U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-23-2018, 01:06 PM
 
1,452 posts, read 992,914 times
Reputation: 1664

Advertisements

Here is a nice summary of 4 Asian grocery stores in the Charlotte area:

Anh Dao Sakura Oriental Market
Super G Mart
New Asia Market
PePeRo

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/1435...und-charlotte/

I'm only been to Super G and PePeRo so have two news ones to add to my list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2018, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,435 posts, read 4,307,767 times
Reputation: 1384
Charlotte Observer has reported a new super large Publix will be built in the SouthPark area off Colony Rd. It will be 68,000 square feet. Most Publix stores are about 50,000 square feet so this should be one of the largest Publix stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,435 posts, read 4,307,767 times
Reputation: 1384
Also Publix now has Hot and Spicy version of their very good fried chicken. And all their holiday side orders are very good this year: green bean casserole, cornbread dressing, corn casserole, sweet potato casserole, broccoli cheese casserole, mashed potatoes, spinach. They carry these prepared side dishes Thanksgiving thru Christmas, but I suggest they add year round. Regular $8.99, sometimes half price BOGO sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2018, 06:22 AM
 
1,452 posts, read 992,914 times
Reputation: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Charlotte Observer has reported a new super large Publix will be built in the SouthPark area off Colony Rd. It will be 68,000 square feet. Most Publix stores are about 50,000 square feet so this should be one of the largest Publix stores.
This will likely mean the death of the Earth Fare at Morrison Village across the street once complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2018, 12:04 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,856 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Charlotte Observer has reported a new super large Publix will be built in the SouthPark area off Colony Rd. It will be 68,000 square feet. Most Publix stores are about 50,000 square feet so this should be one of the largest Publix stores.
I wonder if Publix & Harris Teeter building big stores is intended to keep Ingles out, or if it's geared towards Wegmans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2018, 12:15 PM
 
1,452 posts, read 992,914 times
Reputation: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I wonder if Publix & Harris Teeter building big stores is intended to keep Ingles out, or if it's geared towards Wegmans.
I think it is more geared towards increasing their revenue generating space with wine bars, salad bars, cheese bars, hot food bars, etc... that have higher profit margins. The expanded square footage pays for itself with the profit margin generated in the expansion area and then it makes the store overall more of a draw. They'd like nothing more than somebody stop by and grab a glass of wine for $8 and share a cheeseboard for $15 before they go shop in the rest of the store and do errands at a 1% profit margin.

With older stores the focus was all on the grocery items themselves, but due to competition from Walmart and increased consolidation among suppliers, margins on food are not the way to thrive.

Last edited by CLT4; 12-18-2018 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2018, 05:21 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 2,452,362 times
Reputation: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
They'd like nothing more than somebody stop by and grab a glass of wine for $8 and share a cheeseboard for $15 before they go shop in the rest of the store and do errands at a 1% profit margin.
The profit margins in food are a lot higher than often get touted. This 1-2% figure that you often hear bandied about is the grocer's net profits, rather than gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2018, 06:20 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,856 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I think it is more geared towards increasing their revenue generating space with wine bars, salad bars, cheese bars, hot food bars, etc... that have higher profit margins. The expanded square footage pays for itself with the profit margin generated in the expansion area and then it makes the store overall more of a draw. They'd like nothing more than somebody stop by and grab a glass of wine for $8 and share a cheeseboard for $15 before they go shop in the rest of the store and do errands at a 1% profit margin.

With older stores the focus was all on the grocery items themselves, but due to competition from Walmart and increased consolidation among suppliers, margins on food are not the way to thrive.
I know. 3 of the 4 closest Ingles are big. If I remember correctly the Kings Mountain store is 85K square feet & Dallas is 80K square feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 PM
 
Location: The City of Medicine
1,185 posts, read 813,991 times
Reputation: 995
The 68,000 Square foot Publix in SouthPark is supposed to go near the original Taj-Ma-Teeter, which is a little over 70,000 Square Feet.

HT recently opened a their largest store (100,000 Square feet) in New Bern back on December 5th. They’re taking up after Kroger, who also has really large stores.


Publix also bought a 74,000 Square Foot former Martins in Midlothian, VA that is a mile or two from the Wegmans nearby. When it opens, it would be the second largest Publix store (assuming they take all the space and not subdivide it)

The largest Publix store is currently an 82,700 Square foot store located in Bradenton, Florida.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 12-18-2018 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Murica
816 posts, read 636,726 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I wonder if Publix & Harris Teeter building big stores is intended to keep Ingles out, or if it's geared towards Wegmans.
I think people new to the region are the only ones who think there is a difference besides ownership.. Stores with character and quirky products are a thing of the past about..

Last edited by TJJT; 01-01-2019 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top