U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 11:58 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,346,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
New Ingle's stores currently under construction are approximately 72,000 square feet. I would not expect Ingle's to go larger than that at the time being.

Wegman's, which is yet to make its North Carolina entry official, may be looking at store sites in Mecklenburg County. Its stores are 80,000 to 120,000 square feet.

Most new Harris Teeter stores are approximately 53,000 square feet. It remains to be seen if Kroger would like to try out its Marketplace hypermarket stores under the Harris Teeter banner, or open Kroger Marketplace stores through its Mid-Atlantic Division.
The new Harris Teeter near Pinehurst, NC is 78,200 square feet and their largest store to date. Perhaps now with Kroger backing they are considering building more larger sized stores. But could be Wegman's is indeed looking at Charlotte as well as Raleigh for future expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 01:58 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,382,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
New Ingle's stores currently under construction are approximately 72,000 square feet. I would not expect Ingle's to go larger than that at the time being.

Wegman's, which is yet to make its North Carolina entry official, may be looking at store sites in Mecklenburg County. Its stores are 80,000 to 120,000 square feet.

Most new Harris Teeter stores are approximately 53,000 square feet. It remains to be seen if Kroger would like to try out its Marketplace hypermarket stores under the Harris Teeter banner, or open Kroger Marketplace stores through its Mid-Atlantic Division.

The proposed development in the Village of Marvin had a 120,000sq ft Harris Teeter, which could have been the first "Harris Teeter Marketplace".

Old 01-21-2016, 08:01 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,922,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
True, but Ingles has built 80 - 120K sq ft. If they found a plot of land they could do it. More than likely this is a Wegmans, but there other possibilities.
Ingle's needs to decide for itself if it wants to further expand in Gaston County and expand into Mecklenburg County.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The new Harris Teeter near Pinehurst, NC is 78,200 square feet and their largest store to date. Perhaps now with Kroger backing they are considering building more larger sized stores. But could be Wegman's is indeed looking at Charlotte as well as Raleigh for future expansion.
Harris Teeter has more opportunities and resources through Kroger for additional and larger stores.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
The proposed development in the Village of Marvin had a 120,000sq ft Harris Teeter, which could have been the first "Harris Teeter Marketplace".
A Harris Teeter Marketplace store is possible if the Harris Teeter division of Kroger would like to try out hypermarket stores.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:59 PM
NDL

3,188 posts, read 3,645,980 times
What's the draw to Wegmanns?

I remember frequenting Wegmanns, when they came to Manalapan (NJ). Remember the upscale appearance, but not much else.

I'm fairly new to Publix, which I see as a Trader Joes, but much larger. I love their basic staple items (bread, eggs, nuts, milk), which are high quality yet reasonably priced.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:13 PM

Wegman's is a popular upscale supermarket based in New York known for its fresh foods and pharmacy.

Publix, a supermarket, and Trader Joe's, a specialty grocer, are in separate food retailing segments.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:05 AM

5,276 posts, read 3,316,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

I remember frequenting Wegmanns, when they came to Manalapan (NJ). Remember the upscale appearance, but not much else.

I'm fairly new to Publix, which I see as a Trader Joes, but much larger. I love their basic staple items (bread, eggs, nuts, milk), which are high quality yet reasonably priced.
25 Reasons Wegmans Is The Greatest Supermarket The World Will Ever Know

Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 PM

21,968 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

There aren't many MidAtlantic items that you can't get here in supermarkets. I would look at Wegmans as a source for those, just as Publix is a source of Caribbean items.

Just my opinion, but it think that Wegmans & Publix will provide different things for different audiences. Hopefully, Wegmans will sell frying peppers at a decent price as well as some other items that just aren't here. I've grown frying peppers & shared them with locals along with directions for making peppers & onions.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:04 AM

601 posts, read 791,951 times
This is tentative, but it looks like there's a development being proposed next to the University City Boulevard Station, and the master plan calls for a 50k grocery:

Research & Downloads

Hopefully UC finally gets a Publix. Being next to the light rail station should give it plenty of foot traffic, not to mention the college students in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or