Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 02:03 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,349,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Keep in mind that we have an 85K sq ft Ingles in Kings Mountain. It seems to me that the Ingles family studied Pathmark (before A&P) ShopRite, & Meijer before opening the big stores. I see a bit of each chain in their setup.

Ingles is the only place that I can get broccoli rabe at a reasonable price. It's $1 less than Teeter. Wow Supermarket is the only place that I can get cubanelle peppers aka frying peppers, that I know of, at a decent price, or at all.
I wish Meijer would expand in the Southeast. I always stop there when passing through Kentucky or Ohio. They are nicer than Walmart and better overall food quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:17 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I wish Meijer would expand in the Southeast. I always stop there when passing through Kentucky or Ohio. They are nicer than Walmart and better overall food quality.
When I was a kid, in Michigan, we lived near store #2 of the chain. It was bi-level with an assortment of non food items in the lower floor. After a few years it was spun off as two conjoined stores, Meijer & Thrifty Acres. Some years later, after my family moved to South Jersey, they were combined into hypermarkets.

My suspicion of the stores that Bob Ingle studied is based on some of the products that Ingles carries. The current store set ups are based on Publix, but the original set ups were a weird take on the 3 chains that I mentioned.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:07 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Exec Shakeups Roil

Interesting article regarding Lidl and the departures of the CEO's from both The Fresh Market and Southeastern Grocers (Winn Dixie & Bi-Lo).

Old 06-22-2017, 06:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
The announced departures of Southeastern Grcoers and The Fresh Market's executives are not surprising. Both the supermarket conglomerate and the specialty gourmet grocer have made decisions that have resulted in stores closing and markets departed.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:06 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
The classical music in a Fresh Market makes me leave feeling sad every single time. Even the remodeled stores feel sad. Foot traffic is so low the employees are almost shocked they are talking to a human being. The prices are also very high (usually more than Whole Foods), but they are not as clear on animal welfare ratings as a Whole Foods, nor carry as many organics. Often they are selling the same non-organic / non specialty items as the major stores for 30% more. Case in point, they use Dietz & Watson for the deli and the prices are significantly higher than getting Boar's Head meat from the deli at Harris Teeter or Publix. They have Smithfield pork loins for three times the price as the other stores and it isn't an Animal Welfare rated pork loin like Whole Foods.

I will say, Fresh Market has the BEST bakery creme brulee. They torch it at the order and it is on point.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
I like listening to classical music at The Fresh Market.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:19 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I like listening to classical music at The Fresh Market.
I'm sure some people do. For me it isn't very relaxing, nor happy. Many of the pieces have so much emotion and you are supposed to feel happy, sad, joy, excitement, tragedy, etc... throughout the piece. Walking in to run an errand after a rough day at work and having the tragic portion of a classic piece on the speakers while the employee stares at your awkwardly while you try to make polite conversation is not my idea of a good errand after work.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:24 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,957,550 times
A Publix is being built in Harrisburg. Here's an article with some of the stores that will also be in shopping center.

Four new tenants announced for Harrisburg Publix shopping center | News | independenttribune.com

Old 06-22-2017, 06:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
A Publix is being built in Harrisburg. Here's an article with some of the stores that will also be in shopping center.

Four new tenants announced for Harrisburg Publix shopping center | News | independenttribune.com
Thanks.

Just an FYI. . .There's a thread on the Greenville/Spartanburg board concerning the openings of a Lidl in each of those cities. It sounds like the bread is a big hit.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:19 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times
The stores where we shop the most in order are:
Harris Teeter
Bi-Lo
Food Lion - Publix tied
So we'd hate to lose the top two.
Kroger owns Harris Teeter and at some point we would not be surprised to see them make changes to the Harris teeter stores in some way. Their sales and promotions keep us going back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte