wild West, w/ homeowners shooting at anything that makes a noise in the night. Still, there is no doubt that the Bad Guys do sport guns.

As far as gang activity . . . I hope this is not being minimized by either LE or the media. I would hate to think that we could be random targets of senseless gang activity, as I don't know how to protect myself against that if they are willing to do such things as kidnap homeowners who are standing outside their houses.

I don't have an answer except to be cautious rather than complacent and be willing to protect our houses if someone w/ bad intentions intrudes our space.

Ummm yes, I am certifiably, clinically paranoid too!! Sure crime could happen anywhere, however, there are certain areas in Charlotte that you know it is more likely to happen, less likely, and a very slim chance of happening. Ofcourse there are always those few random acts here and there. Mostly contributed to the fact that law enforcement does not have the infrastructure to handle the current crime surge. At some point something is going to have to give. Either we have to pay higher taxes to have more police officers, build more jails to keep the revolving door off the jails and keep the criminals off the street, or I think Charlotte will begin to see a decrease in population growth, as people begin to realize that crime is a big problem and also I think people will begin to move out of here. Seriously though, what is the deterrent for these criminals? They rob someone at gunpoint persay and then a few days later they are back on the streets released from jail b/c of overcrowding. What would make them change their behavior when the chances are they will not get caught everytime as another poster on this thread said it takes his neighboring police department 35 mins to show up. That is not an isolated case either but more the norm. Steele Creek has their own PD and it still takes them anywhere from 20-40 minutes to show up when a crime has been commited.

So as anifani said maybe these criminals need to see that neighborhoods are joined together to fight crime. Maybe a few of these criminals need to get shot in the butt while they are running for their lives after a would be robbery. I think the answers are all somewhere in the middle. I think for one we need more citizens on patrol, a lot more. I think we need more police officers patrolling, b/c they seem not to have time to have a presence around here. Lastly, I think we need more citizens being alert, having their license to carry (a gun.) I think if we combined all of these things then maybe we have a chance of lowering crime. One or the other though probably wouldn't do much good. We all need to be more proactive instead of reactive. If we know neighborhood X, Y, and Z are crime ridden, then police need to patrol neighborhood X, Y, and Z and we need to stay away from those neighborhoods so that we are not a victim. And so on...

Old 01-21-2008, 08:54 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
Crime & gangs are in ALL sides of Charlotte!

Wake up people!

The police are strectched very thin and do quite a good job if you ask me.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Crime & gangs are in ALL sides of Charlotte!

Wake up people!

The police are strectched very thin and do quite a good job if you ask me.
No one is arguing that the police department is not stretched thin. We have all said we need more police. Your two statements contradict one another, if crime and gangs are in all sides of Charlotte then how are the police doing a good job?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
No one is arguing that the police department is not stretched thin. We have all said we need more police. Your two statements contradict one another, if crime and gangs are in all sides of Charlotte then how are the police doing a good job?
They do not contradict one another at all.

The Police are doing all they can do. Crime and gangs are all over Charlotte. Same for just about every city in the US. The Gang task force is to small in Charlotte but it takes money & funding and no one want to pay for it

I feel VERY VERY VERY safe and I live Uptown. Of course we have more police coverage Uptown than an other side of town. We have police on foot patrol, bikes, and riding around in cars. Besides the main police station and jail, there are 2 other police sub-stations (so total of 3 police stations) just inside the I-277 Loop.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 AM

7 posts, read 69,318 times
I lived in South Charlotte for seven years and can honestly say that the "crime problem" is no worse than any other neighborhood. Charlotte's a rapidly growing city that is having to adjust to the big city problems with the media constantly chronicling each and every act of violence as if a crisis were at hand. Even the best of police departments will have trouble keeping up. Many of the more gruesome crimes that I remember hearing about when I lived there almost always involved some sort of internal dispute: domestic violence, drug deal gone bad, gang violence, ect. These stories happened all over town and once again, are not unique to Charlotte. They happen everywhere.

Ballantyne will suffer break-ins because it has a large concentration of wealth. If you're looking for a quick grab, naturally you're going to target a community with stuff to grab. Kidnappings/muggings/ect can happen anywhere to anyone. Random violence is scary. We all live with a little fear in us that the next time we step outside, we may be targeted. I've had this feeling no matter where I've lived and if anything, it just causes you to be more aware of your surroundings. You shouldn't just cower in fear or look to move farther and farther out to "escape" the problems. And you shouldn't go and blame the police every time something gets targeted.

Crime is a part of life in any part of the country and the more people you attract to an area, the more crime you will encounter. The police are trying their best to keep up with the demand and I get the feeling things will eventually even out. If it never does, then we can start talking about the horrible police and their inability to control the escalating crime rates in Charlotte...

For now, give 'em a chance and get on with living your lives...

Old 01-21-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
They do not contradict one another at all.

