U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Reputation: 39851

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblkqueen View Post
I'm sure he wasn't the first and won't be the last to do something like that. We shall see. I'm really curious to see how this will play itself out.
You seem to miss my point entirely - he was about to be fired from the police department. If the police department had reason to fire him, WHY would we want him as our sheriff???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 AM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 10,038,363 times
Reputation: 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You seem to miss my point entirely - he was about to be fired from the police department. If the police department had reason to fire him, WHY would we want him as our sheriff???
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
12,646 posts, read 13,901,549 times
Reputation: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
It seems that at a time when there needs to be a push for unity in the U.S., there are those that are obsessed with driving the wedge, ie. Shaprton, Jackson. The Mackey situation is a prime example. When character is placed secondarily and color is primary, there is a color. I am seeing this as the status quo. I have determined through observation and polls that the majority of white people are willing to support the best person for the job regardless of color. Unfortunately, there are a huge number of liberal whites that will always support a black regardless of what the person represents and about 95% of the black will support a black over a white regardless of qualifications. This is very unfortunate. We need to look at what is best for the city and country and reset priorities if we are to ever be a united states.

Very interesting....

Please support your numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Charlotte-Harrisburg
247 posts, read 761,405 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblkqueen View Post
It's always going to be a race issue. I didn't live here when the last Sheriff was elected, did he have to go through the same stuff? Don't be so quick to judge Mackey. Let it play itself out and see what is really uncovered. There is always some sneaky stuff going on when it comes to politics. Including the Sheriff's office or any other organizations. I don't know Mackey personally, but I know I'm not going to be so quick to jump to conclusion. If we look at his past, aside from him filling for bankruptcy, he worked for CMPD for 13 years. Left to complete a degree in law and obtained more than on degree.He has been citizen of charlotte in good standing. Until now
I am an African American, never involved in politics for the very reason that Mackey is under fire. When you become a public figure what you did or did not do becomes public fodder. If he had nothing to hide why all the fuss about keeping it a secret. Its not black or white, its criminal, and the people who are trying to keep their butts out of the fire are making it a race issue. Its a qualification issue and if the man is found to be unqualified, or committed a criminal act then kick his A out and elect someone else. If he is found innocent please accept my apologies, but I do not think I will have to be aplogetic in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,742 posts, read 5,986,999 times
Reputation: 1666
Mackey's own fraternity brother, Warren Turner, tried to run against him at the last mintue. And Tuner is a well known, well respected former city council member. In fact, Steve Crump with channel 3 News reported that it caused a big argument at the Q frat house. That's right, I said they reported this on the "news". Anyone who knows anything about fraternties and sororities in the black community, that should tell you all you need to know about Mackey. His own frat brothers knew what type of person he was, and they tried to convince him not to run. He did anyway, and, well, you see what's happening now. This guy is shaddy. Period. And that has nothing to do with his race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 10:36 PM
 
870 posts, read 3,210,774 times
Reputation: 666
Problem won't go away as long as there are political wanna-be's who can't get elected themselves and have been shown to cheat for themselves.
Dwayne Collins is the force to keep this Mackey thing going. He has invited Sharpton to town. He has been involved in campaign cheating in his own race for District 3 School Board. He has also delayed votes in order to get additional support because the opponent had more votes.
He and Mackey are crooked. The media needs to bring the truth about these guys to the public. Shut them down.

Warren Turner was stopped at the door to the meeting so that his name could not get on the ballot. That was the Democratic way? Mackey's doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2008, 01:46 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
118 posts, read 408,721 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
So do you think bringing in Rev Al and all his cohorts is the answer? Again, I really don't see race as the issue....qualification is the issue!! Will Rev Al some how solve the political issue due to the fact that he's a master of race relations. Everywhere this guy goes....trouble and tension follows and to throw in the race card is just not accurate!! As I stated; I know quite a few people in the department of ALL RACES and none of them think he should be sheriff.
I don't think Rev Al is going to just come in and swoop down on Charlotte and make everything right. Though I must say, it's always entertaining when he's around. However I'm always intrested to see how things play out. Well I know folks that work there too, and there is a mixed movement in the crowd. I don't think everything is about race, but race no matter how much we would like to think that the world has come together singing *** by yah,(I'm sure I spelled that wrong) isn't a reality. It isn't my intention to play the "race card" I just don't think they would have been going through all this rig a murrow if it were a canidate of a cacasian decent. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2008, 02:15 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
118 posts, read 408,721 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorton View Post
I am an African American, never involved in politics for the very reason that Mackey is under fire. When you become a public figure what you did or did not do becomes public fodder. If he had nothing to hide why all the fuss about keeping it a secret. Its not black or white, its criminal, and the people who are trying to keep their butts out of the fire are making it a race issue. Its a qualification issue and if the man is found to be unqualified, or committed a criminal act then kick his A out and elect someone else. If he is found innocent please accept my apologies, but I do not think I will have to be aplogetic in this case.
Oh no need for the apologies, you are entitled to your opinions as is everyone else on the site. I guess for me, it's just not always cut and dry. Time and time again we've witness some funny business when it comes to politics and the law of the land. I like to see where people are with Current events. Especially when it's local. I also like playing the Devils advocate sometimes. I just think it's funny that folks have so much to say about this guy, who has gained a great deal of attention. However I don't feel like Mackey is any different from a lot of folks in politics. Someone mentioned about him taking folks money and not rendering the services, I'm not surprised by that he's not the first and will not be the last Lawyer in charlotte, or anywhere in the US that has done that. Thanks for a great conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2008, 02:25 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
118 posts, read 408,721 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You seem to miss my point entirely - he was about to be fired from the police department. If the police department had reason to fire him, WHY would we want him as our sheriff???
No I didn't miss your point. I simply stated that he's not the first and he won't be the last. To resign from an organization before being fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2008, 06:29 AM
 
870 posts, read 3,210,774 times
Reputation: 666
With as much publicity and name notoriety that Mackey has now, he is a shoe-in for Charlotte Mayor when Pat leaves on his bid for governor. He already has Dwayne Collins and Al Sharpton stumping for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:29 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top