Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 09:07 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
I think people new to the region are the only ones who think there is a difference besides ownership.. Stores with character and quirky products are a thing of the past about..
I'm not sure where you're going. Ingles is headquartered in Black Mountain. Inventory is a blend, including Midwestern and MidAtlantic products. Wegmans is MidAtlantic. Both have a tendency to build very large stores.

Kroger & Harris Teeter have been competing with Wegmans in Virginia and Maryland. Harris Teeter dumped their Shelby store after the big Ingles store opened in Kings Mountain. They closed their Lincolnton store when Ingles opened in that vicinity. Publix has been competing with Ingles in upstate SC. They are competing with Wegmans in Richmond.

Wegmans is now entering NC. Ingles has been replacing older, smaller stores. I don't know where they are in that project. However, now both Publix and Harris Teeter are looking at putting large stores into the Charlotte market.

One or both of the other chains has to be their reason for the bigger stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 12:24 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm not sure where you're going. Ingles is headquartered in Black Mountain. Inventory is a blend, including Midwestern and MidAtlantic products. Wegmans is MidAtlantic. Both have a tendency to build very large stores.

Kroger & Harris Teeter have been competing with Wegmans in Virginia and Maryland. Harris Teeter dumped their Shelby store after the big Ingles store opened in Kings Mountain. They closed their Lincolnton store when Ingles opened in that vicinity. Publix has been competing with Ingles in upstate SC. They are competing with Wegmans in Richmond.

Wegmans is now entering NC. Ingles has been replacing older, smaller stores. I don't know where they are in that project. However, now both Publix and Harris Teeter are looking at putting large stores into the Charlotte market.

One or both of the other chains has to be their reason for the bigger stores.
I was just saying new-construction stores all look the same and have mostly negligible product difference..

I worked retail-merchandising a few years all up and down the east coast. Corporate puts more selection in markets with higher income averages.. That's about it..

The 'better meat department' and 'better produce department' and 'more laid back layout' stuff ended in the nineties when all the small distributors got pushed out of the industry..

Old 01-02-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I was just saying new-construction stores all look the same and have mostly negligible product difference..

I worked retail-merchandising a few years all up and down the east coast. Corporate puts more selection in markets with higher income averages.. That's about it..

The 'better meat department' and 'better produce department' and 'more laid back layout' stuff ended in the nineties when all the small distributors got pushed out of the industry..
Are you saying that a new Ingles looks like a new Publix or a new Harris Teeter looks like a new Wegmans?

Old 01-03-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that a new Ingles looks like a new Publix or a new Harris Teeter looks like a new Wegmans?
Publix is the only one that looks different and it's only because of the scale.

It's really digging deep to argue over the ~6% of the product brand-variation..

I'll repeat what I said before: Heavy variation in products and departments went away with Galaxy Foods, Winn-Dixie, Honey's and Bi-Lo era distrobution and branding. Arguing over current-day grocery stores is like heavy debate on which pastel pallete makes a better suburb... Yawn

Old 01-03-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:

I'll repeat what I said before: Heavy variation in products and departments went away with Galaxy Foods, Winn-Dixie, Honey's and Bi-Lo era distrobution and branding. Arguing over current-day grocery stores is like heavy debate on which pastel pallete makes a better suburb... Yawn
When was the last time that you saw a big Ingles? What do you know of Wegmans?

Old 01-10-2019, 11:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:

Publix carries more brands that you would find in Florida (and by extension the Northeast US).

Old 01-20-2019, 01:27 PM

I was in the Gastonia Lidl a few days ago. They are increasing the grocery area and shrinking the nonfoods area.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:32 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
I was in the Gastonia Lidl a few days ago. They are increasing the grocery area and shrinking the nonfoods area.

I went into the Concord Mills Lidl yesterday and the grocery area is quite big. The price and selection is great and it's much bigger than the Aldi we have in that area.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I went into the Concord Mills Lidl yesterday and the grocery area is quite big. The price and selection is great and it's much bigger than the Aldi we have in that area.
Well, they expanded the nonfoods area because the initial manager of Lidl US had weird stuff that wasn't moving well and it was backed up. They needed the extra space for that. This was the guy from Ireland who though that $20 a pound Irish beef was a good idea.

He was replaced by 2 Germans who have pretty well righted the ship. Now they are reducing the nonfoods area and putting back more food. I like Aldi and Lidl, for different things. If you play both you can do very well, price-wise.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Publix carries more brands that you would find in Florida (and by extension the Northeast US).
When I worked in the industry I use to see Food Lion stores less than ten minutes apart that had a huge contrast between selection. It's just extra selection from the same brand in higher income neighborhoods.

Up till grocery stores were "walmartized" in the early two-thousands stores did huge battles over distribution and suppliers. I remember a Bi-Lo in Newton Conover that had stuff you couldn't get anywhere else in the Piedmont somehow by brokering with obscure mid-west distributors.. Nobody does this now which is why people are talking about how great a store with 5% extra frozen section and 50% more alcohocol brands is so great.. Oh and the lack of ugly staff and more fake plants..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte