Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 03:44 PM

280 posts, read 740,990 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Charlotte next summer for a job in Ballantyne. We like the area a lot and are thinking of buying a house in either Ballantyne or Waxhaw. We like both areas based on our brief visit.
I have been told schools in that area are very good .I was wondering how their schools compare to Wake county schools. I am hoping they are similar in what they offer.We have 2 elementary school aged kids and schools are a very important factor in deciding where we buy. if anyone can share information about about the schools - the good and the challenges it would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,709 times
Hello,
Like yourself, I am thinking about moving to Charlottte and have to look for a school system. What did you find out about the school systems you were looking into?

Thanks for sharing

Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 AM

430 posts, read 803,972 times
Union County has some excellent schools. Waxhaw is a big area if you include incorporated and non-incorporated. Basically, most of the schools in the western area of Union County are excellent (not bashing the other side, just don't know anything about them so cannot comment), but Parkwood Middle and High Schools are the exception. I recommend staying away from those districts, which the last I knew were south of the train tracks or pretty close to them. You really cannot go wrong with Marvin, Weddington, Sandy Ridge, Kensington, New Town Elementary schools. Might be missing one or two.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
LL,
Why would you recommend staying away from Parkwood High and Middle. I'm curious to see if you actually have some factual evidence of them being substandard for a school in Union County.

Is the courseware offered at Parkwood different than other schools in Union County?
Do their students that move to high education have a much lower success rate than other schools in your choosen area?
Is the scholarship dollar total per student less at Parkwood than other Union County High schools?
Is crime higher in the Parkwood district than other districts in Union County?
Are the degree requirements of certified personnel less at Parkwood?

Is this just your personal feeling about Parkwood or is there actually something based in fact?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:29 AM

430 posts, read 803,972 times
I don't recall saying substandard, just not excellent. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I feel like I've offended you as well due to your tone, and I apologize for that as well. I was just trying to help. I'm happy to take this off line if you'd like to discuss it. I have no desire to get into an argument on a public forum. Just trying to answer the question and be helpful, which apparently I was not for you.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:23 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
No biggie!

You just said to stay away from that district. I thought you'd have some reasons you could share.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 AM

531 posts, read 1,079,144 times
Living in Ballantyne is different than in Waxhaw. Almost everything is close by in Ballantyne - groceries to car wash. Not many new homes being built over there. My assumption is that you will get more for your money if you live in Waxhaw/Marvin - variables considered being sqft and construction year. Moreover, Waxhaw is kind of spread out ( woods/stables here and there etc) where as Ballantyne is not. To me ballantyne living is more of urban living but some people may differ in opinion.

What is your budget for the house? That will help us tell you more.

I would suggest you come over here and stay in one of the Ballantyne apartments- Camden in ballantyne is good. There are others as well that are rated good. Staying in an apt/town home for 1- 3 months will give you a feel to select a certain location - Waxhaw/Marvin vs Ballantyne.

You might want to check Providence as well, since some of areas come under providence/Elizabeth schools, which are rated pretty high.

Waxhaw: Marvin elem and Sandy Ridge are rated excellent; Culbreth comes next in that area.
Ballantyne: End haven is decent; British Ameircan is a private school and its excellent; Hawk Ridge elementary.

I have experienced Sandy Ridge and Endhaven; both seem to be good. At the end of the day, I think it depends on the teacher that matters most

Last edited by feng21; 11-25-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Also keep in mind the enormous tax difference between living in Charlotte/Mecklenburg (Ballantyne) versus Union County. If you prefer Union County, there's also a tax advantage to staying outside "incorporated" Waxhaw which, as posted above, is much smaller than the Waxhaw postal area. In Western Union County, your home address doesn't always match the area in which you live.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies.
We ae looking for a house that would cost less than 300K - atleast 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. We were in Charlotte last weekend looking at a few homes with a realtor. We looked at the Pulte Town homes at Ardrey Kell, resales at Stone Creek, Cureton and Hunter Oaks in Waxhaw. We liked both the areas but not any of the houses we saw.We saw single lane roads as we got out of Ballantyne and towards Waxhaw. I am guessing the commute to Ballantyne during rush hours would be another factor to consider Renting for a year seems to be a good idea.

Livinglavidaloca12 - I have just started the research so havent really gotten much info except that the elementary schools inboth areas are good. I need more info about the AG program the schools offer and how the implement it I plan on calling the schools and speaking to the AG coordinator.Will DM you as I get more information.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
Union County has some excellent schools. Waxhaw is a big area if you include incorporated and non-incorporated. Basically, most of the schools in the western area of Union County are excellent (not bashing the other side, just don't know anything about them so cannot comment), but Parkwood Middle and High Schools are the exception. I recommend staying away from those districts, which the last I knew were south of the train tracks or pretty close to them. You really cannot go wrong with Marvin, Weddington, Sandy Ridge, Kensington, New Town Elementary schools. Might be missing one or two.
Thanks Laura. I still have to learn about incorparted/nonincorparated. Good to hear about the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte