Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 12:55 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times

Advertisements

Anchor changes continue at WCNC. In addition to new morning anchor Carolyn Bruck, this past week they have a new evening anchor, Beth Troutman, a native of Concord. She previously hosted the morning show on WCCB, and more recently a national video show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 01:28 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,177 times
Don't like the new lady in the morning, sorry she is horrible. The chemistry of the group is not the same.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:01 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Yeah, Charlotte news has taken a step backwards. I don't even use WCNC anymore. I rotate between local ABC and CBS in the mornings for local news.

The new morning anchor guy at WSOC looks and seems to plastic-y. Can't watch him. So I lean on WBTV more.

The problem at WBTV is that they've really gone "over the top" with their schmaltz and other crap (i.e. - the fru-fru lead-ins, "you're not gonna wanna miss this story", the stupid Alert Center (how idiotic), and yes we know Al Conklin is "Charlottes most experienced weatherman", etc.) rather than substance.

That being said, they are the best of the bunch...

Old 10-09-2015, 02:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Yeah, Charlotte news has taken a step backwards. I don't even use WCNC anymore. I rotate between local ABC and CBS in the mornings for local news.

The new morning anchor guy at WSOC looks and seems to plastic-y. Can't watch him. So I lean on WBTV more.

The problem at WBTV is that they've really gone "over the top" with their schmaltz and other crap (i.e. - the fru-fru lead-ins, "you're not gonna wanna miss this story", the stupid Alert Center (how idiotic), and yes we know Al Conklin is "Charlottes most experienced weatherman", etc.) rather than substance.

The morning choices are dismal, with the exception of Larry Sprinkle. That said, I usually opt for WSOC before 7, since I do like the weather crawl, & turn to 3 at 7 & deal with their cut-ins. If I have reception for WCNC for Larry's Halloween extravaganza, I'll put them on then.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:49 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
I think the WJZY morning program is the most watchable now. It's more of a entertainment show with special guests, cooking, etc. And since it's an O & O station, they have access to talent which the other stations don't.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I think the WJZY morning program is the most watchable now. It's more of a entertainment show with special guests, cooking, etc. And since it's an O & O station, they have access to talent which the other stations don't.
Yes they tend to bring in live national correspondents from the FOX News Channel.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

I agree the promotional hype at WBTV should be toned down a bit, but otherwise they have good news content and appealing anchors. I suppose they have hyped things up a bit to be more competitive with WSOC, which seems to thrive on that sort of thing, as well as sensationalized reporting.

As for WCNC, I think all of their newscasts now have a nice mix of anchors and good overall content. Their recent coverage from Columbia, SC floods has been good.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:16 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Looks like one of the weather forecasters from WSOC TV is in jail.

WSOC-TV meteorologist John Ahrens charged with assaulting wife | The Charlotte Observer

Old 10-26-2015, 11:00 AM

I think the new anchor team with Fred Shropshire and Beth Troutman is doing well for WCNC. And their Panthers NFL coverage was good last night, before and after the game. Although I think their weekend guy Russ Owen is the most overall appealing sportscaster.

Also WYFF-4 had a special Panthers pregame show and live reports from Charlotte. You would almost think the Panthers played in Greenville due to the extensive coverage and hype on this station.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Looks like one of the weather forecasters from WSOC TV is in jail.

WSOC-TV meteorologist John Ahrens charged with assaulting wife | The Charlotte Observer
WSOC reported it Saturday night.

I've been wondering what's going on with the musical chairs with the meteorologists for a while now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte