U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 12:43 AM

15 posts, read 7,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk55 View Post
Pray that Wegmans comes to town. Though it wasn't the only thing that made me leave Charlotte, one of the things that made me happy about leaving and moving back to NY was the fact that I could go back to my old grocery heaven at Weggies and be free of HT. Food Lion and BiLo.
They're opening a store in Cary, NC so I'm sure it will eventually come to Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 11:02 AM

21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGuyTravels View Post
They're opening a store in Cary, NC so I'm sure it will eventually come to Charlotte.
They're opening 4 stores in the Triangle.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:34 PM

3,434 posts, read 4,307,767 times
The newer Harris Teeter and Publix stores are very nice. I have always liked Harris Teeter and currently frequent Publix here in SC. There are 2 upscale HT stores currently under development here in Greenville, SC as they return to the Upstate. As for Wegman's, they are a great destination store and it will be interesting to see if they expand from the Triangle down to Charlotte. There is speculation they may be considering Greensboro, so if that happens, I would think they would want to move down to Charlotte as well.

Meanwhile the Charlotte grocery market is very tight and operating on razor thin margins, according to a front page report in the Sunday Charlotte Observer, which I picked up at Publix. And ironically there is a Publix ad on the bottom of the front page under that same article. Aldi and Lidl are making an impact, although Lidl has slowed expansion and BI-LO is continually closing stores, according to the report. Looks like Walmart, Harris Teeter, and Publix will dominate, with BI-LO and Food Lion being forced out. Aldi and Lidl will be competitive in the discount sector.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Lidl halts construction on Mooresville grocery store | Charlotte Observer

Lidl halts construction on the Mooresville store, in addition to the South End store halting in Charlotte.
WSOC just ran a story on the South End location. The lot is a brownfield. Apparently it was more contaminated than they thought. They are saying that a final decision hasn't been made.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:38 PM

1,185 posts, read 813,991 times
And rumor has it that Bi-Lo is filing for Bankruptcy; Up to 200 of their stores are slated for the chopping block.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
And rumor has it that Bi-Lo is filing for Bankruptcy; Up to 200 of their stores are slated for the chopping block.
They could get a head start & close the one at Union & Hudson, in Gastonia, right now.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:36 AM

19,956 posts, read 18,786,557 times
I project four Mecklenburg County Harvey's Supermarket and BI-LO stores to close:

Old 02-18-2018, 11:24 AM

376 posts, read 223,844 times
As if Randolph Road infrastructure handles existing traffic well now, wait until the new Cotswold Publix opens directly across from Harris Teeter and the Cotswold Village Shops and next to the Chick-Fil-A with massively inadequate entry/egress capacity. Job well done Charlotte Mecklenburg civil engineering and development approval gurus!

Old 02-19-2018, 02:56 PM

601 posts, read 789,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I project four Mecklenburg County Harvey's Supermarket and BI-LO stores to close:
Do you think the Harvey’s on Albemarle Road would survive?

Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,369,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I can't see the two in south Charlotte closing without taking the Monroe store along with it. Servicing a single store so far from the others (even now) has to be the opposite of cost-effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or