Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 10:12 PM

53 posts, read 89,763 times

Advertisements

I have a few different posts up for NC, in different areas we have found some interest in. We came across Mooresville the other day and thought it looked like a really nice area. We have a 16 year old daughter, who has been doing home schooling since halfway through her freshman year. She will be a junior this Fall. She would like to get back into the school system, focus on her academics and also on some activities and make friends and do all the high school fun stuff too. My husband is a carpenter, self employed. His work up here in Maine speaks for itself, and he has never had any complaints, he is responsible, shows up on time and gets the job done...he also does the little things that the bigger contractors don't want to do, so when everyone up here is complaining they have no work in the winter, he is still busy. He also works part time for a senior citizen apartment complex as the maintenance man...lawn care, snow removal, inspections, handyman. I work from home, doing artwork and making dried floral arrangements.
We will also have my mother in law moving with us and would like to find a home with an inlaw apartment/suite or a home big enough to make her her own area on the main floor/lower floor. We would like a safe area, where we can take an evening walk without worry, and somewhere that there is plenty to do. Also, my daughter would like to be able to find a part time job....there is nothing here for teens. This may or may not be the best area for us, but I won't know until I hear from others that live here. I have heard there are some areas in Mooresville to stay away from, but don't know where those areas are. Any advice???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:16 PM

53 posts, read 89,763 times
Also, saw a home on Shinnville Rd we thought was kind of our style, farmhouse. But again, don't know the areas to steer clear of. What is that area like?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:36 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Honestly, in Mooresville there aren't tons of areas to stay away from. Some areas in the downtown area have higher crime than other parts of the city but even then there are great houses and neighborhoods in that area too.

Mooresville high school would be a great choice for your daughter and she'd have little trouble finding a part time job. As you are looking at houses keep in mind that in the city limits she'd go to Mooresville HS and outside the city limits (west of 77 and some northern parts of town) she'd be going to Lake Norman high school.

Shinnville is a nice area on the outskirts of Mooresville although I don't think it's in the city limits. I live in that general area.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:06 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
As you are looking at houses keep in mind that in the city limits she'd go to Mooresville HS and outside the city limits (west of 77 and some northern parts of town) she'd be going to Lake Norman high school.
Wolf, quick clarification. Some of the areas west of 77 are within city limits and the kids attend LHNS.

OP, both are good schools. People around here debate which school system is better. We all have our thoughts on the subject.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:29 AM

193 posts, read 495,919 times
I agree with the two other posters above, there really aren't that many bad areas around Mooresville. Your budget may be the determining factor for what area, also if it's tight, you may need to consider taxes when choosing to live inside city limit or outside. It can make a significant difference. A lot of kids have jobs around here, Chick fil A will hire at 14 I think...they can make pretty good money babysitting as well!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:14 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
I think the husband would be far more likely to find jobs in Mooresville than in a tiny place like Rutherfordton, since it is a growing area of suburban Charlotte. There will also be far more transplants, so the daughter will not be out of place, and will be able to find a part time job.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,627 times
Hello,
We are relocating too from NH. We are seeking the same information. Would you like to compare notes?

Old 07-21-2015, 08:48 PM

20 posts, read 25,801 times
Hello to both, I moved from the north a year ago and live in Mooresville city limits, rented then built new. Both schools are great, it just depends on what you like, the busier lake side or the country side, apples to oranges. but housing price point, taxes and such are all things to consider. feel free to reply or PM directly.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:59 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,378,862 times
Been here in Mooresville from NY for 9 yrs now & LOVE it! Great area with lots to offer! I do know of a mother/daughter home that is for sale in my subdivision. Not sure of your price range, but it might work for you. Check out Harris Village, Dairy Farm Rd.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:54 AM

49 posts, read 66,301 times
I lived in Mooresville for about 5 years prior to moving over to Concord. If you don't mind a little bit of traffic when going to Target, you'll be fine. It's a great growing town that my wife and I frequent still for dining and visiting friends. If it wasn't for our budget, we would probably still live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte