Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 04:18 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDSmith56 View Post
Question - who was the 2nd weekend WCNC meteorologist? I've noticed recently that John Wendel is doing all of the weekend reports but there used to be a second gentleman doing reports. What happened to him? (although I'm glad to see him gone.)
You may be thinking about Jim Lytle. He is apparently also a minister and no longer regularly appears on WCNC. Previously he worked for WBTV and the local cable news channel, also reporting the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 04:38 AM

Just my opinion, but I think WCNC should modify some of the blue backdrop panels behind the main anchor desk. Just too much blue. The side areas around the big screen monitor look nice where the reporters do stand ups, however right behind the main desk it just seems too much blue. Perhaps either scenic backdrops or earthtone colors would be nicer. But otherwise the set appears nice and expansive, but just seems time for a touch up and tone down the blue. They have used the current set about 7 years so it does seem about time for an upgrade or refresh.

Meanwhile, WBTV has the newest and best looking set, about 3 years old come February. Although I think they should replace that black wall with some other design or color. Just too dark. Perhaps borrow a bit of the blue from WCNC?

And WSOC has a nice scenic backdrop set, now over 5 years old. But it seems a bit 1970's style and could use a modern refresh. Parent company Cox Media in recent years has modernized and upgraded the sets at sister stations WSB Atlanta and WFTV Orlando, so perhaps WSOC could eventually be next. But their budget appears a bit tighter than the Atlanta and Orlando stations, so time will tell.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:40 PM

WCNC has debuted new graphics package as part of national Tegna upgrade. More modern style.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:00 PM

WCNC has been granted a power increase by the FCC when the repack move to channel 24 occurs in Sept. 2019. Hopefully this may help with their null to the west as they increase to 1000kw full power, also known as 100,000 watts. The other main Charlotte channels currently broadcast at this full power limit, including WBTV, WJZY, WSOC, and WCCB, as well as WYFF in SC. But the concern remains WCNC will maintain a side mounted, directional antenna, whereas the other stations are more omnidirectional. But hopefully the power increase and a change to an elliptical pattern will help overcome reception issues and reduce the null to the west. Remains to be seen.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Apparently WBTV is back to full power 1000kw after a transmitter replacement. Their signal now appears stronger than before. I receive a full 10 bars strong signal here in GVL, SC, as well as WCNC and WJZY at 6 to 8 bars.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WCNC has been granted a power increase by the FCC when the repack move to channel 24 occurs in Sept. 2019. Hopefully this may help with their null to the west as they increase to 1000kw full power, also known as 100,000 watts. The other main Charlotte channels currently broadcast at this full power limit, including WBTV, WJZY, WSOC, and WCCB, as well as WYFF in SC. But the concern remains WCNC will maintain a side mounted, directional antenna, whereas the other stations are more omnidirectional. But hopefully the power increase and a change to an elliptical pattern will help overcome reception issues and reduce the null to the west. Remains to be seen.
CORRECTION: The full power signals at 1000kw is 1,000,000 watts power. Currently WCNC is 791kw, so it will be an increase to 1000kw.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:26 PM

Default Changes

It appears there has been some recent changes of on air talent at WCNC. Apparently blond morning anchor Carolyn Bruck has departed, and has been replaced by afternoon anchor Rachel Brown. Also weekend meteorologist John Wendell may be gone, as there are now some new weather folks forecasting on the weekends. And former weekend meteorologist Sarah Fortner has moved down the road to neighboring NBC affiliate WYFF-4 in Greenville SC.

Also WCNC recently added a new video monitor wall which is a nice impressive addition to their studio set.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:51 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
It appears there has been some recent changes of on air talent at WCNC. Apparently blond morning anchor Carolyn Bruck has departed, and has been replaced by afternoon anchor Rachel Brown. Also weekend meteorologist John Wendell may be gone, as there are now some new weather folks forecasting on the weekends. And former weekend meteorologist Sarah Fortner has moved down the road to neighboring NBC affiliate WYFF-4 in Greenville SC.

Also WCNC recently added a new video monitor wall which is a nice impressive addition to their studio set.
I've noticed John Wendel has been MIA. If he's gone, then I have no reason to watch this station on the weekends.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I've noticed John Wendel has been MIA. If he's gone, then I have no reason to watch this station on the weekends.
There is a new young guy reporting the weather on WCNC weekends in the morning so John Wendel may have indeed departed. Some of these changes at WCNC may be cost cutting moves by Tegna or salary related, but that would be speculation. But they have kept Brad Panovich as the chief meteorologist, and the new black lady seems to be doing a good job. But I liked Sarah Fortner, and viewers west of Gastonia can now view her on the SC station WYFF-4.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:53 AM

Also I think the news on WJZY FOX-46 continues to improve, and looks more like the other FOX owned stations. And they have a new weather forecaster Tara Lane who was previously on the cable news channel so it is nice to see her back again. hopefully she will stay a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte