Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:23 AM

370 posts, read 543,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's an issue with trolleys, & not a secret one.

I've been blasted in threads for stating the obvious that the accidents cause major disruptions. It doesn't have to be runaway trolleys, either. Cars hit the trolleys, too. I repeatedly said that the city should be looking at replacing the trolley lines with light rail lines.
That's a nice idea, but someone has to pay for it. The new rolling stock that'll be introduced with Phase 2 completion of the streetcar will help with the stopping concerns. My hope is we build out phase 2 of the line as planned then consider different options for the extension into East Charlotte. There are some smaller fixes the city can put in place to improve the system that will greatly assist it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 07:04 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Those 3 replica Gomaco trolleys were originally purchased to run on dedicated ROW that either was separated from traffic, or where there were gates/flagmen where the route crossed a street. Basically it was the LRT route from Dilworth to 9th St. I'm guessing they were not configured for driving on city streets if what is said above is true. It seem are are few to no safeguards built in.

This entire trolley project seems to be executed on an ad hoc basis by the city of Charlotte since it isn't an officially funded MTC project. (they dropped it several years back) The issue with traffic might be a symptom of that.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:28 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Those 3 replica Gomaco trolleys were originally purchased to run on dedicated ROW that either was separated from traffic, or where there were gates/flagmen where the route crossed a street. Basically it was the LRT route from Dilworth to 9th St. I'm guessing they were not configured for driving on city streets if what is said above is true. It seem are are few to no safeguards built in.

This entire trolley project seems to be executed on an ad hoc basis by the city of Charlotte since it isn't an officially funded MTC project. (they dropped it several years back) The issue with traffic might be a symptom of that.
The feds no longer support streetcars/trolleys.

Having shared the road with trolleys I can say that it's not the same as sharing the road with busses. The compromise is trackless trolleys. If John Doe has a heart attack while driving, his car can plow into a trolley. Thr driver might see it coming and can't swerve to avoid it. If Bill Smith's car suddenly stops & he is driving in the same lane, in front of the trolley, the trolley is going to plow into him. It's that simple.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:35 AM

279 posts, read 361,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Having shared the road with trolleys I can say that it's not the same as sharing the road with busses.
Amen to that. I really think the share the rode with traffic trolley is the worst thing the city could have down as far as its mass transit priorities.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:05 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-guy View Post
Amen to that. I really think the share the rode with traffic trolley is the worst thing the city could have down as far as its mass transit priorities.
I remember the feeling of absolute joy when Philadelphia converted a couple of trolley routes in Center City to trackless trolleys & ripped up the tracks & resurfaced the roads involved. I'd been playing dodge the trolley since I was 19 years old. Everyone who I knew who drove in the city was elated.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Someone needs training. Glad no one was seriously injured.

Seems like a few people are gloating or having an "i told you this was a bad idea" due to this incident.

Accidents happen, thankfully no one was killed.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:21 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
Are those "Bonus" points?
Me and my fat fingers

48000 pounds.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:24 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
The first day the new section of 485 opened, there was a bad car accident.

Today, someone was killed in an accident

Yesterday I think I got an alert a motorcycle accident occurred with serious injuries

A day before the streetcar got in an accident, I passed an SUV that got tore up from a CATS bus in Huntersville at the Gilead Statesville Road

The day the streetcar got in an accident due to operators issue, I passed two vehicle accidents and it took like 10 minutes per mile in stop and go traffic on I77. I could walk faster than that.

I have the WBTV app and majority of my alerts are of vehicle accidents

How many pedestrians and cyclist have been killed this year from vehicles?

A girl was struck and killed on July 4th from a person drinking and driving a boat

Vehicle accidents are soooo common and so many people a year die from vehicle accidents, I guess we are just used to it. But an error from a streetcar operator occurs and people go ham.

I guess every time I see someone killed in a vehicle accident on local social media, I'll be sure to post snarky comments regarding the streetcar

And for what it's worth, the gold line will carry a much much higher capacity than the red line from uptown to North Lake, Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson and Mooresville. It will offer more seats, have a larger ridership than the red line. The population density that will be around the gold line is enormous. Uptown and SouthEnd alone will probably exceed Mooresville's population by 2020. and that's less than 3 sq. miles compared to Mooresville 21

The gold line serves high density areas. Unlike a commuter rail to Mooresville or any other commuter line fantasies

Last edited by Charlotte485; 07-24-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-24-2015, 11:31 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
The gold line serves high density areas. Unlike a commuter rail to Mooresville or any other commuter line fantasies
Why are you making a comparison to the Red Line? This is about the trolley obliterating a minivan.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:51 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why are you making a comparison to the Red Line? This is about the trolley obliterating a minivan.

What about all vehicles obliterated today? I seen a lane on 485 was shut down and one person airlifted to a hospital due to an accident. Amazingly, no one bats an eye nor seems to care.

I guess it has to be Transgendered people using a bathroom, confederate flags, black lives matter or Streetcar to get people talking because serious issues never do. Just like councilwoman Mayfield said when tons of crazies came packed city council for the issue of transgendered bathrooms but no one showed up for a discussion on tax increases.

The streetcar in actuality is very cheap for our city. It's a fraction of the taxes that went to panthers upgrades (12 million vs. 28 million) Its less than a high school is getting for renovations.

It's just so silly of all things to say about the streetcar.... Safety is brought up.... Vehicles are much much much more dangerous than streetcar can ever be. To other vehicles. To pedestrians. To bicyclists.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 07-24-2015 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte