Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 06:36 AM

743 posts, read 825,242 times

Advertisements

My bad it Fred Meyer Kroger's own not Meijer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 08:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Meijer is a division of Kroger. Kroger's also has a similar format & I believe they are putting some in Atlanta & around Virginia Beach
Quote:
Kroger is competing against Walmart's Supercenter stores in the hypermarket segment with Marketplace stores. Kroger banners Dillon's, Fry's, King Soopers and Smith's have Marketplace stores.

I am unaware of any Kroger Marketplace stores in North Carolina. The first Kroger Marketplace store in South Carolina, store 678, is now under construction in Columbia at Killian's Crossing. Four additional Kroger Marketplace stores are planned or rumored statewide. (Kroger's North Carolina stores operate in the Mid-Atlantic Division based in Roanoke, Virginia. Kroger's South Carolina stores operate in the Atlanta Division based in Atlanta, Georgia.)

I recall reading somewhere Harris Teeter Marketplace stores were a possibility. If Harris Teeter wants to focus on being an upscale traditional supermarket, then Kroger can infill across the Carolinas with Kroger Marketplace stores in markets they see fit.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Yes, Kroger owns Fred Meyer stores. Meijer stores are independently owned and operated. I would like to see Meijer expand south down I-75 to Knoxville, Georgia, and the Carolinas.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:36 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Meijer is family owned.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Kroger is competing against Walmart's Supercenter stores in the hypermarket segment with Marketplace stores. Kroger banners Dillon's, Fry's, King Soopers and Smith's have Marketplace stores.

I am unaware of any Kroger Marketplace stores in North Carolina. The first Kroger Marketplace store in South Carolina, store 678, is now under construction in Columbia at Killian's Crossing. Four additional Kroger Marketplace stores are planned or rumored statewide. (Kroger's North Carolina stores operate in the Mid-Atlantic Division based in Roanoke, Virginia. Kroger's South Carolina stores operate in the Atlanta Division based in Atlanta, Georgia.)

I recall reading somewhere Harris Teeter Marketplace stores were a possibility. If Harris Teeter wants to focus on being an upscale traditional supermarket, then Kroger can infill across the Carolinas with Kroger Marketplace stores in markets they see fit.
A developer had proposed building the first "Harris Teeter Marketplace" store in Marvin, but the village council rejected the plan.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
A developer had proposed building the first "Harris Teeter Marketplace" store in Marvin, but the village council rejected the plan.
How long ago was this proposed? Where in Marvin would it have located?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 PM

166 posts, read 186,061 times
Wow it's like reading in another language! I never head of these places!! Ahold Delhaize Lidl's Bi-Lo Ingles etc

Old 08-12-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmtrees View Post
Wow it's like reading in another language! I never head of these places!! Ahold Delhaize Lidl's Bi-Lo Ingles etc
Ahold Delhaize will be the name of combined grocers Ahold (Giant Food of Maryland, Giant Food Stores, Martin's, and Stop and Shop) and Delhaize (Food Lion and Hannaford) if the merger is approved. Food Lion is based in Salisbury.

Bi-Lo is a banner of Southeastern Grocers, which also operates Winn Dixie and Harvey's. The banner operates in Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

Ingle's Markets is a regional chain operating 202 stores, specifically 193 Ingle's and nine Sav-Mor stores, in six southeastern United States (Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia). It is based in Black Mountain.

Harris Teeter is a subsidiary of the Kroger Company with stores in seven states (Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia) and the District of Columbia. It is based in Matthews.

Publix, based in Lakeland, Florida, operates 1,103 stores in six southeastern states (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee). It established its fifth division, the Charlotte Division, in 2013.

Lidl and Aldi are discount grocers. Earth Fare, The Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods Markets are specialty/gourmet grocers.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:32 PM

166 posts, read 186,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Ahold Delhaize will be the name of combined grocers Ahold (Giant Food of Maryland, Giant Food Stores, Martin's, and Stop and Shop) and Delhaize (Food Lion and Hannaford) if the merger is approved. Food Lion is based in Salisbury.

Bi-Lo is a banner of Southeastern Grocers, which also operates Winn Dixie and Harvey's. The banner operates in Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

Ingle's Markets is a regional chain operating 202 stores, specifically 193 Ingle's and nine Sav-Mor stores, in six southeastern United States (Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia). It is based in Black Mountain.

Harris Teeter is a subsidiary of the Kroger Company with stores in seven states (Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia) and the District of Columbia. It is based in Matthews.

Publix, based in Lakeland, Florida, operates 1,103 stores in six southeastern states (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee). It established its fifth division, the Charlotte Division, in 2013.

Lidl and Aldi are discount grocers. Earth Fare, The Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods Markets are specialty/gourmet grocers.
Are there any Sprouts or anything similar? Other than Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, which are overpriced and not as good and more commercial.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmtrees View Post
Are there any Sprouts or anything similar? Other than Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, which are overpriced and not as good and more commercial.
Sprouts has not expanded to North Carolina yet. The Fresh Market and Earth Fare would be the only other options in specialty/gourmet grocers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte