U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-11-2006, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,973 times
Smile How is Union County for living and schools

We are considering moving to NC, around Union County. How is the area and the schools? I've heard that the schools are over crowded, (many classes in trailors). Are the schools still good? We have a 10 year old son with autism so are looking to find out how the special ed services would be like for him. He is pretty involved and would require alot of services. Not sure how it works there. Are there any schools that have a better handle on it for a child who is pretty involved?
What are some good towns to look into? We may be going over Thanksgiving weekend to take a look at the areas. Are there any good relocation realtors to hook up with that anyone can recommend?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-11-2006, 06:24 PM

2,314 posts
If your set on Union county there is a Realtor on here with the Screen Name South Charlotte and Union. She seems to know the area well. If you head up to Lake Norman let me know

Unread 11-11-2006, 06:59 PM

531 posts, read 1,355,549 times
I live in Union County, also with a child on the Autism scale. We have found the area to be wonderful. The schools here have been great and the teachers are the best! Do not be put off by the trailers. Even though they are in trailers, they are larger than most indoor classrooms. The students also do not get distracted by students and staff in the hallways. They are also working on getting several new schools up and running in the next few years. If you are interested in the area I can give you several names and numbers of people to contact in the school system before you move.

I am in Indian Trail and it is a beatiful area close to I-485 and Routes 74 & 51. Weddington and Matthews are also good towns to look into in the area. Please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. Good luck in your search.

Unread 05-07-2007, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,896 times
Hello to you all,
I am also thinking of moving to the Union County area not sure where but my husband and I would like to get some more info on private and public schools. I would also like to know more in general about this county. This is a very big move for me and our two children 9 and 2 years old. I feel very overwelm with all the search and feel as if I am not sure what I am looking for. How is the jobs there and the community on a whole. We don't really want to live in the city and is looking for single family home with at least 3 acres. Please if you can help me that would be greatly apreaciated

Unread 05-07-2007, 10:44 AM
ADR

171 posts, read 293,903 times
dandevder,

did you end up building in Crismark?

Unread 05-07-2007, 10:49 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,287,615 times
There are a number of threads on communities and schools in Union County. The best thing you can do is find an agent who can tailor a search to meet your specific needs. If you need names and/or contact info let me know.

Unread 05-07-2007, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,254 times
Default Union County and Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
I live in Union County, also with a child on the Autism scale. We have found the area to be wonderful. The schools here have been great and the teachers are the best! Do not be put off by the trailers. Even though they are in trailers, they are larger than most indoor classrooms. The students also do not get distracted by students and staff in the hallways. They are also working on getting several new schools up and running in the next few years. If you are interested in the area I can give you several names and numbers of people to contact in the school system before you move.

I am in Indian Trail and it is a beatiful area close to I-485 and Routes 74 & 51. Weddington and Matthews are also good towns to look into in the area. Please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. Good luck in your search.

I am moving from Scottsdale to Charlotte and am looking at Union County b/c my husband will be working at 485 and 74. Could you characterize the differen cities? i.e. Weddington, Matthews, and Indian Trail? Which directions would be the best to travel for the commute? Are the schools equally comparable or is one area better than others? AND (whew) are there any excellent private schools in those areas?
Karen
kashbyortiz@yahoo.com

Unread 05-07-2007, 11:15 AM

531 posts, read 1,355,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
dandevder,

did you end up building in Crismark?
We are not in Crismark, we are next to Crismark. I have heard many nice things about the development from friends. They are building like crazy there now.

Newmexkid and benitacam, If your hubby is working at 485 and 74...i would definitley stay south of Charlotte for an easy commute. Matthews, Stallings, Indian Trail, and Waxhaw would be great places to look at. They are all located just outside Charlotte. I find these towns are lower in crime than the city. All of the towns are very nice and the residents are great.

To check out schools, I would check out www.greatschools.net. I found a lot of useful info there. Also check out www.ucps.k12.nc.us for the counties schools website. You can locate each schools website through that link. To check out some info about the County check this website...http://www.co.union.nc.us/

Please feel free to pm me with any specific questions you have. I will do my best to get you the info.

Last edited by dandevder; 05-07-2007 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: needed to add a link

Unread 08-28-2007, 02:57 PM

38 posts, read 102,752 times
Default how is it for high functioning autism/adhd/ld in union co

Hello, if a child is maybe severe adhd, ld, but no behavior problems, how ould they handle that child in union county schools? what is a good area to move to?

Quote:

Unread 08-28-2007, 02:59 PM

38 posts, read 102,752 times
Default hi can you recommend developments/areas

Hi,

Can you recommend any developments or closeby areas that are possibly one level with bonus room or something like that for not much over 200K?

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte