Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:02 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,460,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCarnegie View Post
I shop at the HD and Lowes in Huntersville as they are near each other. The thing I don't understand is that this is Lowes HQ country and the Huntersville store has practically no employees. I've walked out more than once because I couldn't find someone to help me get a high box off the racks or answer a question. HD on the other hand seems better staffed and often has better prices for identical items. I bought scaffolding at HD that was 30% cheaper than the identical items at Lowes. This is not an Ad for HD, I'm just confused why Lowes would let a flagship store in the backyard of their headquarters be so poorly staffed. Good, helpful people there but they just need more.
It's the time of the year where staffing is really lean whether it's in Mooresville, Huntersville or anywhere really. Lowe's will be hiring additional staff as the ramp up to spring occurs which will help. The next time you're in Lowe's and see someone wearing a blue vest make your thoughts known. Or, you can shoot an email to the Customer Care mailbox and say the same. Finding the right mix of sales per employee hour is difficult and Lowe's doesn't always get it right, even in our own backyard. I do work for Lowe's and love it but we can certainly improve on things to enhance the customer experience. I hate to see someone walk into our revamped Huntersville store (or any store for that matter) and leave because they couldn't get help, that's inexcusable IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 09:15 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Not to derail my own thread about Costco, but I pretty much drive past 2 (sometimes 3 if I take Hwy 150 to 77) Lowes stores to go to HD in Statesville. They won me over a couple years ago when I was getting the old house ready for sale. They made a killing on me this past year with everything from appliances to my lawn tractor, to landscaping needs for the new house.

What really ticked me too was finding out (the hard way) that the Troutman Lowes store closes earlier than their other stores on Sundays in the summer. I was in the middle of hanging ceiling fans and needed something silly like screws or wire nuts. Hopped on the bike and ran over to Troutman since I knew they were closing soon. Pulled up and they were long closed and dark. So I raced down to Mooresville and they had just closed by a few minutes. If I knew, I could have went to Mooresville first and made it in time.

Anyway, back to Costco. Can't wait!!!

Old 02-26-2016, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,328 times
I understand the convenience factor for everyone, but do you realize that this is going in a 100% residential neighborhood, not suited for such a development. the town is not going to make the proper improvements to the roads. You can kiss the short cut to avoid 150 goodbye, Traffic will be a nightmare. The reason they turned it down at Langtree is that it was the same basic demographic. There will be at least 700+ residences negatively effected by this, lower home values, added crime and some will never be able to get out of their homes. If you take a ride there you will notice really nice houses on the road. Imagine having to live there with restaurants in your front yard, and 2500 people descending on Costco, Sports Academy and six unknown out parcels, probably restaurants. Those people will never be able to sell their houses. Think hard, do you want to displace and ruin people's lives for convenience? There are other more suitable places in Mooresville for them to go. The reason they keep putting it off is that Costco doesn't care who it effects, but thank God our town does. Do you want this across from your house?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:26 AM

^ What makes you think the town won't make the updates to the roads in that area? Have they stated as such? I've seen several improvements on the roads in Mooresville in the 6 years I've lived here, although not as quick as I'd like to see all the time. If done correctly, this could actually improve some of the congestion currently. Obviously the developer would need to share in the costs of those upgrades as part of the approval.

Where is a better location in Mooresville for it to go that wouldn't impact another set of homeowners? Shifting the problem from one neighborhood to another that doesn't impact you isn't making it better, just a different location. I do not like that it'll negatively impact some homeowners potentially.

It's hard to stop growth. Especially if there's money to be made.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:54 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Where is a better location in Mooresville for it to go that wouldn't impact another set of homeowners? Shifting the problem from one neighborhood to another that doesn't impact you isn't making it better, just a different location.
Looks like Ms. Underwood already made similar comments to WSOCTV and is suggesting exactly that.

Mooresville neighbors upset after plans for Costco approved | WSOC-TV

Quote:
"We're all for Costco coming in here," she said. "Just not in the particular area they're trying to rezone at the moment."'
Sure there will be some added traffic, but it's a Costco, not a strip club. Some people may actually like potentially being able to walk there (although it may be tough to walk home with 7,000 loaves of bread, but you can at least get the hot dog + soda for $1.50).

Looks like the most recent home that was listed in the Reed Creek neighborhood was under contract in a day, so doesn't seem like there is concern from potential homebuyers yet at least. As far as I can tell there are no homes currently active on the market so it also doesn't seem like they're that concerned with the Costco going in, unless they are just that confident that they'll be able to block it.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:47 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Read Ms. Underwood's comments on her post here and her comments to WSOC. Based on what I see so far, the only defense they're using is NIMBY.

I don't see how people would think that developers would elect to take 40+ acres of land at a growing interstate exchange and turn it into a bird sanctuary! Retail and restaurants are destined to be in that spot from the get-go. It would be naïve to think otherwise.

Your best move now should be to have your HOA interact with the developer and work to have the neighborhoods interests included in their plans rather than fighting it and "taking what you get".

Old 02-26-2016, 09:25 PM

Agreed. As soon as exit 35 was planned years ago the writing was on the wall for anyone paying attention to that area. You already live in the backyard of Wal-Mart so it should be no surprise there would be additional retail coming sooner than later to that parcel of attractive land.

With houses selling so quickly right now, I'd sell and move if I was so worried about it before the construction got started. There's plenty of people that actually want to be that close to shopping and will buy your house.

Wondering if they'll connect the parking lot at Gander Mountain with a road that could take traffic straight to either the interstate or back to 150 without the need to get on Talbert? There are several options they could do to flow the traffic well and from what I've seen so far in the town they do a pretty good job of it.

In a few years when they construct a new exit off Cornelius we'll likely hear the same from the folks at Sister's Cove that are paying a huge premium right now for living on a two lane country road on the lake that's about to get a LOT more traffic and growth IMO.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:59 PM

13 posts, read 17,877 times
Folks I feel for Underwood's concerns; the long and the short is the town will do what it wants but these people have the right to fight for what they want; it directly effects them.

Now I believe when exit 35 was put in the people should have expected this to happen. Towns grow and then think about the roads.

It is my understanding that these nearby neighborhoods are 20 years old or so, that being said. if you built 20 years ago your not going to loose money you just wont make as much. If you recently purchased you may only break even if you sell now.

Many people who moved to this area years ago have seen this before. My suggestion is to figure out what you can gain from this and move on. I've been in this situation before and you can fight hard and hope to win. but be prepared to lose and have a plan on how to deal with it. Best of luck to you all.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:19 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunderwood View Post
The reason they turned it down at Langtree is that it was the same basic demographic.

Ummm, you do realize there is a HUGE aquatic center being built in Langtree that is going to greatly mess up traffic, right? Kids from all over Lake Norman will be going to this center which will greatly impact traffic on 77 going both north and south. Having a Costco is not going to bring more crime. The Lake Norman area in general does not properly prepare for these types of things in regards to traffic. When there is an accident on 77, all of the surrounding roads from Mooresville through Davidson come to a screeching halt.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Ummm, you do realize there is a HUGE aquatic center being built in Langtree that is going to greatly mess up traffic, right? Kids from all over Lake Norman will be going to this center which will greatly impact traffic on 77 going both north and south. Having a Costco is not going to bring more crime. The Lake Norman area in general does not properly prepare for these types of things in regards to traffic. When there is an accident on 77, all of the surrounding roads from Mooresville through Davidson come to a screeching halt.
It's not the "Lake Norman area" that's failing there. You can thank your NCDOT for the amazing short-sightedness they've exhibited in having a 2 lane interstate in one of the fastest growing corridors in the state. The aquatic center will have no impact on 77 traffic at all. That road is a mess whether the swimming pool is at Langtree or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte