Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:16 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizedmortal View Post
I am from NYC and in the process of applying to IT jobs in the Charlotte area. I want to live in Troutman. I am 31 with a 3 year old and want to settle down.

I do not enjoy looking for parking for an hour and a half after work everyday. $2000 a month gets you 500 squared feet, noise, garbage and 8 million neighbors. When I look out the window I see cement. I want to see nature.

I know it won't all be cherries. Life's harsh realities present themselves everywhere, but I am ready to try something different. I can't wait to see the stars from down there, be able to wave to someone without being given the finger, and inhale some fresh air!
Would you be interested ib a data center?

Old 02-23-2017, 03:13 AM

79 posts, read 83,679 times
As a transplant from Wash DC in 2000, i would argue, job first & rent a house/apt until you figure out whats what here. You may have to start out here at less than you make in NYC but hey, that's OK cause it costs less to live here.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 AM

7 posts, read 10,515 times
Tp I will reach out to you I appreciate it. Southbound_295 I am willing to work at a data center. I have a CEH certification and will also look into IT security. Jacon4, I hear you and agree. Thank you all for your responses.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:36 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizedmortal View Post
Tp I will reach out to you I appreciate it. Southbound_295 I am willing to work at a data center. I have a CEH certification and will also look into IT security. Jacon4, I hear you and agree. Thank you all for your responses.
There is a data center in Maiden, near Hickory. There are 3 in Kings Mountain. Facebook is out in Forest City, whch is closer to Spartanburg than Charlotte.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 10,515 times
Default Update

I found a higher level IT job that pays more in Charlotte. The 45 minute commute from Mooresville is a lot better than the hour and a half commute I had in NYC and I do not have to look for parking for an hour or more when I get home. The parks are clean and I do not get honked at a second before the light turns green.

I actually had some money left after I paid my bills and rent these past couple of weekends and was able to go outside.

I know that I will have ups and downs but I am very happy with the move. Thank you to everyone who offered advice and tpyoknig for personally reaching out to me with valuable information that helped me along the way!

Old 05-17-2017, 04:53 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,596,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw75 View Post
Yes I get it...I was close to moving there earlier this year, for new job offer with a nice bump up in pay. At first I was smitten with Charlotte and saw "what I wanted to see" in the city, then after 3 or 4 trips I started noticing quality of life details which I had not before, then on trip 5 and 6 looking at homes and especially schools for the kids my revelation was that I certainly did not want to live there. And I was sure about that fact as I could be about anything...

The HR recruiter tried to convince me to move for the job several times, but then the last thing he said was that his wife really did not like it there either so he understood.

It will probably benefit Charlotte in the long term to have some potential transplants decide not to move there, as it seems like city planning and infrastructure needs to catch up quite a bit with the massive population growth that has all ready happened.

To the OP, good luck on getting back to living where it makes you happy and keep on the bright side, I hope you guys can wean off the antidepressants soon.
thanks, it is nice to see this type of thing discussed rather than the nasty comments from offended locals.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:23 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,447,536 times
Bye! Go back to California!

Old 01-06-2018, 07:25 PM

378 posts, read 412,782 times
I'm planning on visiting Charlotte next week. What is it like? Are people friendly, is their good stuff there?

Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 AM

231 posts, read 210,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
I'm planning on visiting Charlotte next week. What is it like? Are people friendly, is their good stuff there?
It's what you make of it, like just about anywhere else.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:15 AM

486 posts, read 460,298 times
And from what I hear cali is full of fog. We have visited nc 3x In the last 2 years. Each visit was great. We love it there and are praying we will feel the same once we relocate. Of course I will miss the familiarity of home, and family, but my husband and I will make the best of it. A change for us is needed

UOTE=Jsnow3312;40213538]Charlotte isn't the most fun city but the last thing you can say about charlotte is that it is dirty. This city is a nice town with lots of trees and parks. California to me is nothing but a bunch of freeways, back lots and strip malls. Charlotte is new and clean.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte