U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 02:45 PM

13 posts, read 24,712 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question on what everyone thinks is the best service for internet. Right now I know Google Fiber is coming ( 1 gigabit per second) but as to how far that will stretch outside of Charlotte city limits I don't know. I also know Time Warner has decided to increase their speeds to 300mbs to compete with Google Fiber. I also know AT&T Gigapower is coming as well, promising 1gig a second. I want speed at an affordable price. 1gig a second for 75 bucks sounds awesome. Even 300mbs at 75 bucks sounds awesome.

So having said all of that, and again I am new to the area, what is the best service do you think? Also, yes I would like to have a TV subscription but I wasn't sure if Satellite would be the best option. I know if I chose Time Warner I could bundle both and save some money.

Here is the biggest question I have of all. Since I am from Michigan, I would LOVE to be able to watch my local detroit ABC, NBC and CBS affiliate stations. You guys are going to hate me for this but they only reason I care about those is because sometimes, Michigan football is broadcast on them. I have to be able to watch Michigan. I don't think Time Warner or AT&T would allow me to watch Detroit affiliate stations but maybe Satellite, like Directv, will?

Sorry for this being long winded. Thank you so much for any advice you can lend me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 03:27 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,657,967 times
I don't know much on internet, I have Time -Warner at 57.99 but I believe they have faster service but I would need to bundle to make it economical. I have looked into Time-Warner but have decided against. It seems my friends that have T-W always complain about them. They were recently bought by Charter so not sure how that will play out. I have had DirecTV for 11 years and have been happy. I originally bought it for the NFL Pkg. I think they have good programing. You may be able to get UM or MSU football games with DirecTV with their Big Ten Network www.btn.com . Not sure why they would have Wolverine games but maybe because I'm a Buckeye fan

Old 07-24-2015, 04:20 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,857,666 times
It depends on where you will be living. And it's pretty precise. For an example, I can only get Windstream or Time Warner. But if I lived a few streets over, I would be able to get Uverse.

Best bet for sports on tv is to go with satellite and get their nfl ticket to be sure to get all the Michigan games. Plus they will offer to bundle with a local internet provider as well. I know Direct TV used to be with Roadrunner which is affiliated with Time Warner. (It's been a year since I had satellite)

Old 07-24-2015, 08:26 PM

13 posts, read 24,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
It depends on where you will be living. And it's pretty precise. For an example, I can only get Windstream or Time Warner. But if I lived a few streets over, I would be able to get Uverse.

Best bet for sports on tv is to go with satellite and get their nfl ticket to be sure to get all the Michigan games. Plus they will offer to bundle with a local internet provider as well. I know Direct TV used to be with Roadrunner which is affiliated with Time Warner. (It's been a year since I had satellite)
If you don't mind me asking, why did you give up Satellite? I've never had it before and I've always wondered about the signal going out.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:34 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,857,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedance3 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why did you give up Satellite? I've never had it before and I've always wondered about the signal going out.
I've cut the cord along with my kids. We only watch on roku or chromebox. Hubby loves his nat geo/hgtv/diy net etc so we compromised and got just one tv with cable for him. It was cheaper to do this with time warner than satellite. I'm also hoping to swing him over to cutting the cord completely once his favorite channels are online. There are a few that is now available online and he watches it on the smart tv.

If you have whole house dvr, you can watch your dvr on rainy days. In the 6 years we've had satellite, it goes out about twice a year and for few minutes. We don't get really heavy storms.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:40 AM

423 posts, read 661,395 times
My husband works from home on the computer, and we have TW for internet. Our research showed it was the fastest, and hopefully this faster service will be soon. We don't have the UVerse option. We have Direct TV so we can watch any football game we'd like. This is not the most economical situation we have, but we'd rather spend money to get what we want in this case. Personally, I like Direct TV more than TWC. It rarely goes out, and their DVR is much better than TWC's is.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:06 AM

924 posts, read 1,853,206 times
I agree with lauralayin. I live in Union County and in our area our only option is TW and Frontier. So, we have Directv and TW for Internet and phone. If anything other than Frontier is ever available, I will switch in a heartbeat. TW has the worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with and I do not like cable. We have had Directv for 16 years and we love it.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 AM

533 posts, read 764,393 times
TWC for internet. Direct TV for TV.

Seems to be the cheapest for me.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:07 PM

97 posts, read 98,158 times
I live in Union County..Direct TV (NFL pkge) and Winstream for internet. Happy with both. During a storm we can loose TV but not for long and watch our recordings in the meantime..but usually no more than 30 min at most..hope that helps

Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,368,263 times
As of right now, Google has only signed contracts with the City of Charlotte to build infrastructure. Until that changes (and it may), there will not be any hubs in the surrounding towns (Matthews, Pineville, Huntersville, etc.) or counties. Even where infrastructure is being built now, there won't be more than a symbolic "first in fiber" neighborhood lit up within a year, probably not before 2017 at the earliest.

I use Time Warner, and they're in the midst of upgrading the whole area to a maximum speed of 300Mbps (usually over-provisioned by 10-20%). Cheaper and slower tiers will be available.

I tried using Windstream 6Mbps service for a few months. If we ever saw 6Mbps, it was on a rare occasion. I constantly had to reboot the modem due to connection failures. DSL is an old technology and Windstream isn't putting any money into updating their plants. Take a look at this for a flavor of their service issues: Windstream forum | DSLReports, ISP Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or