U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,329 times

Advertisements

Lesbian couple Planning a move to Charlotte, NC in the next 18 months. Looking to buy a home in the Charlotte NC area. Prefer something within a 20 mile radius to the city center. Suggestions? Also visiting the area in July of this year to begin the search so hotel recommendations welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 03:00 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
Thats really too broad of a question to answer. I don't think you'll find an "unfriendly" neighborhood in Charlotte, and I hope you sexual preference doesn't 100% define who you are. Most people will see you as more than a lesbian.

Where will you/partner be working? Housing budget? What kind of neighborhood? Schools? A 20 mile radius from Uptown is an area of over 1,250 square miles. More information is needed to narrow things down.

The traditional answer to your question is probably NODA, Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth and Chantilly. Those are all older, closer in neighborhoods, if thats of interest.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,329 times
Default reply to carolinadawg2

Thanks carolinadawg2 for the reply.

Please understand that my partner and I currently live in Alabama and face judgement EACH and EVERY day. You are right, we ARE much more than a lesbian couple. We are both very successful people - she is a school teacher with 2 masters degrees and currently is deeply CLOSETED for fear of losing her job in the current school system she teaches. I hold a BS in Health Information Management and am the Directory of Electronic Health Records at a computer software company in Birmingham. We desperately want to marry but realize that Alabama will never truly legalize gay marriage. We want to be in a friendly area to call our forever home.

We need not worry about school zoning. We are budgeting 180-200K and want a home with a small yard. 3 Br 2 Ba preferred - no condos. We have never been to Charlotte but would like to remain close to the city life..... I hope this clarification helps.

Thanks again.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:29 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
That budget will be difficult in the neighborhoods that I would consider close to the center city, most of which I mentioned in my previous post. You might want to start searching online for listings in those neighborhoods and see if you find anything in your budget. Maybe add Sedgefield and Madison Park to the list. I don't think you'll encounter anything remotely like what you are describing in AL. There is a lesbian on the Charlotte city council, for example. No one cares.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:33 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,435,127 times
Come on up to Charlotte. You'll find many people in the previously mentioned neighborhoods who are LGBT. Outside of those areas, no one is really going to give you any grief unless you set yourself up for it. Keep in mind that Charlotte does have many, umm, traditional people here. For the most part they are all tolerant as long as your lifestyle doesn't define you and your interactions with everyone else. You will make Charlotte as comfortable or as uncomfortable as you like. It seems like there is a "live your life and I'll live mine" more prevalent lately. That is just my opinion.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:36 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,915,009 times
I would see which school and where you will work first before choosing a neighborhood. The affordable areas in your price range are almost on the outskirts of the city all around. The city is easily an hour drive from top to bottom, side to side. And agree with others, it's extremely tolerant here. My kids had teachers and met their same sex dates/spouses at school festivals etc. You will sometimes run into idiots, but that's with being anything in life that doesn't fit their image. Feel free to ignore em.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:46 AM

441 posts, read 1,070,102 times
Maybe Northwoods, Riverbend, Coulwood....

They are 'west of Charlotte', out Hwy 16 but not in 'west charlotte'. Coulwood has older brink homes, large lots. Well kept, working class and becoming more diverse by the day...young, old, various races. Northwoods is typical suburban track houses. Riverbed is bit upscale of that. The up is that the area is an easy 10 minutes down 16 (or back roads) to get into the city and close to northlake mall, the white water rafting center and mountain island lake. The negative is that the schools are horrible and there is no shopping (aside form Walmart) or quality restaurants (that I know of) in the immediate area.

Otherwise I would hit the city (greater area) as a whole from Huntersville, university area, to south charlotte to uptown to just get a feel for things.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:21 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,170,079 times
Can I ask why Charlotte? Do you already have a job lined up? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte