U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 9,828 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately we're in a time where we listen and pay attention to the media more than talking to our neighbors and setting up community watches.

The media will "hype" stories and exaggerate the news.... remember this is what they get paid for RATINGS!

Go to Charlotte Crime Mapping and you will see true stats from police records etc. http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/map.aspx (broken link)

This website will give you everything you need to know about where you live, break-inís, rapes and even child predators addresses.

FYI Police are doing their jobs.... My husband is a Charlotte Meck police officer and is currently patrolling (off duty) a community that's experiencing a great deal of break-inís (North Charlotte). If he didn't care then he would not do this for the community. He would take another off duty position that would require him to do less......

Please also see this address for additional stats:[url=http://www.crimeincharlotte.com/2006_11_01_archive.html]Crime in Charlotte, NC[/url]

Old 01-28-2008, 07:14 AM

4 posts, read 9,828 times
Default Charlotte Crime

Unfortunately we're in a time where we listen and pay attention to the media more than talking to our neighbors and setting up community watches.

The media will "hype" stories and exaggerate the news.... remember this is what they get paid for RATINGS!

Go to Charlotte Crime Mapping and you will see true stats from police records etc. http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/map.aspx (broken link)

This website will give you everything you need to know about where you live, break-inís, rapes and even child predators addresses.

FYI Police are doing their jobs.... My husband is a Charlotte Meck police officer and is currently patrolling (off duty) a community that's experiencing a great deal of break-inís (North Charlotte). If he didn't care then he would not do this for the community. He would take another off duty position that would require him to do less......

Please also see this address for additional stats:[URL="http://www.crimeincharlotte.com/2006_11_01_archive.html"]Crime in Charlotte, NC[/URL]

Old 01-28-2008, 07:18 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
higher it wounld't be a 1/4 of what we paid back in PA!

I say raise them as much as they want to build more jais and a better structure for crime b/c their current system is not working! It really is a shame for everyone!
And MJ, please know - this is in no way directed personally towards you! But you can see how this situation has created a real sense of alienation for those of us who are natives here. We were living in a lowcost, safe area . . . and b/c of the quality of life we had created here for ourselves . . . transplants have flocked here . . . and the infrastructure is strained.

Now those of us who had planned on staying here into retirement and were counting on the same reasonable growth and tax increases that we have enjoyed here for a century . . . well . . .we are going to pay a heavy price. I am glad others like Charlotte . . .but I am not happy about the prospect of my taxes sky-rocketing to accommodate the growth. Modest and measured increases - sure! But I don't think that is possible w/ the burgeoning growth.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbum365days View Post

Please also see this address for additional stats:Crime in Charlotte, NC
Thank you for the info! And thank your husband - we are fortunate to have dedicated officers who are willing to go the extra mile to protect our neighborhoods. And yes, the media does hype crime - and they don't tell the whole story.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 AM

379 posts, read 503,086 times
My husband worked as an electrician while going to school (early 90's). He has a story that really hits home about the media in this area.

He was working in one of the tv news rooms (upgrading the wiring and lighting). One of the meterologists (rhymes with Derrick) got an update on the weather. It said there was a mild to moderate chance of thunderstorms later in the week. My husband watched this man go live and tell the Charlotte area we were going to experiance a "significant tropical storm". DH still refuses to watch the news on that channel...lol. They all do it though!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,662,578 times
Default Yeah

weather is always crazy! Personally I don't think anyone can exagerate a person almost getting kidnapped outside of their nice home or random shootings on a major highway more then once in a few months. Also, I can see the crime first hand in parking lots late at night. You have to be nuts to go any of the HT in Weddington past 9:30 which again is just crazy to me and my DH! One of my friends was robbed in the Weddington parking lot.

I just have strong views on the subject. The natives might get your wish though I know a lot of people in my neighborhood are moving back to where they came from due to the crime issues! These people aren't use to always checking behind their shoulders or keeping their blinds down for fear of people seeing they have a flat screen..it really is crazy! And maybe that was always normal down here but it isn't normal in other areas of the US. We live in a nice development but the things that are stolen off people's properties is really just absurd.

Don't worry Alfa...I don't take anything personally! I like sharing my thoughts!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:54 AM

26 posts, read 78,683 times
Default crime in waxhaw,union county?

With all the talk about crime in the area, I was looking for any input on crime levels in the Waxhaw/Marvin area (by the South Carolina border). Thinking of relocating to there.

Last edited by NCquest; 01-28-2008 at 11:21 AM..

Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
weather is always crazy! Personally I don't think anyone can exagerate a person almost getting kidnapped outside of their nice home or random shootings on a major highway more then once in a few months. Also, I can see the crime first hand in parking lots late at night. You have to be nuts to go any of the HT in Weddington past 9:30 which again is just crazy to me and my DH! One of my friends was robbed in the Weddington parking lot.

I just have strong views on the subject. The natives might get your wish though I know a lot of people in my neighborhood are moving back to where they came from due to the crime issues! These people aren't use to always checking behind their shoulders or keeping their blinds down for fear of people seeing they have a flat screen..it really is crazy! And maybe that was always normal down here but it isn't normal in other areas of the US. We live in a nice development but the things that are stolen off people's properties is really just absurd.

Don't worry Alfa...I don't take anything personally! I like sharing my thoughts!
No, it wasn't always like this down here. Now it has always been that several areas are bad. But no, not typical at all to get things stolen off property, break-ins, etc.

However, we all just have to remember - nice people are not the only people who have moved in here. We see criminals who have come in, and some of them are non-citizens, some of them are w/ gangs. Criminals come to whatever area looks vulnerable. We left doors open and kids played in the neighborhood all day and into the evenings . . . never worried about locking a car door . . . etc. Those days are gone.

You know that stereotype about Southerners and guns? That if you are in a rural area and are out walking, better make sure you are not trespassing? Well that is no stereotype. We kept shotguns and wanted to know why people were on our property. It has become politically incorrect to own firearms. Well, if a criminal knows you will shoot, maybe they won't come around. I don't know if there have been studies done on that . . . the social and behavioral implications of gun ownership . . .

Old 01-28-2008, 02:03 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,662,578 times
Default sad

It is sad because we were expecting to be even safer then where we came from. I was warned a little but that was after we bought the house! Now on our neighborhood e-mail there is constant chatter about kid's toys beind stolen or someone on their property, etc.

Waxhaw/marvin IMO has the same issues...it is the same shopping centers that I go to.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
It is sad because we were expecting to be even safer then where we came from. I was warned a little but that was after we bought the house! Now on our neighborhood e-mail there is constant chatter about kid's toys beind stolen or someone on their property, etc.

Waxhaw/marvin IMO has the same issues...it is the same shopping centers that I go to.
I know how you feel. Feel the same way. I left here and life was one way . . . came back and wow . . . things had changed.

I used to only worry about my safety when traveling out of town, to other cities. Now I am careful and cautious. I would never leave anything of value outside at nite, altho my DH has done that by accident (left lawn mower out, left leaf blower out). I just don't take chances.

I would never have even thought about doing this stuff in the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or