Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
old navy is a popular brand.

not sure why it looks bad to have an upscale store close at a mall.

the only people who view this as a negative are the people who think purchasing an item at a high priced store makes their life better.
It belongs in north lake not southpark. Southpark is supposed to be exclusive mall to the carolinas. Open Zara toshop All saints etc something that's not in your market as of yet.

It wasn't Jab either. I viewed it as a negative because of the type of mall Southpark is claiming to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
He's probably a window shopper at Lenox anyways.
Actually I shop at Barneys New York where I am an employee here in NY. So I'm glad you used the word Probably. Since you weren't too sure.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:10 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Southpark is supposed to be exclusive mall to the carolinas.
SouthPark doesn't claim that. In fact, I believe you would have trouble finding anyone in the Triangle who would agree with you at all. (If they have even heard of SouthPark)

Old 09-26-2015, 03:46 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
It belongs in north lake not southpark. Southpark is supposed to be exclusive mall to the carolinas. Open Zara toshop All saints etc something that's not in your market as of yet.

It wasn't Jab either. I viewed it as a negative because of the type of mall Southpark is claiming to be
where are you getting your information?

Old 09-26-2015, 03:52 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Actually I shop at Barneys New York where I am an employee here in NY. So I'm glad you used the word Probably. Since you weren't too sure.
oh, you are one of those people.

lol, carry on.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
oh, you are one of those people.

lol, carry on.
Yep someone that works for a living.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:13 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
SouthPark doesn't claim that. In fact, I believe you would have trouble finding anyone in the Triangle who would agree with you at all. (If they have even heard of SouthPark)
Now you know the Triangle has heard of SouthPark, where actual luxury stores exist rather than having a section inside their pride and joy, Saks.

Quote:
Yep someone that works for a living.
Interesting. You claimed to work at Zara the last time Charlotte's retail was brought up.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Now you know the Triangle has heard of SouthPark, where actual luxury stores exist rather than having a section inside their pride and joy, Saks.

Interesting. You claimed to work at Zara the last time Charlotte's retail was brought up.
Interesting that was so long ago. I worked for Saks full time and Zara part time as a sales associate here in NY. Now I work for Barneys corporate as a buyer. Now I've updated you so next time Charlotte retail is brought up you will have the right information.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:53 PM

48 posts, read 56,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
If only everyone could be as humble, modest and self-assured as the common folks of Union County and Darien, CT. Definitely no materialism or worry about status in those 2 communities!

Give me a break! Every neighborhood has it's share of insecure elements that need to "keep up" and let everyone know they are while doing it. I don't think it's limited to the neighborhoods you mention though. I think we're all guilty of a bit of materialism, whether you're hob-nobbing at Myers Park, or bragging about your square footage in Union county.
I didn't brag about square footage.

Yes, every neighborhood will have the "keep up" elements however as I stated these are my observations from my interactions with these individuals. And yes, I do like some of the finer things in life (as we all do) but I don't point them out to my friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Snob zones: Fear, money and real estate - Salon.com

Here's Darien CT for you and their universal acceptance and lack of social status worries.

Darien was known to be a “restricted” community, which was a fairly common phenomenon outside many major cities by the 1920s. Developers had figured out that promises of exclusivity drew buyers. Real estate advertisements freely used the term “restricted” as a selling point. An advertisement in the New York Times for a property for sale in South Norwalk, Connecticut, described a “Highly restricted desirable home at Harbor View Beach.” Another ad, for a Connecticut beach house overlooking a golf course, omitted the exact location but specified instead that it was a “restricted section.” The ads did not spell out the restrictions, but the implication was clear: the neighborhoods were “safe” for a certain class and color of people. Developers often spelled out the restrictions in covenants written into the property deeds. Early on, the covenants restricted the kinds of uses allowed on the property and set design and cost standards. Over time, however, restrictions were extended to exclude certain types of people, like the ban on Jews at the Noroton Neck beach.
That was what, 100 years ago? Darien has changed a little since the, and South Norwalk is a different town. Let's talk about what charlotte was like 100 years ago: Jim Crow Comes To Mecklenburg County

Stefanoni is a jerk, read more about him and the multiple things he has tried to do to in Darien.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:42 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
I didn't brag about square footage.

Yes, every neighborhood will have the "keep up" elements however as I stated these are my observations from my interactions with these individuals. And yes, I do like some of the finer things in life (as we all do) but I don't point them out to my friends.

That was what, 100 years ago? Darien has changed a little since the, and South Norwalk is a different town. Let's talk about what charlotte was like 100 years ago: Jim Crow Comes To Mecklenburg County

Stefanoni is a jerk, read more about him and the multiple things he has tried to do to in Darien.

I never claimed any area to be exempt of the showiness you have observed. I only found it humorous that you chose two affluent areas that are definitely as obsessed with materialism as Myers Park to compare. I have lots of observations and interactions with the fine people of Darien and Union County too. One of my best friends from college grew up there and I've visited his family numerous times.

You will see what you want to see.

People in Charlotte are not more "showy" or outwardly status driven than anywhere else. I'm not saying you haven't perceived this, but I am saying I would need better examples to be swayed otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte