U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:16 AM

95 posts, read 271,257 times

Advertisements

Answering CAROLINASGUY question about how old are my kids--There all in their middle to late 30's If they were taught in school on how to write a resume I am sure they forgot some of it by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 03:23 AM

Reply to JAKE RYAN
Many people have said the same thing to me about resumes not done profesionally dont always get looked at (especially nowdays)

Old 01-27-2008, 04:25 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,292,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lam0land View Post
Reply to JAKE RYAN
Many people have said the same thing to me about resumes not done profesionally dont always get looked at (especially nowdays)
And especially in Charlotte. I'd say it's almost a must to have it done professionally. I found out about the whole "buzzword" thing and personally I wouldn't go looking for a job in NC without having it professionally done.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:39 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,070,551 times
I've read the books on resume writing, and remember what they taught us in school and what winds up happening is that we all create a resume from that class or book and then never update it to a more modern style, we just keep adding to it.

My professionally done resume looks 100 times better that one out of any book that I've ever seen. This is your first impression so make it look great!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,207 times
Default response to resume writer

Have you tried to go to UNCC or Office Depot and ask for leads? I am sure
you would get a lot of them.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 PM

211 posts, read 907,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lam0land View Post
Does Anyone Know Of Someone Who Will Write Resumes??
Yes . . . please see my postings under Work / Employment. Otherwise, contact the Professional Association of Resume Writers (PARW). You can search for someone in your area.

I am a Certified Professional Resume Writer & Career Coach (yes, there are such things). However, I would like to offer one suggestion: Please do not make the mistake of doing the work for your son. If he is old enough to have a resume, he is old enough to be contacting / dealing with the writer himself.

This is not meant to be offensive or presumtuous, but I cannot tell you how many moms call to have a resume written for one of her children. Not good.

Good luck to you:-)

Old 01-28-2008, 11:01 PM

Hi I am not doing a resume for my son, He has been looking himself for places to help him write a good resume, I just thought I may be able to help him find one.
He never had to write a resume before, just fill out applications. Thing have changed so now, that everyone wants a resume. Today he found one that will write for him(forgot the name), and also the unemployment office will help him do one. We will see what happens, I defenetly will keep you in mind. By the way in what area are you in?? we are in cornelius.
Also I have another question--I know you can go on the computer and setup a resume on monster.com and some others- Do you think they work pretty good??

Old 01-29-2008, 07:12 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,602,900 times
Please do not have your son post his resume on the job board as he will get spammed. You can create the resume there, but don't make it viewable by employers. Chances are, you will get everyone in Nigeria asking you to money launder for them! It is better to have control of who gets your resume so if your son sets up an alert on the job boards that will e-mail him postings that meet his criteria, then he could choose to apply or not.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,676,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Please do not have your son post his resume on the job board as he will get spammed. You can create the resume there, but don't make it viewable by employers. Chances are, you will get everyone in Nigeria asking you to money launder for them! It is better to have control of who gets your resume so if your son sets up an alert on the job boards that will e-mail him postings that meet his criteria, then he could choose to apply or not.
I disagree with this. This is often how people find you. Yes you will get spam, but this is your job, very important, a bit of spam you can filter through and see whats real. When I last refreshed my resume I got 3 legitamate (sp) calls and a d a few e-mails, along with 10 "spam". I highly recommend creating a special e-mail address for your resume, something profressional. Not Bigbearhunter10 or anything and with Yahoo, MSN, Gmail, Mail, etc, I think you have enough options to put something good out there. This will also help you filter the spam.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:23 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,602,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
I disagree with this. This is often how people find you. Yes you will get spam, but this is your job, very important, a bit of spam you can filter through and see whats real. When I last refreshed my resume I got 3 legitamate (sp) calls and a d a few e-mails, along with 10 "spam". I highly recommend creating a special e-mail address for your resume, something profressional. Not Bigbearhunter10 or anything and with Yahoo, MSN, Gmail, Mail, etc, I think you have enough options to put something good out there. This will also help you filter the spam.
It's a great suggestion to create a special e-mail to direct employers. I think how effective this is depends on your field. It did not work for me in the sense that the e-mails I got from here have no relation whatsoever to my criteria when I posted that resume. So instead of finance jobs with 10+ years experience requiring $$$ as salary, I got e-mails from work at home solicitors, data entry employers, entry level positions...all of which bypassed my selection criteria. Did not work for me, glad it did for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte