U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:12 PM

343 posts, read 575,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
No, you're not wrong. But you do have unrealistic expectations.
Unrealistic expectations? Building a entrance on the sidewalk side of a building to attract a higher walkable score is unrealistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Mint Hill isn't Asheville. Its a suburban community. They instituted a downtown overlay district. It isn't designed to create an old time downtown district, its designed to create a "downtown for a newish, suburban town. I can understand that you would like something else. perhaps you should run for town council or Mayor.
Mint Hill is a town, yes a suburb of Charlotte, but it's own town. And yes they wanted to build a walkable town in Mint Hill. Why do you think they built the sidewalks. Towns often look and model after other towns and cities to gain knowledge of what should or should not be done. Greenville and Asheville are what most small towns are trying to model after including Mint Hill. Why do you think there is a ordinance to build close to the street; to create that look. They needed one more step to get it.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:54 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,813,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
Unrealistic expectations? Building a entrance on the sidewalk side of a building to attract a higher walkable score is unrealistic?
No expecting a downtown from scratch in 2015 that looks like a downtown built in the pre-automobile era is unrealistic.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:56 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,813,182 times
Quote:
Mint Hill is a town, yes a suburb of Charlotte, but it's own town. And yes they wanted to build a walkable town in Mint Hill. Why do you think they built the sidewalks. Towns often look and model after other towns and cities to gain knowledge of what should or should not be done. Greenville and Asheville are what most small towns are trying to model after including Mint Hill. Why do you think there is a ordinance to build close to the street; to create that look. They needed one more step to get it.
Yeah, I got that. My point is that its a relatively new, almost entirely suburban town (as opposed to Greenville and Asheville that were founded in the 18th century), that is now trying to go back and create a central core. To expect that newly created core to look like it was built in 1900 isn't realistic.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 07-14-2015 at 03:08 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 03:01 PM

19,986 posts, read 18,947,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Don't think there's room for that by the HT/Publix...

OP, I noticed in the beginning of the video you said "this all is the same." I don't think that's entirely true as I'm pretty sure the sidewalk on the right hand side in the beginning of the video is relatively new and continues all the way throughout the video. I know that's not much but it's more than some other areas can say. I believe they were also working on (maybe even done now?) continuing it all the way into Matthews town limits.
The sidewalks on both sides are far enough from the road to accommodate future widening. It may be enough to get additional travel lanes in, but limited on bicycle lanes.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:28 PM

Default Bike Lanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The sidewalks on both sides are far enough from the road to accommodate future widening. It may be enough to get additional travel lanes in, but limited on bicycle lanes.
Have you ever been to Hilton Head? They have the best bike lanes I have ever seen. On the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska, believe it or not, have ones like that too. That was the first place I had ever seen Bike Lanes, or Bike Trails as they refer to them.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I got that. My point is that its a relatively new, almost entirely suburban town (as opposed to Greenville and Asheville that were founded in the 18th century), that is now trying to go back and create a central core. To expect that newly created core to look like it was built in 1900 isn't realistic.
I realize the buildings are not going to look like the old buildings, I'm referring where they face. Yes, it would be more expensive to build the architecture of the older building from 100 years ago but you can still make the front face the center of the town instead away from it. Older towns faced the street and sidewalks which gave a walkable feel to the town. Mint Hill built them facing outward away from the sidewalk, I said nothing about the architecture of the buildings.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Speaking of, Mint Hill did have some old buildings that should have been kept around, they destroyed what character they had just like the rest of Charlotte. That is why Asheville and Greenville are on the top places to live in America list because they were smart and kept the older buildings. Theres some left in Mint Hill and I think they learned to keep them around. I hope anyway.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:53 PM

5,888 posts, read 7,746,215 times
I'm surprised people are saying this is very common. As mentioned above I think Cornelius is one of the only places in the Charlotte area that really looks like this. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you will be able to get into the stores from the street side. It just looks like there's nothing there because there is nothing actually in the shops yet. I think I had read an article about why they did Catawba Ave in Cornelius like this saying that it was supposed to be the best way to cater to both walkability and driving. Speaking of which, OP, you keep harping on walkability in Mint Hill, yet your video was taken by car. Seems a bit contradictory...

Quote:
Speaking of, Mint Hill did have some old buildings that should have been kept around, they destroyed what character they had just like the rest of Charlotte. That is why Asheville and Greenville are on the top places to live in America list because they were smart and kept the older buildings. Theres some left in Mint Hill and I think they learned to keep them around. I hope anyway.
What buildings did Mint Hill destroy? I think they did a nice job with the Town Hall in particular, which IMO does look like it has character.

Sounds like you need to move to Davidson or something. You can get a condo/townhome there for about the price of a single-family home in Mint Hill, so may be worth looking into for ya.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'm surprised people are saying this is very common. As mentioned above I think Cornelius is one of the only places in the Charlotte area that really looks like this. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you will be able to get into the stores from the street side. It just looks like there's nothing there because there is nothing actually in the shops yet. I think I had read an article about why they did Catawba Ave in Cornelius like this saying that it was supposed to be the best way to cater to both walkability and driving. Speaking of which, OP, you keep harping on walkability in Mint Hill, yet your video was taken by car. Seems a bit contradictory...

What buildings did Mint Hill destroy? I think they did a nice job with the Town Hall in particular, which IMO does look like it has character.

Sounds like you need to move to Davidson or something. You can get a condo/townhome there for about the price of a single-family home in Mint Hill, so may be worth looking into for ya.
I am not talking about that area, I agree I thought they did a nice job over there. I'm talking about the new area they just built. What happened over there? See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Did they build the new shops in Mint Hill backwards?-img_0493.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or