U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:22 PM

95 posts, read 270,848 times

Advertisements

Does Anyone Know Of Someone Who Will Write Resumes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 06:34 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,670,326 times
Do you mean critique resumes? How do you expect to get a job if you don't even know how to write a resume? There are plenty of resources at the library or online to help you write it yourself. If you're not motivated enough to write your own resume, how can you be motivated to find a job? Sorry for sounding harsh, but you will serve yourself well by doing it yourself and then have someone review and edit for you. I'd be willing to do that for free.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:49 PM

616 posts, read 1,565,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lam0land View Post
Does Anyone Know Of Someone Who Will Write Resumes??
You can Google "resume writers Charlotte" and get a number of hits. Also, look at craigslist - charlotte writing/editing/translation classifieds - craigslist. There are also a goodly number of web sites that offer advice and coaching, insight into resume structure, dos and don'ts of resume writing, and some even offer guidelines to writing a cover letter.

A good resume writer will interview you, should know, and be able to express, the difference between talents, skills, and strengths.

Good luck!

P.S. Use Title Case Only When Writing a Title :-)

Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Do you mean critique resumes? How do you expect to get a job if you don't even know how to write a resume? There are plenty of resources at the library or online to help you write it yourself. If you're not motivated enough to write your own resume, how can you be motivated to find a job? Sorry for sounding harsh, but you will serve yourself well by doing it yourself and then have someone review and edit for you. I'd be willing to do that for free.
I understand your point, but some people are better writers than others. And I for one hate writing a resume and have used others before. Alas, I negotiate and write 40 page contracts, but for some reason, when its not about law, my brain doesn't like to produce. Anywho...

Craigs list is a good resource, but also, check the colleges who have people good at this. I think the CC would be my first check.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 PM

95 posts, read 270,848 times
Smile I know how to

the resume wasn't for me,I know how to write a resume-- Ive been there, done that. Now its time for my kids to do it He'd never get a job if he did it himself--neither of us are good writers
anyway he's going to go to someone in the unemployment office.
thanks anyway

Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,670,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lam0land View Post
the resume wasn't for me,I know how to write a resume-- Ive been there, done that. Now its time for my kids to do it He'd never get a job if he did it himself--neither of us are good writers
anyway he's going to go to someone in the unemployment office.
thanks anyway
I was going to come back to this thread after reading Whytewulf's post and clarify if I misinterpreted your post, but I'll think I'll stand by my point after reading your follow up.

You asked if there was someone who "will write" the resume. To me that means no initiative. I'm all for coaching, instruction etc., after all, people have to start somewhere if they have no formal education above high school. (As a side note, do they not teach technical writing or how to write resumes these days in high school?). But for someone to write it for you just seems lazy.

I'm glad your son is getting help at the unemployment, but hopefully they will teach him how to fish and not just feed him.

By the way, how old are your children?

Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,559,055 times
lam0land - I tried to send you a DM but your profile does not enable you to receive DM's. If you read this, could you enable it so I could contact you?

Old 01-24-2008, 04:51 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Default This may be some help

If you have access to MS office, there are templates to follow that can greatly assist in writing a resume.

Just thought I would mention this as it would give your sons something to follow - and they can more or less "fill in the blanks."

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 PM

11 posts, read 29,960 times
Hi, you can get an inexpensive software cd called "Resume Writer". You give it information and it completes the layout you preselected. I have the software and it's been very helpful. I also have searched Google for free resumes and just fine tuned some to fit me. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:41 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,057,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I was going to come back to this thread after reading Whytewulf's post and clarify if I misinterpreted your post, but I'll think I'll stand by my point after reading your follow up.

You asked if there was someone who "will write" the resume. To me that means no initiative. I'm all for coaching, instruction etc., after all, people have to start somewhere if they have no formal education above high school. (As a side note, do they not teach technical writing or how to write resumes these days in high school?). But for someone to write it for you just seems lazy.

I'm glad your son is getting help at the unemployment, but hopefully they will teach him how to fish and not just feed him.

By the way, how old are your children?
I have to disagree, respectfully of course In today's competitive job market a professional resume writer can give you the "edge" you need to get you in front of a hiring manager. Most large companies tend not to even read resumes anymore, but instead put them through scanning programs who kick them to real people when they have certain buzzwords. I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

There used to be a place in Charlotte called CPRresume's. The lady there did a great job on my resume and it helped me land a position
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte