U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2017, 06:00 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,811 posts, read 27,068,128 times
Reputation: 8888

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
No Gordon Peterson and Maureen Bunyan were longtime lead anchors at WUSA channel 9 in DC until Gannett unceremoniously retired them. They were quickly hired over at WJLA channel 7.

Doreen Gentzler left WSOC and perhaps that is when she went to WCAU. But she soon became the longtime lead anchor at WRC in DC, the NBC-4 O&O station. I believe she is originally from Arlington, Va, so that allowed her to return to her hometown area. She was paired with Jim Vance.

Meg MacDonald and Debi Faubion succeeded Doreen Gentzler at WSOC as coanchors with Bill Walker.
Doreen went to WCAU from DC. I'm sure that Gordon & Maureen were at WRC, in the late 70s or early 80s because I watched them because Glenn Brenner & Andrea Mitchell had both joined the station. Glenn had been a weekend sports guy in Philadelphia & Andrea was on KYW news radio & was transitioning to TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2017, 08:11 PM
 
3,091 posts, read 4,112,385 times
Reputation: 2518
Maureen Bunyan got caught up in an ethics inquiry a couple of years ago, after which she left WUSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,428 posts, read 4,290,450 times
Reputation: 1379
Apparently NBC no longer requires the affiliates to air the special news reports. Because WYFF-4 is running the NBC News Special Report from the White House and WCNC continues to air Days Of Our Lives. I don't recall that they used to run 2 feeds and allow the local stations to choose. With major political news from Washington, I disagree with WCNC and their decision to keep running the soap opera. They should air the news report from the network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 11:54 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,811 posts, read 27,068,128 times
Reputation: 8888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Apparently NBC no longer requires the affiliates to air the special news reports. Because WYFF-4 is running the NBC News Special Report from the White House and WCNC continues to air Days Of Our Lives. I don't recall that they used to run 2 feeds and allow the local stations to choose. With major political news from Washington, I disagree with WCNC and their decision to keep running the soap opera. They should air the news report from the network.
Check it after the soap opera. If the soap gets better ratings than the show that follows it, they might be taping the news break in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 12:06 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,811 posts, read 27,068,128 times
Reputation: 8888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
But you should be able to get the Crowder's Mountain translator which is also now 9.1.
Just a thought. . .I did a rescan tonight & up popped channel 6 out of Augusta. It's a weather fluke for me, but you should be able to pull it in. It's ABC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,428 posts, read 4,290,450 times
Reputation: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Just a thought. . .I did a rescan tonight & up popped channel 6 out of Augusta. It's a weather fluke for me, but you should be able to pull it in. It's ABC.
No can't get Augusta here in Greenville County. But you can pull it in down in Greenwood and closer to Columbia.

As for ABC, I do get 13-WLOS from Asheville. But it requires a bit of strategic work including a VHF antenna, an appropriate moderate gain amplifier, FM trap, and possible attenuator. And often an indoor antenna may not get it. It is subject to noise and interference, and there must be a proper balance of strong and weak signals. Too much amplifier will wipe it out. WSPA channel 7 is much easier to receive, and I also get WBTV for CBS very strong.

I can often pull in WSOC after 7pm, including both the main Charlotte channel 34 and the Crowder's Mountain translator on 30. And the Roku gets the early evening newscasts, which is my main interest in Channel 9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,428 posts, read 4,290,450 times
Reputation: 1379
WCNC is now celebrating 50 hears of broadcasting. Notable personalities include Robert D. Raiford, Sonja Gantt, Dave Wagner,Larry Sprinkle, Hannah Storm, Beatrice Thompson,Jim Celania, Chuck Howard, Bobby Sisk, and Colleen Odegaard.

The station was previously owned by Ted Turner as an independent superstation, and was carried on many out of market cable systems back in the 1980's. Then the old Channel 36 became an NBC affiliate and was later sold to Group W-Westinghouse, and was later owned by Belo and now Tegna, the broadcasting division of Gannett.

Channel 36 was the original broadcast home for the PTL Club hosted by Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker who broadcast from an old furniture store on Independence Blvd. Later they moved to Heritage Village on Park Rd, before expanding to Heritage USA in Fort Mill, SC where they became a national network. The PTL show later moved from Channel 36 to Channel 18-WCCB.

Around 1987 Channel 36 moved their broadcast tower from Hood Rd. in Charlotte to a new location near Dallas in Gaston County. Their much taller 2000ft. tower gave them a much stronger signal that gave them a wider coverage area similar to WBTV, and it also strengthened their signal in Mecklenburg County. However, when WCNC converted to digital broadcasting, their new side mounted antenna resulted in a null to the west which weakened the signal in areas such as Kings Mountain and Shelby. Their previous analog antenna was more omnidirectional and did not have this null to the west. Despite the null, WCNC can still be received in Gaffney and Greenville-Spartanburg, but not as strong as WBTV.

In the 1980's Ted Turner sold Channel 36 to Group W to help finance his developing national news network now known as CNN. Today it is operated by Tegna as NBC Charlotte, and they share broadcast studios on Billy Graham Parkway with the NBC News Channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,428 posts, read 4,290,450 times
Reputation: 1379
Regarding the FCC repack which will occur in September 2019. As mentioned previously, WCNC will move from Channel 22 to Channel 24, and will increase power. However, preliminary permits issued by the FCC indicate their new digital antenna may remain side mounted and directional, rather than top mounting with an omnidirectional pattern. However, the null to the west may nevertheless be improved due to the fact that their new antenna will have elliptical polarization, rather than the current horizontal. By using both horizontal and vertical polarization, the signal may be stronger in the fringes with an elliptical pattern. That is the hope. Remains to be seen.

WBTV will remain the same, as their stick antenna is top mounted and omnidirectional on Channel 23. WJZY will also remain side mounted, but will move to Channel 25, although their pattern is more omnidirectional. WSOC will also remain top mounted and omnidirectional, but will move to Channel 19. It is uncertain if their Crowders Mountain translator will relocate or go off the air, as WYFF-4 in Greenville, SC will takeover Channel 30 which has been used by the WSOC translator.

There may be limitations by the FCC as to why WCNC and WJZY will not top mount their antennas and will remain side mounted. They are still very high on the tower, and by side mounting towards Charlotte, they can provide a stronger signal east of Mecklenburg in areas such as Union County and Anson County in NC, and Chesterfield County in SC. These are designated market areas for Charlotte signals, whereas Gaffney and Greenville-Spartanburg are not. But hopefully WCNC will correct the null to the west with the increased power and the new elliptical transmission pattern. Because Kings Mountain and Shelby are also designated market areas for the Charlotte stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC
7,179 posts, read 11,180,519 times
Reputation: 30729
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WCNC is now celebrating 50 hears of broadcasting. Notable personalities include Robert D. Raiford, Sonja Gantt, Dave Wagner,Larry Sprinkle, Hannah Storm, Beatrice Thompson,Jim Celania, Chuck Howard, Bobby Sisk, and Colleen Odegaard.

The station was previously owned by Ted Turner as an independent superstation, and was carried on many out of market cable systems back in the 1980's. Then the old Channel 36 became an NBC affiliate and was later sold to Group W-Westinghouse, and was later owned by Belo and now Tegna, the broadcasting division of Gannett.

Channel 36 was the original broadcast home for the PTL Club hosted by Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker who broadcast from an old furniture store on Independence Blvd. Later they moved to Heritage Village on Park Rd, before expanding to Heritage USA in Fort Mill, SC where they became a national network. The PTL show later moved from Channel 36 to Channel 18-WCCB.

Around 1987 Channel 36 moved their broadcast tower from Hood Rd. in Charlotte to a new location near Dallas in Gaston County. Their much taller 2000ft. tower gave them a much stronger signal that gave them a wider coverage area similar to WBTV, and it also strengthened their signal in Mecklenburg County. However, when WCNC converted to digital broadcasting, their new side mounted antenna resulted in a null to the west which weakened the signal in areas such as Kings Mountain and Shelby. Their previous analog antenna was more omnidirectional and did not have this null to the west. Despite the null, WCNC can still be received in Gaffney and Greenville-Spartanburg, but not as strong as WBTV.

In the 1980's Ted Turner sold Channel 36 to Group W to help finance his developing national news network now known as CNN. Today it is operated by Tegna as NBC Charlotte, and they share broadcast studios on Billy Graham Parkway with the NBC News Channel.
Interesting. Thanks for posting this history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,428 posts, read 4,290,450 times
Reputation: 1379
Should also mention that former WSOC meteorologists Jerry Peterson, Ray Boylan, and Terry Bennett also worked for WCNC at various intervals. Although Jerry only did commentary and features rather than the weather, if I recall correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top