U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 07:09 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,310,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
A new retailer entering a market is a legitimate news story. Impact to other retailers is a second news story. WBTV said that Indian Land was the first Lidl in the Charlotte market. It was the first in the MSA. Shelby is in the CSA & is in the Charlotte retail & broadcast markets. That opening should have had equal billing. Natives west of Charlotte resent stations deliberately giving a bad impression of the towns by not covering good news there. I'm aware of some attempts by WBTV to inject themselves into the fabric of life west of Charlotte. They were not involved with groceries, so I'm not detailing those in this thread. I've worked with a number of reporters who've gone to the networks. Some things are SOP. They should not have had an interview with a Walmart manager in the Lidl opening story. Just read some data about prices being forced down after a tape package of store openings.

The feel-good girl was in Shelby. She should have been sent to cover the other Lidl opening, then run that package from the interview today.
The feel-good girl was back in Shelby today covering the Cleveland County Fair ... But back to supermarkets, this week Publix has their store brand ice cream on sale for 2 for $6, or $3.00 each. Very good price for full size container, and their Publix ice cream is very good. I got the Cookies and Cream and the Chocolate Moose Tracks. That should hold me over for the next month or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 08:44 PM

21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The feel-good girl was back in Shelby today covering the Cleveland County Fair ... But back to supermarkets, this week Publix has their store brand ice cream on sale for 2 for $6, or $3.00 each. Very good price for full size container, and their Publix ice cream is very good. I got the Cookies and Cream and the Chocolate Moose Tracks. That should hold me over for the next month or so.
LOL, I was talking with a couple of women at Ingles & they were not happy that WBTV chose to ignore the Shelby Lidl opening. In both cases they then said that they assumed that the station didn't want to send somebody out to cover it. I pointed out that they had someone out there to do a feel-good story. Both of them thanked me & said that they planned to bring that up to some people. Who knows? Maybe the station got some complaints. Why else would they send her back out to Shelby if they didn't get blowback.

I'm going to Lidl tomorrow in Gastonia. I just wasn't in the mood for a madhouse today. I did the grand-reopening of the Aldi. One madhouse in a year was enough for me.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:15 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
$3.00 is extremely expensive for ice cream bought in a supermarket.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:45 AM

409 posts, read 988,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
$3.00 is extremely expensive for ice cream bought in a supermarket.
$3 is a great price for a full half gallon of very good ice cream.

On the other point, I'm not seeing how the choice of which Lidl opening to cover reflects any bias toward an area, when you consider that:

The Indian Land store is 28 minutes drive time from WBTV, and the population within 10 miles of it is just under 260,000

The Shelby store is 46 minutes drive from WBTV, and population within 10 miles is slightly over 80,000

Seems like an easy and logical choice to cover the store that is closest, and which has more than 3X the people in the market.

This is a very cool website FYI. https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm

Old 09-29-2017, 12:00 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
I didn't know Publix sells half gallon ice cream. Most places are 48oz. Are we talking about the same size?

A standard 48oz container I usually get for around $2 because I'll buy on sale with coupons.....

Surprisingly I'll get that super deal at Harris teeter when they have 'buy 2 get 3 free' on their Turkey Hill brand...

Also, Walmart's ice cream checks out around $2/tub....not as fond as the Turkey Hill, but the kids dont really care.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post

On the other point, I'm not seeing how the choice of which Lidl opening to cover reflects any bias toward an area, when you consider that:

The Indian Land store is 28 minutes drive time from WBTV, and the population within 10 miles of it is just under 260,000

The Shelby store is 46 minutes drive from WBTV, and population within 10 miles is slightly over 80,000

Seems like an easy and logical choice to cover the store that is closest, and which has more than 3X the people in the market.

This is a very cool website FYI. https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm
The thing is that they had a "reporter" in Shelby. She could have covered the Shelby Lidl opening & done her interview. Reporters frequently cover multiple stories in one day. They could have covered both. Covering the Shelby opening would have meant more to people west of Charlotte, who feel ignored unless there's crime, preferably a violent crime.

The reality is that if the people west of Charlotte get annoyed enough to lodge a complaint with the FCC, the stations will be forced to give equal treatment to all of their viewing area. I've seen that before, elsewhere.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:02 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,198,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, I was talking with a couple of women at Ingles & they were not happy that WBTV chose to ignore the Shelby Lidl opening. In both cases they then said that they assumed that the station didn't want to send somebody out to cover it. I pointed out that they had someone out there to do a feel-good story. Both of them thanked me & said that they planned to bring that up to some people. Who knows? Maybe the station got some complaints. Why else would they send her back out to Shelby if they didn't get blowback.

I'm going to Lidl tomorrow in Gastonia. I just wasn't in the mood for a madhouse today. I did the grand-reopening of the Aldi. One madhouse in a year was enough for me.
"Feel good girl's" name is Kristin Hampton. I can't see her covering the opening of yet another grocery store in the area or the fact that Walmart lowered their egg prices. Neither of those give you the warm and fuzzies.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
"Feel good girl's" name is Kristin Hampton. I can't see her covering the opening of yet another grocery store in the area or the fact that Walmart lowered their egg prices. Neither of those give you the warm and fuzzies.
Shelby lost a lot of retail with the mill closures in the area. They've been fighting to replace it. A new grocery store opening in Shelby IS a feel good story for that community.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:18 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Did you make it to Lidl today, southbound (or anyone)?

Old 09-29-2017, 08:20 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,370,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I didn't know Publix sells half gallon ice cream. Most places are 48oz. Are we talking about the same size?

A standard 48oz container I usually get for around $2 because I'll buy on sale with coupons.....

Surprisingly I'll get that super deal at Harris teeter when they have 'buy 2 get 3 free' on their Turkey Hill brand...

Also, Walmart's ice cream checks out around $2/tub....not as fond as the Turkey Hill, but the kids dont really care.
Publix brand is a full half gallon and every flavor is good. YMMV but their sales usually include their specialty limited time flavors, premium flavors, and Greenwise organic flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or