U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 04:35 PM

21,881 posts, read 27,145,371 times

Advertisements

The grocery fun is just beginning. There's a brand new thread on the North Carolina board with the news that everyone has been waiting for. Wegmans is coming to North Carolina. The first store will be in Cary.

Wegman's is Coming! Wegman's is Coming!

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...e55454620.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:28 PM

151 posts, read 229,126 times
Wegmans is opening their first NC store in Cary. Hopefully Charlotte will be next!

Old 01-19-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalideas View Post
Wegmans is opening their first NC store in Cary. Hopefully Charlotte will be next!
I would suspect that Greensboro & Winston-Salem will be next. It would only make sense. Unless they build a 2nd distribution center somewhere in Virginia or around Burlington, my guess is that Charlotte will be the end of the line.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:18 PM

19,961 posts, read 18,803,688 times
Wegman's store count (88 stores) and its expansive footprint from New York to Virginia do not match up. It should have twice, three or four times the store count it presently does for its footprint.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:45 PM

5,165 posts, read 3,265,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Wegman's store count (88 stores) and its expansive footprint from New York to Virginia do not match up. It should have twice, three or four times the store count it presently does for its footprint.
Not if your the IKEA of grocery stores! Wegmans (totally privately owned) does extensive planning before they decide to build a new store anywhere and are obviously pretty selective. Let's look at revenue numbers from 2013 when they had 84 stores. Their revenue was $7 billion, which comes out to $83.3 million per store for 2013.

Now lets look at Publix, which people love to compare Wegmans to. In 2013, Publix had a total revenue of $29 billion, more than 4 times Wegmans numbers right, but throw in the fact Publix had 1110 stores in 2103 and their revenue per store was $26.1 million, more than 3 times less than Wegmans revenue per store.

Trust me, the Wegman family know what they are doing, slow and steady, slow and steady!

Old 01-19-2016, 11:04 PM

Slow and stagnant growth is just as bad as quick, poorly planned, and overextended growth by Food Lion, Hannaford, and Lowe's Foods. Opening three store a year with each store being 80,000 to 120,000 square feet in size is not much growth. Ingle's is opening new stores at and improving existing stores to 72,000 square feet.

Publix currently has 1,113 stores. It does extensive planning, has several store prototype sizes, and is constantly announcing and opening additional stores.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I'm surprised that they are crossing the state line. Unless they open a 2nd distribution center south of north central PA I don't think that they'll go beyond Charlotte. There's an old Wegmans thread that's been revived on the triangle board.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:25 PM

If Wegman's continues to open additional stores in the mid-Atlantic United States, it will need to add a distribution center sooner than later. It is like Publix further expanding into North Carolina and needing a distribution center to support existing and additional stores.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:27 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,705,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Not if your the IKEA of grocery stores! Wegmans (totally privately owned) does extensive planning before they decide to build a new store anywhere and are obviously pretty selective. Let's look at revenue numbers from 2013 when they had 84 stores. Their revenue was $7 billion, which comes out to $83.3 million per store for 2013.

Now lets look at Publix, which people love to compare Wegmans to. In 2013, Publix had a total revenue of $29 billion, more than 4 times Wegmans numbers right, but throw in the fact Publix had 1110 stores in 2103 and their revenue per store was $26.1 million, more than 3 times less than Wegmans revenue per store.

Trust me, the Wegman family know what they are doing, slow and steady, slow and steady!
I think this post from the Raleigh thread is a pretty accurate description:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
I've never understood the big deal over Publix. I've been to a number of them in various parts of Florida, and I get that people like their subs and cakes and customer service ... but otherwise it strikes me as just another grocery store. There's not a whole lot that sets it apart. (boy, I'm gonna get flamed for that!)

Wegmans is on a different level. It's like taking a Harris Teeter, doubling it in size, add a mini Whole Foods in the middle, a small CVS on the side, increase the size and scope of the bakery, deli, wine section, coffee bar, hot bar, etc., and greatly improve the quality of the prepared foods.
While I like Publix, they don't really do any one thing spectacularly (okay, maybe the bakery), it's more so that they are one of the only chains that are able to do many things pretty well - clean, good customer service, good fresh foods, not exorbitant prices. But the fact that they are able to do that at the large majority of their 1,000+ stores is very impressive.

Wegmans is almost helped by the fact that they don't have a lot of stores, as people will travel to them (and most of them are already in densely populated areas to begin with). But they really are over the top almost with everything that is in there - although in the few times I've been to one I have found the layout a bit odd. The fresh foods are very good, although those can be pricey. Their grocery prices tend to be good though - it will be interesting to see if they are any higher in NC than their other stores, as grocery prices do seem to be higher overall down here.

Last edited by GoPhils; 01-20-2016 at 01:41 AM..

Old 01-20-2016, 07:06 AM

It is difficult to think of anything extraordinary that Publix does because it does everything right in its stores and through its team members.

Wegman's is a step above other supermarket chains. It will be interesting to see how it handles North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or