U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 AM
PDF PDF started this thread
 
11,386 posts, read 10,464,395 times
Reputation: 6606

Advertisements

Interesting responses here. I'm not sure if I'll like HT, never been a fan of Kroger companies. Winn-Dixie here in FL is pretty terrible and doesn't come close to Publix. It seems like the opinion on Publix in NC is divided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2015, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,438 posts, read 4,309,232 times
Reputation: 1389
Harris Teeter was only recently acquired by Kroger, and is more upscale than the other Kroger brands. And it still maintains its own independent management as a separate division of Kroger. Still a nice store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 12:01 PM
 
357 posts, read 559,391 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Interesting responses here. I'm not sure if I'll like HT, never been a fan of Kroger companies. Winn-Dixie here in FL is pretty terrible and doesn't come close to Publix. It seems like the opinion on Publix in NC is divided.
You have to remember that Publix is still quite new here.

Aside from my "Snarky" remarks, in response to some others, who clearly would rather be left alone and shop elsewhere, you'd get a better average taking some time, looking through the responses in this thread.

A NEW Publix Supermarket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 12:32 PM
 
661 posts, read 574,675 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
You have to remember that Publix is still quite new here.

Aside from my "Snarky" remarks, in response to some others, who clearly would rather be left alone and shop elsewhere, you'd get a better average taking some time, looking through the responses in this thread.

A NEW Publix Supermarket
Both HT&Publix are nice overpriced stores period. You also have customers like me who don't shop at any one store exclusively. I can walk from my house to a HT,Bi-Lo, Aldi as well as a future Publix. There are 3 other HT's, Food Lion,Fresh Market,Trader Joe's, 2 super Wally World's, Sam's Club& Super Target within a 15 minute drive from my house. The major issue that Publix will have in Mecklenburg is that their locations are likely to be surrounded by multiple HT's & convience trumps almost everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 3,779,000 times
Reputation: 3505
After living in Florida and shopping at Publix I can say their customer service is much better than Harris Teeter. Harris Teeter is a little more upscale, but there service is really lacking compared to Publix. This will probably change when Publix becomes more established in NC.

I also like the fact that Publix is not publicly traded and they treat their employees well compared to most grocery chains. That could have something to do with the better service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 02:20 PM
 
3,451 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
After living in Florida and shopping at Publix I can say their customer service is much better than Harris Teeter. Harris Teeter is a little more upscale, but there service is really lacking compared to Publix. This will probably change when Publix becomes more established in NC.

I also like the fact that Publix is not publicly traded and they treat their employees well compared to most grocery chains. That could have something to do with the better service.
I could care less about customer service at a grocery store but I'm sure it matters to others. I think Publix will do well but I'm all about convenience and cost....so Food Lion, HT, etc is ok with me.

Waiting a couple of extra minutes to purchase items or on the slow Deli service person is absolutely of no concern to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 3,779,000 times
Reputation: 3505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I could care less about customer service at a grocery store but I'm sure it matters to others. I think Publix will do well but I'm all about convenience and cost....so Food Lion, HT, etc is ok with me.

Waiting a couple of extra minutes to purchase items or on the slow Deli service person is absolutely of no concern to me.
The biggest complaint I have is using their self checkout. Often times there is no one watching the self checkout(even during busy times) and the machines need input from an employee constantly. The employees are always friendly, but they're sometimes hard to find when you need them. I use the self checkout because the regular lines are always backed up. I believe it's more of a staffing issue.

Publix on the other hand usually gets people thru the checkout pretty efficiently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 03:56 PM
 
44,352 posts, read 17,716,609 times
Reputation: 18666
Public, by far, has the best bakery of all the stores in the area. They actually rise the dough from scratch instead of pushing frozen dough into an oven. It makes a big difference. Their prices are better on it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 PM
PDF PDF started this thread
 
11,386 posts, read 10,464,395 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
You have to remember that Publix is still quite new here.

Aside from my "Snarky" remarks, in response to some others, who clearly would rather be left alone and shop elsewhere, you'd get a better average taking some time, looking through the responses in this thread.

A NEW Publix Supermarket
Thanks, I will read through that. With Publix being new to NC, I was just very curious what the reactions were. I suppose when Publix is all over Charlotte and Raleigh, then those who dislike Publix will have warmed up to them and have formed a different opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 08:21 PM
PDF PDF started this thread
 
11,386 posts, read 10,464,395 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I could care less about customer service at a grocery store but I'm sure it matters to others. I think Publix will do well but I'm all about convenience and cost....so Food Lion, HT, etc is ok with me.

Waiting a couple of extra minutes to purchase items or on the slow Deli service person is absolutely of no concern to me.
Publix's customer service is great, but I care more about having a clean store that is always stocked. So many grocery chains in the US fail to do the basics well, and that's where Publix succeeds.. Every Kroger chain I've been in has been awful on presentation and cleanliness compared to Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top