The Police are doing all they can do. Crime and gangs are all over Charlotte. Same for just about every city in the US. The Gang task force is to small in Charlotte but it takes money & funding and no one want to pay for it

I feel VERY VERY VERY safe and I live Uptown. Of course we have more police coverage Uptown than an other side of town. We have police on foot patrol, bikes, and riding around in cars. Besides the main police station and jail, there are 2 other police sub-stations (so total of 3 police stations) just inside the I-277 Loop.
If the police are doing "all they can do" then it simply isn't good enough if crime and gang activity are all over Charlotte. I don't feel that crime and gang activity are all over Charlotte. Here is the thing, you live in uptown, which is overprotected, that is totally different. We live out in the suburbs, which by the way, has no police patrol as previously stated, so does it seem right that the burbs are filled with criminal activity b/c the police don't really bother with our parts of town? Also, "Same for just about every city in the US." I have lived in 3 other major cities and Charlotte is the worst on crime by far. The difference is here in Charlotte there is a lot of ghetto in the suburbs, where as all the other cities I have lived the crime was predominately centered in or surrounding the city. It didn't leak out into the burbs like Charlotte. That is the biggest difference. People assume if they move to the burbs they are picking a nice, safe place to raise a family. I know a lot of people that would pay higher taxes in a heartbeat if it meant we would actually get some police patrol. Even if our taxes went up, who's to say that $ wouldn't just get pumped right back into the metro police department???

Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
If the police are doing "all they can do" then it simply isn't good enough if crime and gang activity are all over Charlotte. I don't feel that crime and gang activity are all over Charlotte. Here is the thing, you live in uptown, which is overprotected, that is totally different. We live out in the suburbs, which by the way, has no police patrol as previously stated, so does it seem right that the burbs are filled with criminal activity b/c the police don't really bother with our parts of town? Also, "Same for just about every city in the US." I have lived in 3 other major cities and Charlotte is the worst on crime by far. The difference is here in Charlotte there is a lot of ghetto in the suburbs, where as all the other cities I have lived the crime was predominately centered in or surrounding the city. It didn't leak out into the burbs like Charlotte. That is the biggest difference. People assume if they move to the burbs they are picking a nice, safe place to raise a family. I know a lot of people that would pay higher taxes in a heartbeat if it meant we would actually get some police patrol. Even if our taxes went up, who's to say that $ wouldn't just get pumped right back into the metro police department???
People should never ASSUME anything (like the suburbs are safer). And everything in life is a choice. If you choose to live in the burbs with little police protection that is a choice. If you choose to live Uptown where it is quite safe, that too is a choice.

Sounds like you want more police protection (as I do too). And you and I willing to pay for it with higher taxes. Most people want more police but don't want to pay for it with higher property taxes. Nothing is free!

I have lived Uptown for many many many years and have never felt unsafe.

I think Charlotte is a great city.

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 01-21-2008 at 10:02 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 10:03 AM

51 posts, read 163,426 times
This crime situation in Charlotte is horrible. I speak from experience. Maybe the police are stretched thin. If so, what does Mecklenburg county do with those extra taxes they charge us? But is the answer to ramp up police staff? I don't think so - I don't want to live in a heavily policed society. The criminal justice system is a problem. The fact that there is a perceived need - that's too bad. I've lived in and visited metro areas much bigger than Charlotte and never been apprehensive to go anywhere really. But here in Charlotte is the first time I have felt like that. Even in nice areas like the Arboretum are seeing graffiti per the article. I happened to go to the Walmart there after midnight a few weeks ago - and I can tell you that place is weird after dark. People sitting in cars, weird cars coming into and out of the parking lot for no reason. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I have said it before and I'll do it again here, there are places that some consider "safe" in the Charlotte metro that I would not go to after dark. It's not worth it - you can't outrun a bullet. I find that very sad.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 AM

89 posts, read 311,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newinclt View Post
This crime situation in Charlotte is horrible. I speak from experience. Maybe the police are stretched thin. If so, what does Mecklenburg county do with those extra taxes they charge us? But is the answer to ramp up police staff? I don't think so - I don't want to live in a heavily policed society. The criminal justice system is a problem. The fact that there is a perceived need - that's too bad. I've lived in and visited metro areas much bigger than Charlotte and never been apprehensive to go anywhere really. But here in Charlotte is the first time I have felt like that. Even in nice areas like the Arboretum are seeing graffiti per the article. I happened to go to the Walmart there after midnight a few weeks ago - and I can tell you that place is weird after dark. People sitting in cars, weird cars coming into and out of the parking lot for no reason. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I have said it before and I'll do it again here, there are places that some consider "safe" in the Charlotte metro that I would not go to after dark. It's not worth it - you can't outrun a bullet. I find that very sad.

Black Sabbeth does a little tune which describes your state of mind..

Old 01-21-2008, 10:22 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,294 times
Default nkjaws and newincl

you took the words out of mouth..somedays I am so busy I don't have time to further my point but what you said is what my husband and I feel to a "t".

Enough is not being done and there are a lot of people that I have meet that have plans to move to antother city in a few years or whenever they can to go live somewhere safer. We are giving it 4-5 years then will make our decision. I love Charlotte and the community feel but that community feel is starting to go out the window when people don't think crime is a real problem. These actions and gangs may happen in every city but not in the suburbs concentrated like here..this is not normal moreover it is not normal how these criminals are handled back on the styreet the same night! The only other place like that is probably Mexico!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte