Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2016, 03:44 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
And now the former CEO of Food Lion is running The Fresh Market. His plan seems to be turning the upscale, specialty grocer into Food Lion by taking away the low lighting, the wicker-basket-style displays and orchestra music, and adding more metal shelving "aisles" filled with all sorts of 'everyday items' like sugary cereals, diapers, pet food and toilet paper. The "rebranding" in the NC stores will soon spread out to the entire chain. The plan seems to be taking away everything about Fresh Market that makes it special and turning it into just another grocery store.
Yuck! I prefer Fresh Market for my specialty items and freshly made foods- when I go it is rarely ever crowded....unlike Whole Foods and Trader Joe's which can get hectic at times. I don't like Food Lion at all. I rather go to Walmart Neighborhood Market or Publix for my staples. Hopefully these changes won't happen to quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 11:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
A grocery store could be locating near Berewick on Steele Creek Road at Dixie River Road in a 25-acre mixed use development dubbed "Steele Creek Crossing." This is another Steele Creek Crossing retail center at South Tryon Street and Steele Creek Road.

Further reading
Portillo, Ely. "New mixed-use development proposed for Steele Creek." The Charlotte Observer. 2016-12-06.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:53 AM

601 posts, read 964,071 times
Well, this is big. Amazon has plans for opening over 2,000 grocery stores. They're also experimenting with a smaller style store called "Go", which will be completely automated. I like to guess that at least a couple of these stores will open in the Charlotte market.

Amazon Working on Several Grocery-Store Formats, Could Open More Than 2,000 Locations

For comparison, Kroger has around 2800 stores, with the vast majority located in the South. Walmart's Neighborhood Market stores have roughly over 600 stores in the U.S. With the combination of being able to integrate online ordering with a traditional brick and mortar store, this could be quite disruptive to the grocery store market.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:09 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,476,920 times
Amazon might want to rethink having a fully automated store with no cashiers or self checkout machines.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:15 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,476,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
For comparison, Kroger has around 2800 stores, with the vast majority located in the South. ¹Walmart's Neighborhood Market stores have roughly over 600 stores in the U.S. With the combination of being able to integrate online ordering with a traditional brick and mortar store, this could be quite disruptive to the grocery store market.
You mean South and Midwest.¹

Other companies are adapting to the online shopping model. Outside of NC, Kroger has already Harris Teeter's click and collect program.I believe Walmart has its own online click and collect program as well.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:36 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
You mean South and Midwest.¹

Other companies are adapting to the online shopping model. Outside of NC, Kroger has already Harris Teeter's click and collect program.I believe Walmart has its own online click and collect program as well.

The Amazon store eliminates the "click" part though. If it works, it could definitely be very disruptive but I imagine it will take them awhile to work out the kinks (and their rollout plan was a long-term one anyway).

Old 12-07-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
For comparison, Kroger has around 2800 stores, with the vast majority located in the South. Walmart's Neighborhood Market stores have roughly over 600 stores in the U.S. With the combination of being able to integrate online ordering with a traditional brick and mortar store, this could be quite disruptive to the grocery store market.
Kroger, including Harris Teeter, does have stores across the southern and eastern United States. It does not have much presence in Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida. It can utilize Harris Teeter to increase store count in the Carolinas, but acquiring another supermarket participant with dominance in the western Carolinas and/or expanding Kroger Marketplace hypermarket stores will help enter markets, increase market share, and increase store count.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
The Amazon store eliminates the "click" part though. If it works, it could definitely be very disruptive but I imagine it will take them awhile to work out the kinks (and their rollout plan was a long-term one anyway).
Despite advancements in online shopping, delivery, pickup, and technological advances, most customers continue to shop at physical grocery stores.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Despite advancements in online shopping, delivery, pickup, and technological advances, most customers continue to shop at physical grocery stores.
The Amazon store is a physical grocery store where you don't need to checkout. If they get the technology figured out, it will at the very least have a big impact on convenience stores. Depending on pricing and assortment then it could likely have a big impact on grocery stores as well.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:05 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,237 times
Wasn't it Food Lion who tried it with Bloom. Hope Amazon has a better plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte